FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone had to spend days alone without anyone to talk to?

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi all, apart from here and a brief visit to church last night (to make it feel Christmassy and to just be with people) I've had day after day for weeks now with nobody at all to talk to. This time of year especially it's really depressing. Old friends that live far away are gradually losing contact with me - I ring them but they don't ring me. I understand they're busy with their live elsewhere but still it's hard when you're lonely. I'm going to a Christmas Eve service at the local church tomorrow night to at least be with people for a little while... but otherwise all day I'm alone, just me and the dog. Sometimes I strike up a conversation on BB but then the other person disappears and that's the end of that...

How are people meant to cope with prolonged periods of social isolation? I read, I watch DVDs, normally I'd go for long walks with the dog but thick smoke from bushfires and intense hot weather have stopped that. I go to a café alone sometimes. Any ideas/help?

3,069 Replies 3,069

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Hanna...

I am sorry that I haven’t been here for you as much as I would like to be..I am listening along with your thread though...

Gee I’m sorry Sam has been sick..those molars can send bacteria and infection through his tiny body...It’s heartwarming to here he is recovering...

Its been freezing nights, and going out to check the power board would have been freezing up your fingers...

I haven’t checked this out yet...My brother told me that Centrelink can help with vet bills...I’m not sure how to check it out...he said that his friend received help from Centrelink when his dog got really sick..,,just thought I’d let you know what he told me...don’t know if this service is still available though...it was a few years back he got the help...

Thats so sad about what’s happening to our Doctors...The local hospital here doesn’t have any doctors working their...when an emergency patient comes in, the hospital rings one of the Drs from the 2 medical centres here....Government doesn’t want to pay a full time doctor to work their...

After a few days...well nearly 2 weeks..the sun had a tiny bit of warmth in it..The frost we had this morning was big...looked like snow, their was so much of it sitting on the grass and my car....the water in my bird baths we frozen on top...

I hope today was a good day for you lovely Hanna...and for Sam. also...

Hugs to you, Sam and everyone listening here..

Grandy..

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Hanna, wave to Grandy,

I don't know what happened to my last post to you... it seems the gremlins ate it...

I'm so glad to hear Mr Sam is feeling brighter... you must be very worried about him still though... I hope he can have his surgery soon... will they just be extracting the problem teeth or might they remove more to prevent future issues?

I want to know why it is that our power boards only trip when it's dark &/or raining... well done lass sorting it out... was it a new toaster?

I would have thought it would be blindingly obvious to those in power that that by funding GP's to be able to bulk bill & have longer opening hours that would lessen the number of people crowding our emergency departments & hospital ramping of ambulances... the early intervention from a GP would also reduce the number of people needing to be in hospital... another saving. But they don't even seem able to see that paying people enough to lift them out of poverty would save more than it would cost... what chance is there they would see the benefits of funding GPs properly.

I hope you & Sam are keeing warm

Huggily hugs

Paws

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Grandy and Paws and everyone

Gosh hasn't the weather been freezing Grandy! Today and yesterday we finally had some sunshine, what a difference that makes! I think the days into next week are getting a bit warmer... it's been hard to restrict the heating at home in such fierce cold... i don't have it on during the day but in the morning and evening I couldn't cope without it..

How is Peppa going? Is she settling in all right? Are you working at the store this week?

Little Sam is booked in for one or two molar teeth out in a couple of weeks... he felt better this afternoon with the sun out...

How is your neighbour Mrs NSC... I hope she is being all right these days...

Thank you for the suggestion about centrelink, I think they just direct you to a vet fee paying service, but it doesn't have good reviews... I am using a kind of online credit card that a friend put me on to... I don't like having to pay off the vet's account but it's the only way I can afford to have Sam's teeth fixed..

I hope you are managing to keep warm in this weather! I did the vaccuuming this afternoon, but I have an old fashioned heavy dyson vacuum cleaner and it's so heavy and cumbersome to move around.. do you have one of the new "stick" ones? I'd love one, they look so much easier to use - I'll have to wait until I have paid Sam's teeth surgery off!

That dinner service for sale in the op shop here I told you about, for six hundred dollars, still hasn't sold a couple of months later... someone told me it's because you can't put it in a dishwasher, you have to hand wash all of that old china.

Hugs from us here! oxoxoxoxo

Hi Paws, see my reply to Grandy.. no it was a cheap kmart toaster... you get what you pay for I guess! I've bought a better one!

Yes we agree about the GPs, perhaps the new government will be able to do something about it all...

Paws you never say anything about yourself. How are you? What are you up to these days? I hope you are managing to keep well, it's been so cold lately, I've had a tummy bug and lots of people have colds.

Hugs from us here oxoxo

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Hanna,

Lass I just saw on Grandy's that your tummy bug has become gastro... you poor thing gastro is nasty... if you are having trouble keeping fluids down having something frozen to suck on can help... there are electrolyte type iceblock sticks you can get & wack in your freezer...

