FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling down due to fatigue & undiagnosed health issues

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I haven't been using the forums much apart from a couple of responses to others posts. I stopped as I was too busy & trying to keep up with the forums was becoming too stressful. In September My husband went to Europe which was great although tiring due to the pace of the tour we did. Unfortunately a few days before returning home I fell heavily on concrete steps hurting my right side. I continued on relying on icepacks to manage the pain. I couldn't sleep because of the pain when lying down. The last day I came down with a bad cold which developed into a chest infection later on. The pain eased after 6 weeks & I recovered from the chest infection but have ongoing problems with fatigue & abdominal discomfort. My GP arranged pathology tests. The blood tests are normal but urine isn't. Today I was sent for a ultrasound of kidneys & bladder. Next week I have a gastroscopy & colonoscopy. My stress levels seem to be escalating out of proportion each time I see the GP & get sent for more tests. Prior to my accident my mental health issues were settling down but the last week it is much worse. I have lost my temper a few times in the last week without much provocation. This is not normal for me. I have been on a diet for several months but I am now finding it really hard to stick to it I just want to go & eat food I know will make me feel worse. The diet is a healthy one which I normally find easy to stick to because the food is satisfying.

I just want to get back on track & feel in control of my life & not feel so stressed & down. I also feel guilty for feeling this way because There is no confirmation of a serious illness.

974 Replies 974

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Unable to sleep due to warm weather. I feel like summer is just time to endure. I don't have any motivation.

Hi Elizabeth and All,

It seems my new medication is allowing me to have a sense of motivation and meaningfulness, only it is too darn hot to be doing anything much outside unless it is early in the morning. I have not felt like this for most of the year so it is good!

I could clean out some cupboards maybe! We are very fortunate and have air conditioning.

Hope you are able to find motivation to do something Elizabeth, even if it is just sitting quietly thinking of your blessings, colouring a picture or reading.

Cheers to you from Dools

I'm really glad your medication is allowing you to feel much better. Can we send this hot weather up north were it belongs!!!!

I saw my psych today. I'm really struggling with the heat. This has multiple impacts. In hot weather I'm cooped up inside with the blinds down to keep the heat out. Spending so much time in semi darkness really affects me. I feel like I'm wasting time waiting for the summer to pass so I can live again. My psych suggested going to the mountains where it is cooler but last time I did this bushfires broke out nearby forcing us to return home to safety. I'm not good at the beach in hot weather. I can only go as it goes dark. As I said to my psych I want to run away & leave Australia but my family is here. I have been asked to plan one regular activity each week to do on my own (as a break from my caring role) which gets me out of the house & into a cool environment. I'm considering going to a genealogy library to do some family history. I need some other ideas if that doesn't work out. There a lot of other things I need to be doing but I'm struggling to find time. For example I need to spend more time helping my husband with his physio as he seems to be going downhill but it is hard as so many of the exercised are dangerous to do after he has eaten so we have to wait several hours by which time other things come up. I feel like a failure. My psych tried to reassure me that I'm doing my best but this isn't enough. Both our quality of life will be affected if I don't do more to help him.

Sorry I needed to vent. I realise others have more serious issues but I'm not coping

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Elizabeht~

I think the suggestion of getting out and concentrating on something else is a realy excellent one. Genealogy is an absorbing pastime and unearths all sorts of unexpected facts (hopefully nice ones:). Many libraries, at least in my state, hold classes on the subject to enable you to use their resources better.

Actually any sort of getting away is good, even such a pedestrian thing as going to the movies.

I really hope this works out

Croix

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks Croix. I think I might write 2 lists of places One for when the weather is OK & the other to escape the heat & house. I then need to set a time & just do it. That will take some doing as my diary seems to be overcrowded with appointments etc. I seem to be expected to babysit quite a bit. I enjoy my grandkids but find it hard when it is so often & particularly when it is all day.

I had a meltdown today after finding out I'm expected to babysit Tuesday with forecast of 35. Trying to keep 2 kids entertained inside at that temperature horrifies me & I don't know what else to do. Then found out Thursday & Fri both very high 30's with low mid 20s. I need to escape totally as I can't cope with the idea of driving in the heat for only 2-3 hrs & then back. I feel like I'can't live in the summer. The short bursts of decent weather are so overshadowed by the heat.Sorry I'm feeling really negative & unable to motivate myself

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Elizabeth,

Im sorry you had a meltdown this morning, I hope your feeling somewhat better now..

When my kids were little and the day was hot, we had no air conditioner and the house was so hot...I used to run a cool bath for then and give then a water pistol each, some bath toys a bubble maker and a couple of face washers each....They loved it and played for hours laughing and staying cool, I used to also stay in the bathroom and sit down on a cushion on the floor with some music playing and watch them having fun, sometimes I would read a book or do games on my phone....Just a little suggestion that may help keep them cool and you entertained and distracted from your triggers.....

Dont be sorry about feeling negative, that’s what here is for..Do you have airconditing for the hot days?..

Grandy

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thank you Grandy. I hope you are doing better.

Today has been a disaster. It was very hot & I was expected to babysit. We did get to the park for a bit before it heated up too much but most of the time they were stuck inside which meant my house ended up a disaster. While making lunch I discovered water in the cupboard. I had to empty 2 double cupboards to find so much hot water leaking from a pipe it steam was condensing on the underside of the drainboard & dripping into the next cupboard. I'm now left with stuff on every kitchen bench until I get the plumber to check the pipes & the cupboard dries. The plumber wouldn't answer, I couldn't work out how to turn off the hot water. My son helped when he arrived to pick up his kids but that was after hours of water running. My floor is water damaged as well as the cupboards. I was already struggling before this happened but have been unable to cope since. I feel useless & out of control. I can't face dealing with the mess. I hate living in a mess.