FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety symptom makes me gag

Jill_G
Community Member
Hi its ny first time posting. Ive been suffering anxiety now for over 3 months and it came out of the blue. ...wasnt sure what was happening to me. Been to doctors and dicussed all sorts of treatments. Lots of ups and downs. One sympton lve been having over the last month is gagging every morning abd there is no medical reason for it. ...has anyone else experienced this ...its really imoacted my life terribly
111 Replies 111

Nervous_Nell
Community Member
My anxiety symptoms also make me gag. It is often the first sign that my anxiety is about to kick off again. The first time it happened I felt so out of control with it. As soon as my feet hit the floor it would happen. Sometimes just thinking about getting out of bed would make it happen. I gradually learned that deep breathing and distracting myself by writing in journal helped. If I was able not to gag, then I did not feel so nauseous. I have also tried Bowen therapy for the gagging which I feel my have helped a little.

Hi Nell thanks for your reply. ..its so awful...the moment l wake l gag every morning and been this way for months. Did your gagging eventually subside? I will look into bowen therapy

Hi Jill....yes fortunately it did subside. Takes about 6 weeks for me each time it happens. I find that I have to eat very moist things because my mouth also gets dry. I make myself eat even if it is only a few grapes, it does make you feel better. I also use a vitamin B herbal supplement.

Hope you can get on top of it.

Hi Nell ...l am so longing for the day it stops.l try not to let it control me but its hard. I will definitely try the grapes something has to help and also the supplements l appreciate your advice...some days l feel like its never going to end.

Jill_G
Community Member
Also l have a constant weird taste and smell in my nose...hard to describe but kind of like menthol but lm told it comes from anxiety. Sometimes it makes my nausea worse as lm told this smell doesnt exist...has anyone else experienced this...it can drive you nuts as its always there.

Hi Mitchy How are you going

I also just try to breathe and tell myself that I am OK and I am safe and it is just the cortisol. It helps me

lsurte11
Community Member

Hi everyone,

Since returning back to work 4 days a week (with my son in daycare) I have begun waking up with my heart pounding, followed by a 'wave' of gagging. This can pass over a period of about 10 minutes and will usually happen any time before I arrive at work - mornings are a real rush too. Over the last few weeks it has now escalated to any time during the day. Arriving at social gatherings, before going to the shops etc. In the beginning I thought it was the mum guilt thing causing the anxiety but now the 'waves' can occur when he is with me for the day . I have booked an appointment with my GP. Smells can also be a trigger!

After reading a few posts, clearly I am not alone in this... Has anyone been through something similiar and come out the side?

Jill_G
Community Member

Hi Isurte

Ive had gagging for the lastfew months mostly in the mornings but lately it can happen in the afternoon to. The smell thing is awful and lve had it for a while.Im.on anti depressants now and see a phycologist to help me work thru it. ...l know its a horrible feeling and lm hoping one day it will stop....l no longer work becsuse if it....l hope you feel better soon

Jill_G
Community Member
You definitely are not alone...thats what l found on this wonderful forum.