FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

(Trigger warning) PTSD after being stabbed

Guest_08B8CB20
Community Member
I feel after i was stabbed nearly 1year ago in the chest heart arterie severed , punctured left lung ,fractured rib rushed to icu injuries were life threatening,i am struggling to deal with life i live in constant fear especially around people i public i have no family support but do have friends but i feel a burden to them all, the flashbacks are out off control especially when sleeping,i dont no what to do i dont have the desire to do much in life anymore i seam to have lost interest in working hobbies even going for a surf i have 4weeks left at were im staying now and the time has come for me to ask for help as i put on a brave face but deep down im feel broken, what do you suggest would be something that could help me with dealing with this nighmare i deal with everynight i go to sleep
227 Replies 227

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jacezz, welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear of your traumatic experience, I can only begin to imagine how frightening that was and it's understandable that you're still suffering.

I'm wondering if you are receiving any help from your doctor or a psychologist. I have no personal experience of post-traumatic stress, but from what I understand, sufferers can benefit most from professional help, especially talking therapy with a psych who really knows PTSD.

Your doctor can put you on a mental health plan, under which you can have subsidised sessions with a psychologist. I strongly recommend it mate.

Please don't feel you need to hide this - PTSD is far more common than you might think, and needs treatment as early as possible. It can consume you if you don't get some help.

There are quite a lot of people on the forum who have been through traumatic events and no doubt they will have more advice and support, so please keep checking in.

Very best to you Jacezz

Kaz

MarkJT
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Jacezz, yes you have PTSD. The good news is that you can, with the appropriate treatment, get back to normal life.

I was diagnosed with PTSD, depression and anxiety in Feb 2013 from an incident i attended as a copper in 2003. Now i will say straight off that my demons were caused by visual not physical like you. I cannot begin to fathom what it would be like for you after what you have been through physically but mentally, I can give you some hints as to how i got my life back. I was hospitalised and off work for nearly two months. Two and a half years later, after steadily increasing my hours, I returned to full time work.

I used to suffer horrendous nightmares and flashbacks. How i countered these was undertaking a course of exposure therapy. This is a very difficult process to go through but one that i would not hesitate in going through again. You are basically deliberately triggering the bejesus out of yourself time and time again in the presence of a psych who is monitoring. The theory is that the more you confront it, the less power the images (for me) and event (for you) has. It works on around 30-40% of people, luckily for me, i was in the 30%. I flashback all the time still but as the images have no power, it doesn't cause me stress. The key to this is to have a really good relationship with your psych.

A mate of mine is undergoing EMDR but is doing it slowly as each time he has a session, he vomits the flashbacks are that powerful. I didn't do this but it is well recommended for PTSD sufferers.

You need to discuss these two with your psych.

Have you got any limitations from the physical injuries? Exercise was enormous in my recovery. I ran and ran and ran, not quite Forrest Gump style but did run heaps. It allowed me to escape. To be by myself and think things through. To set myself goals of just getting through the day. If not running, walking, hiking, swimming, sports, riding. Anything to get the body moving. Body movement is crucial to good health.

Mindfulness, if you don't know about it, research it and do it. Download an app to your phone. I use Smiling Mind every morning and it calms me down & sets me up for the day ahead. It is crucial to my continuing recovery and overall health.

What you are experiencing is pretty much "normal" for PTSD, you are not alone in your journey. If you are not seeing a psych, you need to. Brilliant that you have reached out, well done. Look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Take care

Mark.

Hi MarkJT's Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself i have been doing things pretty much on my own as i have lost faith in the system the guy who stabbed me was out on bail before i was out off icu i was stabbed at a place were i was receiving help for something that happened to me when i was only a child 7/8 years old i was staying in a hostle receiving counseling for ptsd then in a place i thought i was safei was stabbed buy someone else who obviously was not well himself he has pleaded guilty AOGBH and is up for sentencing next month as a result they had to evict me i was discharge from hospital from state major trauma unit with no were to go so as you could maybe understand i have lost all faith a now struggle with trusting people in general im not really sure what my next step is but was thinking off selling my car and being alone the flash back are more vivid than when it happened i do suffer from tighten in my chest and my right for finger is painful to move but i can deal with that its the constant nightmares that really disturb me especially if its the way i wake up and start my day its like i have to get up constantly stay awake for 20 mins otherwise im straight back into being stabbed i my lake off faith in the system just everything i feel i just want to be alone and no longer be a burdon and keep talking about what im going throuhg dose that make any sence

Hi Kazzi i just sent a reply im not sure how to send it on to you but thank you so much for caring im going to see if i can forward it on to you kind regards Jason

Guest_08B8CB20
Community Member
  1. Your quote goes here
    MarkJT's

Jacezz said:
  1. Your quote goes here
    MarkJT's

Hi Kazzl please check my reply sent to MarkJT's hope you receive it kind regards Jacezz

hello Jacezz, such a terrible assault for you and then struggling with PTSD memories is such an awful experience.
Just briefly I was assaulted from behind by a couple of bikies where my head hit the concrete and developed a blood clot on the brain plus it formed epilepsy, and even now after 33 years whenever I see a group of bikies I have to go anywhere as long as it's far away, because the damage all of this caused me has been horrific, but now I have been back on my feet for a long time, but that doesn't mean that I am cured, I wish that I could be the same as Mark on this issue, but everyone is different.
What I can suggest is for you to realise that any person walking down the street is not going to stab you, because that's what you are worried about, so to walk where people are would be a good way for you to fight this feeling and hopefully overcome this PTSD, but not only do this you will need support from a psychologist who can hel along the way. Geoff.

Hi Kazzl hope your well and i do appreciate your input you no i struggle alot with trusting people i will run you through what and were it happened first off all i was in a religious mens hostle and receiving counseling for ptsd anxiety etc for something that happened to me when i was a child age 7/8 as a result my family has made ever excuse you could think of and i have been shunned away and have no contact, i wish i never brought it up the trouble it has caused, i think i had received 4 counseling sessions on that issue, when someone who obviously had his own issues nearly killed me he was out on bail before i was out off icu there is one off my trust issues because i have no family support i believe i get treated differently to others,after5/6 days i was sent on my way i walked back to hostle with no were to go i went back to hostel packed my car with all these staples and injuries and high on pain medication , it was policy because he was on bail that they evicted me so they say i have lost my faith in god ,hospitals and people in general im trying now to see a psychologist but its not that simple i was on a health care plan and had 1 treatment with a counselor through my gp but it took over 1 half hour return trip so i stopped i asked him early this week if i could continue to see him but told me now he is private so this is now why i trying to go through the government system to see a psychologist but I am still very reluctant as i do have major trust issues with them don't no what to do but i do no i have to find a place to stay shortly was thinking to sell my car and buy a campervan and just surf meditate and be alone as i feel it is draining on my friends i dont enjoy feeling like a burden to the people around me it seems controling every aspect of my thanks for hearing me out its prob better i dont keep on of loading my problems onto my few good friends after all everyone has there own issues thanks once again Karrl best wishes always Jason

Hi Mark i have taken some of your advice and have pushed myself to get up early and do something i used to do alot of and that is getting back in the ocean for a surf i also have made opointment to see psychologist but im still very reluctant given the opinion i have and trust issues ,thanks for advice once again, Jason