FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anger issues and PTSD

PumpkinPie
Community Member
My husband was diagnosed with PTSD in 2014. He was slowly getting better and easier to live with. He had a car accident in March this year which triggered it again. Does anyone know if the terrible anger ever goes? I am sick of him yelling ,swearing at people he doesnt even know and yelling abuse at people on the TV if he doesnt agree with their opinion. His counselor says he is better and doesnt have any anger issues.
4 Replies 4

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi PumpkinPie

I think he would need to try and work on it for it to go away -

I can understand the rage that may come up in someone who has PTSD, there's so much suppressed emotion and pain, unspeakable pain, so that could be one way it comes out. But you shouldn't have to suffer because of that, Pumkin Pie, nor should the people he doesn't know who he launhes his verbal tirades at....

I have PTSD and am usually calm but every so oten I feel a lot of rage, usually triggered

around abuse and neglect - if I think someone is being abused or neglected - I get angry.
Is that the way it is with ur husband? Is it some moral ground he's taking? Maybe he's trying to right some wrong he perceives in society - eg he sees people doing what he thinks is "wrong" or harmful, and wants to fix it.
I would advise he stays away from triggers or people that anger him, and also be able to remove himself from a situation where he is enraged, so he doesn't cause harm to others. Anger has a place but cannot be unleashed without control. what do you think?

Most of it seems to be around the American election . He is pro Biden ( anti trump) I am working from home and often he’ll read something on Facebook and start yelling at swearing at the person whoposted the comment. Often I am on the phone to a customer and they can hear him so they either gang up or start abusing me fir letting him do it.

The other thing is the news. That sets him off too, as does the neighbours and even people in the street he doesn’t know. He just disagrees with what they are saying

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi PumpkinPie

I've been diagnosed with C-PTSD. I've had it for years but for specific reasons I was only formally diagnosed this year.

I know this rage. All too well tbh.

I don't experience the rage anymore but I've had A LOT of support from MH professionals for years and a specific trauma psych this year too. Plus I've done my own research and read STACKS to understand and help myself recover.

The first thing I had to do this year was ACCEPT I had it (I had resolved the rage before this year mostly). Your H needs to not only accept the PTSD and know he CAN do alot about it but also his reactions of fury and how this is impacting you in so many ways.

Clearly his Counsellor is WRONG.
I'm not sure about the protocols there but you could make an appt with the C and tell your side of things.

Or a marriage Counsellor could help?

Best wishes
EM

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hey - i think ur husband might need to for example - take a break from reading the news etc - but I wander if he knows he has a problem, if not he wuld not be willing to "treat" it
I suffer from rage sometimes with triggers too... it's really scary.

I push a lot of ppl away if I get triggered that they will abandon me which they usually do.
Sometimes counsellors collude with the problem and enable it - these counsellors are not the right ones - There are a lot like that.