FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Alone..Depressed..Sad..

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi..I'm new here..just need to put my feeling down..no one to talk to makes depression and anxiety so hard...the last 4 days I have either been in bed crying or on the lounge crying..I can't seem to get out of this...I am becoming a prisioner in my own home as its getting progressively difficult to go out.. I have to go out Tuesdays so I do everthing on that day but it's like I'm holding my breathe all day until I get back to the safety of my home then I can let go and that starts the cycle again of spending the next 6 days at home either in bed or on the lounge sad and depressed...I really feel like just giving up.. My husband passed away 4 years on This coming Thursday. My children live 6 hours drive away and have small children so I don't see them that much.Bad mum and grandmum I am on there last visit i was pleased to see them but I just wanted them to go home. I feel so aweful and numb atm..
5,565 Replies 5,565

Paw Prints
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Grandy,

.all I felt was sadness and guilt...Why can’t I feel like the other girls felt?...am I normal or am I mentally damaged?.

You are a wonderfully empathic kind hearted soul... unfortunately the reaction of the others is a fear response when faced with something they can't/don't try to understand... it is easier to blame the other person than try to understand why they are behaving in such a way... I've found a lot of people don't see alcoholism as a being the mental illness it is... they just see it as bad behaviour that the person should be able to control without help... ringing the police was a wise thing though as no one should put up with abusive behaviour whatever the reason behind it... it also lessens the risk of the man coming to harm whilst intoxicated... with one of my brothers being an alcoholic I know that having the police pick him up if he was causing trouble or at risk was what was best for him... most of the local police knew him by name & they were in general very compassionate & understanding...

You should be proud of yourself lass

Big hugs

Paws

Hey our beautiful friend 👩‍❤️‍👩 and every lovely person here & reading too☺

It is really hard it just sitting back there waiting to surface huns. It's awful knowing you feel this way so often Grandy. It sads me so much knowing you're there by yourself suffering so often. Not good darlin 🤗

You're a beautiful soul dear Grandy you have SO much compassion and yes empathy. I was relieved you weren't triggered by that bad behaviour. No lovey try not to berate yourself about how you saw the situation. You're thinking and feeling independently which I think we need more people being their own person like you have been. Well done darlin and good of you showing such compassion and understanding.

Love you Grandy you really are a beautiful lady. Such a pleasure having you in my life ☺🤗👩‍❤️‍👩💜🗯

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Grandy~

Frankly I"m glad you felt as you did about that man. True he was unpleasant and possibly a danger when he was there , so for everyone's benefit and safety the police were called. In fact it may well have been to his benefit too if their presence forestalled a more serious charge.

There has to be people like yourself that see the humanity of others, even if they are unpleasant or threatening. Once danger to all has passed then compassion is so necessary.

Please do not stop being you

Croix

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Grandy and All,

Hopefully the Police were able to assist the man in what ever way he required. I witnessed a couple of police helping someone in the city who was obviously having a very bad day. The person was sat in the back of the police car and an officer was chatting to them. After time the police officer and the person were laughing. I'm not sure what happened after that.

The world can be such a complicated place at times, so much pressure, uncertainty, struggle, resentment and anger.

As a society, I don't think we are taught how to deal with emotional upsets, anger and frustrations very well. We all need to feel safe, a little compassion and understanding goes a long way. There are times when calling the police is certainly the responsible and necessary thing to do.

Confrontation of any kind can be unsettling.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Grandy, ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️all around you, I'm sure from me, DB Paws, Hanna, Croix, Monkey & Doolhof, ... & very many more around here.

I've marvelled how with such warmth, kindness & compassion you respond to people here, & would wish it no other way.

Although, in the first instance you might feel distinctly uncomfortable with the man's confrontational manner, you nevertheless responded with sadness, & guilt - I don't understand what's to feel guilty about?

I also see your response as one of sympathy, seeing a man with his problems on display, & that is very sad, for him, very sad, police have to be called, for your safety as well as his. It's very sad how alcohol can mess people up so much.

Looking over the last several posts, seems like many of us are very uncomfortable being in & speaking in groups.

Getting to know the people & lots practice has helped me, in the past. Were I to join another group, I'd have to begin all over again, & it might take another 2 years to feel comfortable.

Take care, Grandy. You know best what you need right now. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

My warmest thought,

mmMekitty

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Magic, Hanna, Paws, Deebi👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩, Croix, Dools, mmMeKitty,....🤗

Thank you so much....
I do understand now after reading your words, that he would be cared for by the police and kept safe until he sobers up...All last week, my mind made images of him, laying on a bed in a cold dark cell...I felt so bad for him...I rang the police station yesterday and they assured me that one of his family members collected him the following day....

So many times the girls at work say to me...didn’t that make you angry...when someone says something or does something wrong...Why didn’t you stand up for yourself?......I have this past week been thinking a lot about why I don’t/ can’t get angry...and I’m really no closer to knowing...

I remember my husband saying to me many times...

You are so messed up inside...you never argue or fight back....I can’t even have a decent argument with you....even if your life depended on it....you still would just stand their and do nothing.....what a pathetic looser you are”

I think fear set in against retaliation, and anger evaporated when I was a child....No way I could I ever get angry or even have an opinion when I was younger...it was met with physical violence....Then with hubby...physical violence....

Being angry I think would just escalated any situation anyway...I don’t know....Writing this here has only confused me even me...What is anger for anyway....it’s really an emotion that’s inbuilt into our brain...to hurt others...It doesn’t really protect us...just makes things so much worse for us then they already are...I learnt that an angry person is a hurting person...and they need an understanding ear more then conflict...

bbff...will pop over to yours sometime soon...I do hope your doing okay...big hugs and love dear friend..l💙🧸👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩🦋🕊..with my care.

