FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Starting university terror

Unigurl18
Community Member

Hi, 

I’m new to this, and I’ve never done something like this before, but I need to talk about this. 
I am starting university in 6 days and the terror of it is just getting bigger. I talked to my mum about it and I felt a little better about how scared I am about starting uni but I woke up today and felt the same. 
I just have a continual sense of impending doom about starting uni and I might be being silly, but no matter what I do I’m still really frightened. 
I must admit that I’ve been struggling with feelings of emptiness for a while which has gotten a bit better a little while ago but it got worse again the closer I get to starting university. 
I don’t know if anyone feels the same or understands what I’m feeling, or maybe I’m just overreacting, but I just wanted to put it out there. 
thanks 

3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Unigurl18~

Welcome here to to Forum, its a good place to come to help you realize you are not alone.  The prospect of uni can be terrifying, partly becuse it is a new way of learning, partly becuse you do not know how well you will cope, and partly it's the same as any radical new venture -it can be pretty daunting.

I taught 1st semester 1st years a lot at uni and they were a mix. There were some that just went becuse htere parents made them - and they did not last. They had no interest and felt resentful. They soon drifted away. There were a few who were super-keen with tons of brains and application, they did exceedingly well of course.

Then there were the majority, and most felt exactly like you. You very quickly learned the uni wanted you to pass, and the work was not beyond an average person's reach. If you were lucky you had a lecturer or tutor that could bring a subject alive so you actually enjoyed it.

By half way through first semester things had settled down, you knew if you had difficulties you could get help, and may even find yourself helping others. You might even make a few new friends.

In short it is not how you imagine it, it's much better. You write well and I"m sure you will be fine.

You are also smart enough to seek advice, eihter with you mum, or here or elswhere. You are well equipped.

If you'd like to say how you get on I'd be very interested

Croix

Unigurl18
Community Member

Hi Croix, 

Thank you so much for your reply, it’s done alot to ease my nerves, and I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. 
best wishes 

unigurl18

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Unigurl18~

My pleasure, there are many who have felt like you - if you feel like letting us know how your first few days go that would be great.

Croix