FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I man enough?

Navy_Blue
Community Member

This is a really uncomfortable subject for me to be raising, one that I have drafted and deleted time and time again after only joining the BB site.As mentioned in my first and only thread I have been diagnosed with PTSD through a military operational triggering event.I have since realised that I have suffered depression and anxiety for 8 years prior to the diagnosis.I am 40 years old and am currently recovering from my second total hip replacement.I am married with 3 kids (6,4 and 2).Whilst I have opened up about my PTSD through this forum,there are other things going on in my mind (likely connected to the PTSD) that I need to get off my chest but feel so embarrassed and fear judgement in doing so.I have discussed this topic with my wife and whilst I do believe her response,I still have self doubt over her overall truthfulness-in her trying not to hurt me further.This is more likely my depression stopping me from seeing her truth,yet I am still suffering deeply with a lack of self confidence regardless of what she tells me.With all that has happened after my PTSD I don't feel like a strong man to her and now doubt I ever was even before.By this I mean physically more so than emotionally.We have been married now 12 years and I know she had a lot of partners before me and as a result of my PTSD,subsequent depression and recent hip surgeries I have zero self confidence in being her man.Without embarrassing myself to tears I feel inadequate in all departments of being a man anymore.I feel I fail her as a man both physically and mentally.

Mentallly comparing myself to what my wife's previous partners must've been like and the thought that I am nowhere near the man she had or wants is killing me.Before spilling my guts to her quite unintentionally I spent months without sleep,having horrible thoughts and visualisations-this all on top of fighting daily triggers and flashbacks of my PTSD.I am on ADs and seeking therapy for my PTSD,however this other somewhat embarrassing issue is really crushing me and it is something I find hard to raise in discussions with my wife again or even begin to talk to with my therapist-due to the fear of ridicule,embarrassment or the fact of being seen pathetic.Help,advice really needed. Ta.

108 Replies 108

A'hoy there,yes I am back for a brief period,suffered a slight set back in my surgical recovery...seems I may have gone at it a bit too hard and tore some muscle off the bone, well the bits of bone that are left,not the titanium rod...I feel a bit like Darth Vader-more machine than man,oh well at least I will make airport security earn their money when I pass through the metal detector...So I am laid up with some ice compression contraption on my thigh looking rather classy with my leg elevated for numerous chunks of the day.I asked my wife if she could bring me peeled grapes,if I rung a little bell on my bed side table,let's just say that the bell was rather swiftly removed!The PTSD part of ship has been placed back in the queue.However,with that said I have just been referred by my GP(based on my recent psychologist report)to see a psychiatrist.Oh the joy!They say it is a honour to be seeing one in the USA,I however,with all my insecurities past & those returning to roam and haunt the vacant halls of my mind,am loathing the experience.By all accounts she seems,from what I have been told,very lovely & well versed in helping PTSD cases.I guess this is the much needed apple from the healing tree that I need right now.As lately I have been having terrible triggers that create vivid flashbacks-that take me some time to snap out of and return to my normal state of calmness & clarity of thought.Not great to have happening when you have 3 beautiful souled little children to nurture-all whom I'd give my life to protect.So that's where I am at,waiting for my first appointment-to step off & start the slow march down the long & winding road of self recovery.Am I scared or nervous of what lies ahead or around the next corner?The demons I will be forced to face & share with someone I hardly know?The disturbing memories to relive & recount...Yep,I'm absolutely petrified!But,when I look into my beautiful children's eyes,they're like windows to their souls,I can feel my strength swell within & I must endure whatever it takes to conquer this. Knowing I can draw continued support from those who love & care for me brings a sense of calmness over me-like a child with their blanket.Knowing also,I have continued support, true understanding & compassion from those of you here on BB-who have been by my side thus far-bathes me in absolute comfort & relief.This I express with endless gratitude that my words will never be able to justify the true power of their actual healing.💝NBM

Well hello NBM!

You posted 7 minutes prior to me catching it and how lovely that was. Your thread has become legendary and then some. I guess you could've never imagined an effect of such magnitude! Yet here you are...with humour, love and gratitude. I welcome you with open arms my friend.

