FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Overwhelmed by my brothers loss

WraithWithin
Community Member

A few weeks ago my brothers fience died. He move back home with us (parents and I),and im feeling overwhelmed.

I've been suffering major depression for 15 years; I'm agoraphobic, have social anxiety, and schizotypal PD. I'm a loner, highly sensitive to exteral stimulus (sounds, sights, smells etc.). I need complete isolation in order to unwind, which I usually have my own space. But now my brother has moved in and I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

I don't want to take away from his loss but I am not coping. I'm becoming snappish, highly agitated and relying on anti anxietys too much.

My parents are under huge stess, they're picking up the slack for everything. I can't add to that. But i am not coping.

How do I tell my grieving brother to leave me alone and get out of my personal space?

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi WW, welcome

Quite often I found in life that doing the opposite of the way you want to do things is a better alternative.

In this case you have your own issues to balance. On the other side of things your brother needs everyone for the next several months at least.

So I'm going to suggest, reaching out to him, with a proviso.

Set up a calm place, a room without distractions. Allow him to talk, to grieve, to communicate his inner hurt.

After an amount of time (you will know your limit) you say to him that you've done your best today to help him...now its time for me to repair yourself so you can cope with life.

If he has a limited knowledge of your condition then explain it to him. Don't be afraid of telling him that you have difficulty comforting others with your restrictions. Then leave. This will give him an opportunity to reach out to you, to help you deal with your issues. Its likely to be one sided but you would have given him opportunity.

Another sibling returning home makes for good competition. Can you move out? Thats the alternative.

Remember, he is grieving which is far more complex than dealing with lifes daily struggles. At this time you wouldn't want to be seen as being demanding or cruel. Grief is a single focus. He needs you.

Tony WK