Hugs everyone with my care, and love..🧸🦋💜.

👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩Grandy...

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

❤️❤️❤️❤️Grandy, I think that was a difficult post for yout to write. I, to, have come to thinking anger is mostly useless if not something people who are hurt (& I hate to say like Dr Phil,) afraid or frustrated.

I was taught like you were, & became too afraid to permit myself anger. I can't even yell today. They way your husband spoke would only encourage you not to argue, to keep yourself as safe as possible. I think, even as he was saying that, in his frustration with you because he wanted more reasons to abuse you... yes, I feel anger, frustrated I doubt I could have stopped him if I had been there, as much as I would have wanted to

I think what you said about the fear from your childhood, being so overwhelming is valid.

When I first began to acknowledge I felt some anger, the idea frightened me - still does if I was to ever be able to let go & really express how much anger I have felt. I look at my other feelings around the anger, & it is indeed, hurt, fear & frustration, too much to bear. If I can let out a trickle at a time, maybe it'll be okay.

I have observed, angry people aren't listening. They don't hear themselves or others. Therefore, being angry like that is only to vent or to try to hurt, to ward off being further hurt themselves, an immature way of reacting to frustration, or to make themselves 'bigger', like how animals do when threatened, (fear).

Sometimes, I think my own father was out of his depth, & afraid, not knowing how to relate & parent his kids, nor his step-kids. My (ex-)step-mother, she was a very hurt & damaged person, frustrated too, not having the life she had dreamed & expected to have, so we kids were the target for all this, because we were obvious signs of her failures.

What do you feel for your younger self? Not what anyone else may feel or think, just you, what do you feel when you look at her?

& you, today, the person you are today?

With much warmth & care,

mmMekitty

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Grandy,

And if you had retaliated when your husband taunted you like that - saying you never defend yourself, he can't even have a decent argument with you etc etc - so he was taunting you trying to make you retaliate. What then, if you did? What if you had completely lost your temper and yelled back at him? What do you think he would have done then?

Can you see how much he actually WANTED you to go back at him - so he would have had what he wanted, an excuse to hit/beat/go at you? Can you see how right you were to keep quiet and not go back at him in order to keep yourself safe? What else could you have done in the circumstances? He would have overpowered you.

Is it any wonder it's so hard for you to "un-learn" this behaviour now, when in the past it protected you? You beat yourself up and criticize yourself, but what for? You are physically OK now because you knew how to protect yourself by keeping quiet. Under the circumstances, what else could you realistically have done?

Can you look back on yourself then and feel some compassion for your younger self? She was, I'm sure, doing the best she could at the time. So can you have compassion on yourself now that you still find speaking up, or getting angry, so difficult?

Getting angry is not often an effective response anyway. The person who manages to stay calm manages difficult situations much better than someone who loses their temper.

Accept yourself for a kind, decent human being. None of us are perfect, and most of us have aspects of ourselves we either don't like, or wish we could change. Welcome to being human!

If not being good at speaking up, or talking in a group, is the worst thing you can think of about yourself, then you are doing amazingly well! Honestly, when you think how some people lie, are cruel, mistreat vulnerable people and animals, are rude, unkind, lie, and are corrupt - how tiny a thing is it not to be comfortable speaking in a group, or being very effective in defending yourself sometimes.

You bothered to check how that man was - that speaks volumes about what a caring person you are. I bet none of the others there bothered, or even thought, of doing that.

So, big hugs from me here. oxoxoxoxox

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello mmMeKitty, Hanna, Deebi👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩and everyone....🤗..

Looking back on my younger self is something that I don’t do nor want to...she is full of pain and heartache...I let her go many years ago...I don’t think of her anymore...In fact, I don’t think of any of my former life...I started my life when my husband passed away...I try hard to not let my mind wander back more then 9 years ago....Unfortunately triggers take me back unexpectedly and remind me, of me back then....I do not like any part of me from those dark horrible years....

I do like parts of me now...the parts that do reach out to try to help those trying to survive what I did...the compassionate part of me that cares for people....the empathy that I feel for people, can at times make me very sad and bring me down...these parts of me have been slowly surfacing and it feels natural for me to try to help...these emotions I think began to surface only since I’ve been widowed...

I had compassion, love, empathy, care for my husband....he threw it all back in my face...saying it was my biggest weakness, and it was a form of “crawling to someone”...to get into their “good book”...I suppose many times I did this with him, you know...make his favourite meal, be at his beck and call...have a coffee ready for when he got home from work...etc etc etc..,

Trying to find myself has been a huge struggle...but I think I am supposed to be who I am now...and not who I was through those bad times...that part of me still pops her head into my head with self doubt, confusion and a whole lot more....

So I really try hard to keep my infant, teenage and former adult self away from me....maybe one day I’ll give those parts of my life some thought or compassion but for now, for my mental health...I really only want her to stay dormant..

My care, love and hugs everyone..🦋💜🤗..

👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩Grandy..(👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩💙🕊🌱🌿🌳🧸🤗..

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Grandy~

I've been thinking on what you have said and have come ot the conclusion that you have not been beaten - the original person shines though.

Your husband tried to inject anger into you so he could have a fight and win. Anger was then mostly a foreign concept to your nature and still is.

Your husband tried to rid you of a quiet nature which held compassion and empathy - it is very obvious he did not succeed.

As Hanna3 said - you bothered to ring the police station. As a former policeman I know how unusual an act that is.

Please be happy with yourself, you are a rare person

Croix