Not only have you benefited from this site and our beautiful caring community, but you've bought out the best in us..in me. I can only thank you with words, but it's words that bought us all together and it's words that will continue to enhance our lives...that's a given.

I read your post with bated breath, a very big smile and (happy) tears welling up in my eyes. I applaud your guts to glory attitude and well deserved kudos! (Cheers from the crowd..Yay!!!)

You've made my day Navy Man...your children and wife are very lucky indeed to have you in their lives. I congratulate you on your progress and wish you all the luck in the world with your new psych. You deserve to continue to reap the rewards for your amazing efforts. WELL DONE!!

Warm and kind thoughts as always...Sara xo

Goodaye NBM,

Welcome back! Hope the body heals okay after your operation!

It is good you are seeing a psychiatrist. A lot of us have been there and done that. I personally find it a lot easy talking to a person I don't know rather than someone close to me.

You may well feel shaken up after the experience, so make sure you have something easy to do or some comforting experience to enjoy once the session is over. Or you might need some time alone to process what on earth just happened!

Love the bell story! My husband had one of those after his cancer operation. He didn't ask for peeled grapes though, I guess he didn't think of that! Ha. Ha.

If you don't mind me asking, can you please tell me what your medals represent? If that is too tough for you, just ignore that question.

Our town had a small celebration for Remembrance Day. A very dignified looking soldier from the Vietnam War was standing there with his medals on. I had a chat with him briefly, then someone he knew came to chat with him. It was a lovely service.

Wishing you all the best with your recover, body, mind and spirit.

Cheers for now from Mrs. Dools

Hello Mrs. Dools,yet another beautiful person has written back.I just read Sara's lovely post,logged off to grab some pain relief for my hip replacement set back issue-nodded off to dream of my little bell & all the uses I could think of if only it was there when boom yet another response from someone I have never met(just like Sara),yet I hold so much respect,compassion,admiration and love in my heart for you both.Yes Rememberance Day holds a very special place in my heart,just like ANZAC day, only for two reasons.My first child(daughter)was born on Rememberance Day-how very military everyone would comment.We have planted some poppies,as they are her favourite flower,in her own special garden.We live on a small farm (40 acres)& breed miniature cattle (Dexters),very quiet animals with the most lovely temperaments-it's our calving time now and the kids just love being with the calves-a special time for everyone in this house really.Sorry to bore you with the trivial stuff,must be the painkillers...The medals,not a problem,I usually don't like talking about them but because I hold such respect & trust for yourself and Sara, I'd be honoured to explain what they represent. From L-R: AASM(Aust Active Service Medal) with clasps(there is supposed to be two,but my son ripped the other one off and placed it somewhere very safe),the clasp on there is the ICAT(Interantional Campaign Against Terrorism),the missing one was for Iraq.Next sits the Afghanistan Campaign Medal followed by the Iraq one. Next one with clasp is the ASM(Australian Service Medal)-the clasp is for Special Operations,this I got on operations during my time as a navigator on submarines,I could tell you why,but then I'd have to kill you...Following that is the AOSM(Aust Operations Service Medal),for time spent doing operational stuff in and around Australia.Then comes the old man 15 years service medal rounded off by the 4 year service medal-what many call the Coke Bottle medal,as almost everyone who serves their initial period gets it.So there you have it.In someways reflecting like I just did in writing that,I'm proud of what I achieved and was able to do for not just my country but many others.This though comes at a cost for me personally,but slowly,slowly I'm working towards fixing this-with my ultimate goal of marching ANZAC Day with all three of my beautiful children(wearing their Grandad's polished WWII medals).I haven't marched since that day on operations,don't feel I deserve it yet.❤️NM

Sorry Mrs. Dools for the abrupt ending there, it's this damned 2500 characters regimental restriction,must be Airforce run..Not very Navy like!!!You see we navigate by the stars,the Army sleep under the stars, and the Airforce judge their hotels by them!!! Just wanted to quickly add it was very touching to have such prompt and lovely replies by both yourself and that of Sara. It means more to me than you'll ever know having you both by my side as I start this march. Until next time, and it might be a while again before I raise masts and come up for Comms-if all goes to plan this time... I send much love your way along with all the happiness and kind caring thoughts that you truly deserve. ❤️NM

Dear Navy Guy,

Thanks so much for sharing about your medals. Hopefully in time you will be able to wear them proudly, accepting the fact that you have made a huge difference in the lives of so many people, in such an amazing sacrificial way.

