FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

the loss of my dog

may_04
Community Member

hi 🙂

Six months ago, I had to put my dog down after a kidney infection. he got sick and was gone within a week. yesterday was his birthday, he would've been 10.

My dog was the one thing that could always make me happy. Just being able to pat and hug him make me feel so happy and loved. So when he was gone, I found it hard to live my day-to-day life.

Recently I've been going through some weird emotions. I'm just sad and I don't know why. In times like this, I would go hug my dog or go for a walk with him and my mum, but now I hate going for walks because he's not there.

My parents don't want another dog, and even if we got one, it wouldn't be the same without my dog. I just wish I had more time with him. He was meant to live another few years.

I've never had to go through the death of a pet, and I never want to again. It absolutely sucks.

This all may sound stupid because I'm talking about a dog and not a human, but the death of a pet is like the death of your best friend.

I don't know what replies I'm looking for, just felt like telling someone about this. I hope that anyone else who has gone through anything similar is ok. We can get through this together.

I wish you all love and happiness ❤️

- may.

10 Replies 10

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi may 04,

Im sorry for the loss of your beloved dog, our dogs really are a member of our family and to loose them is heart breaking.

Have you been able to speak to your parents about the way you are feeling?

I understand you would really miss your dog, they are our best friends.

I hope that you can always remember the good times you had together.

may_04
Community Member

hi petal,

thank you so much for your fast reply.

I could talk to my mum about it, but I don't like to tell her about anything bad because she'll worry and try to make me feel better when I prefer to just sit and suffer in silence. wow, reading that out loud sounds bad, but that's just how I deal with these types of things.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello May, I am just so sorry for your loss, I know that it's one of the worse experiences we have to face and we're unable to let people know how we really feel, sure they can commiserate with us, but that's not the same as how we actually feel, it's much deeper than that, and as people say 'go and buy another dog' is not the present solution for most people, because no other dog has got the adoring idiosyncrasies of the one we've just lost and when we feel that it's time to have another puppy, they too have their own funny ways, but they don't replace the one we've just lost.

Sure we learn to grow with the new puppy but the loss of the precious one we've just lost stays with us forever.

I had a Jack Russell for 18 years and had to put her down which broke my heart and now have the same breed that I've had for 8 years, yes I love her but she isn't the same as my 18 year puppy.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

That’s ok may 04,

Please think about talking to your mum about the way you are feeling, she will be able to comfort you.

I’m sure she would like to know how you are feeling also so she can help you.

I understand you think she may worry but she’s your mum and that’s a mums job we always worry about our children in some way and want the best for them.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello May04,

It is very sad to lose a best friend, no matter how or when. I'm sorry too. I've lost my own, my cat, when she was just about 7 years old. Nothing can replace these friends & we grieve for them as we would for any person close to us. This is very real, painful & sad. I don't think in any way is greiveing for your dog is 'stupid', not in the least. & feeling sad is not 'weird', but really quite normal. Going for walks without your dog is going to be painful for a while, too.

Maybe you are not ready now, but you can be sure your mum will be there when you do need more comfort. You can reassure her, by saying to her, "Thanks mum, That means a lot that you care, but right now, I just want to be alone." I think she will understand.

In time, I hope you will be able to look back & remember the good times you had with your dog. Those memories are priceless.

mmMekitty

KAZ234
Community Member

Hi my name is KAZ,

Im not sure how old you are but it really doesn’t matter when you lose your best friend. Just in the past month’s I got a dog, love her to bits. I would feel so sad if something happened to her. I am sure you have wonderful memories of your dog. If your young maybe in time you will buy another dog, which will love you as your last dog did. Alway remember the best time you had with you dog.

Mk2692
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi May,

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is completely normal to miss your pet when they have passed away, especially if you have considered them to be your best friend. It is ok to grieve the loss of what could have been, your dog would've been 10 years old now and you would've been able to take her for walks. It's ok to miss the things you did with your dog and if you were to get another dog, it would never be the same. Grieve takes time, it doesn't mean you won't miss your dog, but slowly slowly the feelings won't be as intense. I would suggest talking to your parents about your feelings, they might be feeling the same way too. Thanks for reaching out here and please reach out again if you do ever need to talk again. Hope this helps.

Whysosad
Community Member
Hi may.04, you don't sound silly at all. Losing your pet is huge and very painful. When I was young my dog was my every thing. Abusive mum, no dad, lonely. Our pets are so loving, faithful and true. Your dog will always hold a special place in your heart, sorry you are going through this. Love and hugs to you.

Isabella_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi May,

You're right, it absolutely sucks.

My family had to put down our cat recently, he was 15 years old and I had him since I was in kindergarten. I'd do anything to be able to give him another cuddle. I understand what you mean about not wanting to go on walks anymore.. I look at the door wondering if he's wanting to come in still.

It's really painful. But the pain means that they were loved, and the time I had with Buster was amazing. I was so glad to be able to grow up with him, and I can feel peaceful by knowing that he's not in pain anymore. I still look at photos and videos of him 🙂

They become part of your family, and they do indeed become your best friend. I hope you're looking after yourself.