I hope it's just a 24hr dose & you will be up & about soon

Rest up

Paws

Hello Hanna,

No pressure to reply lass... just popping by to say I hope you are feeling a bit better at least

Stay warm

Paws

HI Paws,

Its a really nasty tummy bug that's going around here, every second person seems to have it. Sam's also got a bad cold and is coughing badly, we've been to the vet, his surgery might have to be postponed until he's better, so we are a good pair! It's been very cold here, and lots of people are going into the shopping malls where it's warm, and I think all the bugs are happily spreading!

Not much news at all, as both of us have been very quiet obviously. How are things where you are?

I've purchased a couple of old saucepans from the op shop that are absulutely brilliant at cooking - I love colourful old saucepans from the 70s era. I'm catching up with a friend for lunch on Friday, she's a nurse and in the age group that would benefit from the new housing scheme where the govt owns part of the house and you own the other half... that comes in fairly soon... so she is hoping very much that she will get a permanent home instead of insecure renting like she is doing now. I wish they had had a scheme like that when I was a bit younger.

I'm still trying to find something I feel like reading.. I seem to be in a lull at the moment.

Excuse the lack of news. hugs from us here oxoxox

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Poor Sam & Hanna, 😿So cold & with these illnesses. & Paws offers a type of ice-block!? I guess, if you need, you will try. I suppose the local chemist would be able to advise you. I've never heard of them.

I decided to get a new pair, even though the lenses in the pair I have only make what I see bigger. It's o longer possible to improve on the script. One day, I will not bother, except I am so used to having them, & the partial protection from wind & dust getting in my eyes.

I was shown many frames this time, & what do you know, they do have several almost matt grey frames. I found a really delicate frame, a dotted sort of texture, but rather more expensive than I'd usually agree to pay. They fit well, & so I want to get that frame, & another at another shop, less fancy, but a smooth pewter-like finish. That's what I wanted a year ago.

The frames I have now are not what I wanted, but I had to have something. They are too top heavy, tending to tilt, & are too easily pushed out of shape, when I happen to lie on them, & they are blue, & have a flattened bow. No, no, no, no - how did I get talked into these things? Even the plastic bits that sit behind my ears feels old already, like a gorgeous puppy might have been gnawing on them, which wouldn't be so bad if it was true.

No good news on any other front.

After holding the little Labrodor puppy, I've been missing Mekitty.

& I've made a couple really nice versions of quiche & fritatta. I din't even add salt, only what is in the little stock powder I included in the mix & whatever amount is in the pastry, (pseudo-quiche). Wonderful shortly after coming out of the oven.

Wondering how to accommodate rises in power bills, & food bill. I heard someone suggest running the washing machine overnight. Can you imagine with neighbours in these units that don't have any real sound insulation?

Anyway, thats my little babble to you & anyone still reading. If nothing else, I hope it helps you go to sleep. 😺

Warmly, ❤️❤️❤️❤️,

mmMekitty

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Hanna, Paws, mmMeKitty and everyone...🤗.

Hanna, I am really sorry that both you and Sam are unwell..Tummy bugs do spread so quickly especially in air conditioned shopping malls....Please Hanna, drink plenty of fresh water to keep hydrated or those electrolyte drinks/ice blocks Paws is talking about....Stay warm and comfy my dear friend....snuggle up under your electric throw blanket with Sam ...

I purchased 2 small bean bags from our Vinnies shop earlier this week...I think they are out of small children’s hot packs....I put them in the microwave for around a minute and hold on to them at night...keeps my hands warm....

Well done on your purchase Hanna of the 70s style saucepans...that was a good buy...Quality was a big thing back then....I hope you make lots of nice meals in them....

Never tried making Quiche or frittatas before...umm not real sure what they are, so I’ll google them mmMeKitty...my cooking is pretty basic...but will try different things if they look yummy..

I do hope you find something interesting to read...

hugs, with my love and care everyone...

Grandy..

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Hanna, wave to all,

How are you feeling lass?.. I do hope you & Mr Sam are on the mend.

Have you had any sunny weather there?... today was lovely & sunny here, though cold... Woofa barely budged from his bed in my room where he gets the winter sun streaming through the window.

Are the saucepans the enamel coated ones or the ones with coloured metal lids?

I've started reading one of my sci-fi books & have spent this afternoon on the couch reading instead of doing stuff... Woofa was pleased I actually got up today... he stayed on the bed with me all of yesterday apart from when we both got up to feed him... he seemed to sense I needed it yesterday... usually he will nag me to get up at some point.

That is sad news about Rosemary's husband... I hope she is getting some help from the district nurses or pallative care services...

I'm off to call Woofa in & shut the back door... I think him chatting to the neighbouring dogs for the last hour is long enough..

Stay warm

Hugs

Paws