Hopefully your son will remember where that really safe place is! If not, can you apply to have that medal replaced? I'm not sure how that works.

I enjoy reading about your children and the calves. Sounds like a wonderful, exciting time, greeting the new calves into the world.

You mentioned planting poppies in the garden, I have planted roses here to remember my precious babies and also a beautiful lady name Josie who was like a Mum and mentor to me. The rose for her is so appropriately named Just Joey.

Like you mentioned, it is very comforting to know that complete strangers can reach out to others on this forum and offer support, care, love and concern in such an amazing way.

Maybe by ANZAC Day your body, mind and spirit will be healed enough to march extremely proudly with your own medals shining, and like you mentioned with your three children marching also wearing Grandad's medals.

On a cheery note, hope the calves are all healthy! Last year we borrowed some sheep on our 5 acres to help eat the grass. Two of them had lambs while here. I so loved to go and watch them frolic about. They were so cute!

This year we have a couple of rams and wethers, so no chance of lambs!

Hope that hip soon heals! Cheers for now,

Best wishes and kind regards from Mrs. Dools

Hello again Mrs. Dools,I wrote an extension to my last post shortly after but must have missed the "Airforce" admin closing times by nano seconds as it hasn't appeared yet😜I just wanted to express some feelings of mine, quite passionate from a military point of view,on your comments regrading your discussion with the Vietnam Vet at your local service.I reflected just how niaive,uncompassionate & generally misunderstood society was back then & how disresepectfully treated those returning, those lucky enough to return were treated.The "Dirty War" it aptly named.The atrocities,disturbing visions and acts witnessed by those servicemen I cannot even fathom.But to return as "Baby Killers" or lower class people who have just returned from a "holiday" disgusts me.PTSD was never heard of or to talk about such mental troubles was taboo.The silent killer & really since then,& to be honest it probably goes back even further than just the Vietnam War,what have we learnt?More US service people have died since returning from operations than killed on the battlefield,I am not aware of how numbers reflect from an ADF point of view,but that fact alone is horrific.I am seeing slowly 'the times they are a changing' sweep broadly across society in promoting awareness of mental health-I guess I can really comment particularly what I have seen during my time in the military,but notwithstanding this we have a long way to go.I, ashamed as I am to admit it,am guilty of this-just look at the title of this thread-says it all really.Mental issues is still a stereo typical sign of weakness,I'm so pleased to see campaigns being run now by macho football stars and sports men & women alike stating it is OK to speak out-that mental illness is not a dirty word or something to be ashamed of.Sure if I was not nearly killed by an IED during CT operations only to go on & see big tough men execute,in cold blood children,I might be fine in life-blissfully unaware of this BB organisation or the need for it.Education is in this area is critical.We are seeing it in the military now and it is taken very seriously.But,as I as getting to earlier in this post, it is the vets previous to my generation that my heart bleeds for.They got nothing, absolutely nothing only ridicule and persecution for being in a place no one really had heard of,fighting a fight most did not join by choice.Sure, even I have had tomatoes thrown at me and heckled baby killer whilst in uniform,not a particularly nice (continued)

