FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Christmas and New Years without family

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello everyone,

To me, Christmas is family time and time spent with loved ones. Unfortunately, most of my family are overseas in China, my immediate family here is split (father and mother divorced) and my partner is overseas on a holiday since I had to stay home to take care of my dad's dog. So it's been quite a lonely holiday period for me. Yet, I imagine it must be even harder for those who live here on their own with no family here, for whatever reason. I have tried to do as many things as possible with friends, but it's still quite a sad time for me. Does anyone else feel similarly?

James

6 Replies 6

Suet suet
Community Member

Hi James,

I just only have my family members here too - 4 people. My siblings are not around. I don’t feel like festival as well as I don’t really celebrate much. The only thing is that we have kids here so school holiday and public holiday from work.

Not really have my extended family members around at Xmas time. So you are not alone. I think many people are like that too. Did you have friends around to have a gathering or something? Maybe a cup of tea or coffee and a chat?

Sasha74
Community Member
Yes, I’m struggling too. Hence on this site.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Suet suet,

Yes, it can be very difficult to not even have siblings. My mother's family is used to being very close. In China, they live within walking distance and so they are always having dinner at my grandma's place. For my mother, living alone in Australia is quite hard, let alone at Christmas time when she does not have her siblings, my aunts and uncles, to celebrate with.

Most of my friends do family things, so it's quite lonely. But I do my best to meet friends...but friends aren't family, even if it is nice to see them.

Hello Sasha74,

That is a shame, but I am glad to know you have found your way here. I hope you find the forums useful. It'd be lovely to see you around the forums.

James

Hi James,

maybe you should think of having a restful holiday yourself this year.

I remember last year we celebrated the Christmas festival with a big group of people (24) together. Some were relatives flying from overseas some from inter-states and some from the local. I ended up spending a fortunate to buy presents and also received a lot of unwanted presents. What’s more!? Eating a lot of junk foods and packing on a extra few pounds hahaha. After the holiday was over, I had to start some harsh exercises. Not that I wanted. 😝

Hi James

Excuse the belated reply...and yes I feel the same too...

Mum and Dad separated after 49 year of marriage a while ago now and dad passed away in 2016

It is very difficult James...I hear you

my kind thoughts

Paul

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

hey suet suet,

Yeah, it ended up being pretty relaxed over Christmas -> New Years. I just came back from a week in Korea which was fun, then back to work on Monday.

Hello Paul,

I'm sad to hear that. It sounds very difficult indeed.

James