FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Battling the booze

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

When the black dog bites, many of us reach for a drink. It can ease the pain, help us relax, block out what's going on in our minds. If it's just the odd drink now and then, even one or two a night, there's no harm and maybe even welcome relief. But for some of us, many in fact, literally drowning our sorrows becomes a problem in itself. We drink more and more until the booze takes over, and drinking becomes all we want to do. 

That was me for a long time until I finally realised the combination of booze and depression would kill me. If I wanted to live, if I wanted to be able to manage my depression, I had to get sober. I did, nearly five years ago, and it's the hardest thing I've ever done.

If booze is controlling you and you're not controlling it, this thread is for you. If you want to regain control - get sober or moderate your drinking (which for many is harder than quitting) or if you're worried you are drinking too much, join us here.

On this thread I'll talk about my battle with the booze and offer advice and support to anyone who is struggling. I welcome anyone who's been there or is worried they are going there, to join in. And I hope others now living sober will come here to help our friends who are struggling.

One thing this thread is not is a place to discuss how much a drink or two helps you. It's not an anti-alcohol thread, but it's not a general discussion about alcohol either. It's for people who are genuinely worried about it or who want to control it, and it's a place of celebration (without judgment about drinkers) for those of us who are now living sober.

I hope anyone who's battling the booze will join us.

Cheers 😀

Kaz 

455 Replies 455

Guest_5218
Community Member

Hi Kaz,

I havent seen very much of you for a while now.  I hope you're okay?  You have taken on such a lot lately, and I just hope you arent overdoing things.  I read on another thread that you were feeling 'frazzled'.

Today I have had a busy morning, some good and some bad aspects.  This afternoon has been decidedly more bad than good.  I have been quite upset by a few posts this afternoon as well, which hasnt helped my thinking. Now I am feeling really tired, sad and even a little angry.  I feel defeated and kind of deflated.

Hubby is down at the pub, after I dropped him off there a couple of hours ago.  Probably wont be back until around 9pm.  So I'm here on my own.  I've already had 2 double scotches, and concerningly I am very  tempted to have a few more.  To drown my sorrows, to forget things that I just dont want to remember, and to get some sleep tonight.  Just a one-off .............  Is that selfish of me?

Sherie 

Guest_5218
Community Member

Are you there Kaz?  I need your voice of reason.  I'm not feeling good at all.  But I am also concerned for you.  Tell me that you're okay.  Please ...

Sorry for butting in here but I'm concerned for you Sherie. You have been struggling so much without sleep & little support. Please try to resist the temptation to drink to drown out the problems. See your GP & get some sleeping tablets & advice to use them properly to give you the rest you need so you can cope & don't do something you will regret. You are not selfish for being tempted to drink to excess under the circumstances. Look after yourself. I hope you don't feel upset by my comments I just care about you.

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Sherie hun, I'm here. I'm OK thanks mate. I'd decided to stay off tonight because I didn't want to get any further involved in things that were making me want to drink, especially after a terrible time with a sick little dog who's been savaged by another dog (not my other one). 

Anyway, that's another story. I know you're not feeling good hun and I send you much love, hugs and kisses. I'm glad I looked in and found you. I know how upsetting that was for you and I'm so sorry it happened. It was a non-issue that became an issue and shouldn't have in my opinion. 

Voice of reason? Well, I'm not feeling that reasonable. All I can say is this should be a place for everyone to express themselves in a way that works for them and doesn't harm others. How giving love and compassion can harm anyone is beyond me. You can hug me any time you like.

Now ... tell me please ... have you put the scotch away? How about you join me in the cafe for a chai latte? I'll make it myself, if you tell me how 😊 xxxx

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Elizabeth - you are not butting in hun and your presence here is very welcome. Thank you for expressing your concern for a valued member. I hope anyone on the forum might do the same if they feel someone else is in trouble and, for this thread, especially if it's someone drowning their sorrows. That's what it's for. Well done.

Sorry too for butting in Kaz/Sherie

I have agoraphobia but I can sleep reasonably well...

Your sleep has been bad news....which I have known for a while now....I was just being 'a guardian angel'...I hope

I know you need some quality sleep..

Here for you Sherie....

Thankyou Elizabeth for being there too....

Paul x

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
You're not butting in either Paul. I was about to leave a small Darrel Lea store in the cafe for you though ... shall we go there and all share it?

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hmmm ... or we could stay here and consider it our pub with no beer (or scotch or wine) for the night. Coffee or chai latte anyone?

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Bless you Kaz....I need a break....Can I pick up those Darrel Lea Choc's in the Cafe? I need some respite here..Can I please order order a flat white with no sugar ta 🙂

The Cafe is place for kindness and taking 5. See you there.

WOOF!!

Kazzl
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Paul - you my friend are a born diplomat. I'll stay here though in case Sherie comes back, but I'll make you a coffee anyways. I carry a coffee machine wherever I go y'know.

Kaz xx