(Continued) feeling,particularly after what I'd endured that particular deployment.More ironically our unit actually saved a mother & baby during child berth onboard our vessel.The engineers without even being asked went away & constructed a cot & change table for this particular mother & baby to use whilst we remained at sea.So to be called a baby killer-hurts, a lot.So far from the truth of what we service people actually do out there.Is it thanks I am asking for,no not really,just a little respect or general public understanding that yes whilst I elected to serve and wear my countries name on my shoulders does not make me any less human than the next person.Anyway probably enough of that rant,like I mentioned though I am quite passionate about the public's treatment of ex & current service people,& I guess you know full well how I feel about Vietnam Vets through this post.Just got your post regarding your lambs!No idea what happened to my post in between...maybe their actually is an "Airforce" person moderating & placed mine in file named the shredder.I agree just how healing gardens can be,my wife's department really,but secretly I get a lot out of the "whole growth & earthly experience". We to have planted trees to remember loved ones lost, some far to early. A special place to go to reflect, remember-& over time as it grows so does the healing inside of me. Thank you for your kind word regarding my physical healing.I should be an old hand at this whole hip replacement by now,considering this is my second at the age under 40!Having 3 children under the age of 7 (7,4,2) doesn't make dad's recovery easy though...partly myself to blame as I always go at things like a bull at a gate & just want to be a dad and bend down & play & lift or be the horse to ride-all things I vaguely recall my surgeon saying things NOT to be doing for several months.Yes,I can reorder the safely placed clasp,no hurry this end but I will want them to see &understand what their dad did &sacrificed,&hopefully they will be proud.At the moment they see their dad a little sad most of the time & hobbling around on crutches,icing his leg,unable to play &truly connect-which saddens me the most really.Not all doom &gloom though,my poker face has got better over time in hiding all forms of pain around my children.My fight continues for them to see their true happy healthy dad soon enough.I truly feel for you Mrs. Doors life can be so unfair to the best of people,you are one of them.😇❤️NBM

Hello Sara,I been replying to Mrs. Dools,however please read all those words & feelings I have towards her as equal toward you.I have a funny feeling all my posts over the last 24hrs are all out of sync,as Im yet to see a couple I wrote before the last one here.Hopefully they sync with a timeline that makes sense.I'm not sure what you mean by my thread becoming legendary and then some,but I do hope it has had a positive impact on others-as it certainly has with me.Would you believe my first available appointment with my new psych isn't until Feb next year?I understand they triage their clients,so I must respect there are those out there doing it way tougher than me.Still,on the positive side gives me more time to get my body cherry ripe before then.I see my surgeon tomorrow regarding this muscle tear issue,just praying no further surgery will be required-not sure my body nor mind or spirit could handle that requirement right now.Still,being the gentlemen farmer I am,I am lucky enough to be able to at least rest,with my wife staying home & running the house until we know the verdict.By gentlemen farmer,the term could not be any closer to the truth.I have a 60SQM putting green in one of paddocks!So an Officer and a Gentlemen (farmer)really-without the Richard Geer looks sadly.I do get told I'm a dead ringer for Billy Zane all the time(whoever the hell he is-poor bugger).So golf is out for a while & my sand bunker has turned into a Tonka truck construction site!So everything is sort of put on pause,in limbo-which I don't really like.I hate having things out of my control especially when I know there is so much that needs doing!I don't do patience well as you can probably tell by now.My fault I am laid up like I am now,went too hard at recovery-despite the professional warnings from surgeon to wife.Oh well,gives me a chance to connect back with you guys for a bit.Come tomorrow after a stern talk from my surgeon I may have to be on my very best behaviour & actually do as I am told-so I might be off BB for a while on my next phase of recovery-just praying the words surgery or hip revision are not spoken during tomorrow's visit.Other than that I'm well as can be,fighting the fight which is draining.Not everything is a"Pantene"solution-I fully get Rachel Hunter's learned words of wisdom,but I did have my heart set on a speedier hip recovery and earlier psych appointment.Here's hoping at least the new meds help with my recent triggers.Hope this finds you well.❤️NB

Hello Sara, further to my last (as we Navy people pipe on 1MC), on a lighter side, now this is probably the pain killers talking...but regarding the Officer and a Gentleman (farmer) reference and the Billy Zane comment. Well, for the first time ever I just googled his name! Guess what, I still have never heard of him, but the results say he's some movie producer or something, but the pictures that came up...again could be the drugs but with a little more hair, and by that I mean just a little, yep I can see why people have been saying it. We sort of share the same dress sense in the photos I had come up on my simple Billy Zane search... So there you go, am I man enough?, pffffft I look like Billy Zane for crying out loud!!! His name sounds a bit wacky though, just like the submariner come CT Intel operator in me I guess - wacky enough to choose those as careers I guess, look where it's got me?!? Should have chosen making movies instead, but then I would not have met all the wonderful people I now know in my life including you! Hope this makes you smile, I hadn't for a while until I thought why not Google this Zane dude.... Off to grab more ice for my leg - oh, how well I would fit in with that look in zip code 90210! Hope you are well ❤️NBM