FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Battling the booze

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

When the black dog bites, many of us reach for a drink. It can ease the pain, help us relax, block out what's going on in our minds. If it's just the odd drink now and then, even one or two a night, there's no harm and maybe even welcome relief. But for some of us, many in fact, literally drowning our sorrows becomes a problem in itself. We drink more and more until the booze takes over, and drinking becomes all we want to do. 

That was me for a long time until I finally realised the combination of booze and depression would kill me. If I wanted to live, if I wanted to be able to manage my depression, I had to get sober. I did, nearly five years ago, and it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

If booze is controlling you and you're not controlling it, this thread is for you. If you want to regain control - get sober or moderate your drinking (which for many is harder than quitting) or if you're worried you are drinking too much, join us here.

On this thread I'll talk about my battle with the booze and offer advice and support to anyone who is struggling. I welcome anyone who's been there or is worried they are going there, to join in. And I hope others now living sober will come here to help our friends who are struggling.

One thing this thread is not is a place to discuss how much a drink or two helps you. It's not an anti-alcohol thread, but it's not a general discussion about alcohol either. It's for people who are genuinely worried about it or who want to control it, and it's a place of celebration (without judgment about drinkers) for those of us who are now living sober.

I hope anyone who's battling the booze will join us.

Cheers 😀

Kaz 

455 Replies 455

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Sherie - I'm still here hun. If you're around please let me know you're OK. I'm worried about that scotch bottle. If your husband comes in drunk and you're drinking it could get ugly - been there too many times. I'll be here for a while yet.

Kaz 

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

hey Kaz...no worries....Tony just gave me a recipe in the Cafe....that was really nice of him...Yum!

Can you please give Sherie a hug for me....:-) I am very worried about her sleep....Bless her kind heart....x

This site is very good Kaz....sometimes we have to remember that typing on here is the same as texting on a cell phone....Like Black & White TV....its lacks colour....Our conversations are limited by typing compared to a 'phone call' when we have a clearer understanding of what is being said....If that made any sense sorry Kaz..

Paul's Trivia : 'Only 40% of kids (14-25 years of age) use their cell phone as a phone......lol.....The bulk use them for texting and data....I must be getting old Kaz...

Thankyou for being there xx

WOOF!!

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
You're a better man than I am Paul.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Roger that Kaz...x

Guest_5218
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm okay, and thankyou for your concern.

Yes, I've put the scotch bottle away.

Kaz I'm really sorry to hear about your little dog.  How upsetting!  Will he be okay?

Sherie xx

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hey Sherie xx Good to see you. Shelley and I are on your thread at the moment waiting for you. See you there.

Guest_5218
Community Member

Kaz, Paul, Elizabeth,

Thank you all very much for your support.  You have all helped, a lot.    ( - :

Feeling pretty 'rusty', but I'm okay now.

Heading back to bed.

Thanks .........

Sherie xx

Sherie Kaz Elizabeth

You have also helped me too Sherie...Kaz and Elizabeth

Thankyou for being there guys

3:51am......nite 

Paul xo

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
dear Kaz, sorry I'm a few days late in coming back to this that was started by you.
Is there anybody better off than someone else, we may think so and then believe it's true, so there is a great chance
that we use alcohol just to compensate on how we are feeling, but instead of thinking that way, we have to take into
account all the different circumstances, such as work, how we are getting on with our family and the last but not the
least is if we are suffering more from depression.
Ask yourself 'are all alcoholics depressed in some way', and then do they get 'involved in things that were making them
want to drink', but if you're an alcoholic then anything is an excuse to drink, because the temptation is so strong to
make you think 'I need a drink', and this can happen when something sad happens, or when something good happens, because
'it's a celebration and why not'.
Time means nothing does it when you want a drink, as it's 'half a glass full half a glass empty', as there's is no bottom
in the glass, it needs to be full all the time.
If you lay in bed and can't sleep, then you tend to think that if I have just one drink it will make me go to sleep, sure
but then the taste of alcohol takes over and your back to being blotto, and so the routine continues, drinking everyday,
but if depression has got a hold of you, then having a family doesn't matter, because the alcohol is much stronger and
certainly needed, more than what your family are asking of you.
To overcome the need for grog takes great determination, and your doctor can help you with medication, only if you
seriously want to stop, otherwise it's a waste of time, but not only this you also need help in stopping. Geoff. x

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thank you Geoff, you've described it perfectly. And you've raise a good point that a lot of people might not know - there is medication available to help you stop drinking, in fact it will make you feel very ill if you do drink. 

'Only if you seriously want to stop' - that's the key to it all eh? To succeed in quitting you must really want to quit, more than anything else. It's so very hard - but you can do it if you have that 'great determination'.

Great post Geoff.