FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My dog passed in October last year, and I still miss her.

Clemorella
Community Member

It’s difficult in some ways mourning for the loss of an animal.
I had a lot of people put their noses up at me when they found out how much I was spending trying to keep my dog alive.
but they didn’t understand that she wasn’t just a dog. She was the love of my life. My twin flame.
she was the very best part of me. It didn’t matter how crappy everything was, because I had her.

so when she got sick, I spent a grand total of $32k on her vet bills before she passed in October last year.
and I’m still grieving.
I put myself into irrevocable debt. I’ve had to sign a debt agreement. Some weeks I can’t afford groceries.
I have 0 savings and no prospects.
and I just want my dog back.

6 Replies 6

Sophie_M
Hey Clemorella,

We are glad they you reached out tonight as we understand that losing someone thats close to you is hard to deal with especially with everything you've been through. We are sure our community will be here for you in addition we want you to know that we are here for you too.

Please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through, and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need as we know it hard going through this alone.
If you would like some help finding mental health support, we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Clemorella and welcome to the forums and I am really sorry for your lost.Losing your dog is one of the hardest things to go through.A dog is more then just a pet and they become part of your family and your everyday life.It didn't matter how much you spent on yours to try and keep them alive for as long as possible.It shows what a caring person and how much love you had for them.It does take time to get over a lost like that.I still miss my dogs so much after years.The loss you are experiencing is a normal thing and grieving process is different for everyone but it is good you come on here to talk about it.

Take care,

Mark.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Clemorella,

I'm very sorry you have lost your dear dog, your best friend & companion. I'd've done anything too, if I could have, to save my own cat. Today, I still find it hard to fathom just how much I loved her, just that I did, & still do. It's hard for many people, to understand how deeply some people care for their furry friends, & even I don't really, & I've done it.

I don't know where you live, but I am sure there are organisations who can help you when you can't afford groceries. I'm thinking of The Salvation Army (Salvos) or Anglicare, & I'm sure there are more.

A quick google of something like:

Can't afford groceries, who to call Australia

which is what I wrote in the search box, can help you find help.

It won't be easy, I'm sure, asking for such help. I wish you the best.

I'd love to hear stories about your dog. There is a thread, Pets gotta love them. (that's not quite precisely how the title is, but if you would like to honour your dog there, as I have posted about my cat, I would love to read post/s from you.

If anyone reading here can help with a direct link, that would be great.

mmMekitty

Isabella_
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Clemorella,

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I know how you feel when people say "she's just a pet".. They become your love and best friend, your family, companion. Grieving the loss of a loved one, especially one that you tried so hard to help is really hard. She was so lucky to be loved by you, and she definitely feels the love you have for her. I'm sure she lived an amazing life with you by her side.

You're struggling financially right now because of the vet bills you had to pay.. Not many people fight for pets the way you have, and that can't be taken away from you. Things sound incredibly difficult right now and it sounds like you're struggling to get by..

I'm really glad that you shared that with us here. I'm always here to listen, chat and lend an ear whenever you're in the mood. Your mental and physical health is so important in this difficult time for you. I'd love to know how you're feeling right now with everything.

Sophie offered some great resources for when you feel you need them. I can help out if you're interested in some resources to help with groceries, processing your grief.. Only if you feel you need some support like that.

Grieving has no time frame or deadline.. Please don't feel that you need to have one, or that you're made to feel like there is one.

I lost my family cat in October after 15 long years.. It's awful when they get sick and you have to say goodbye. I'd do anything to have him back.. I know you're feeling that too.

I'd love to hear from you. Sending my love your way and to your beloved friend ❤️

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Clemorella

I am very sorry for your loss. I have always had a dog in my life, ever since I was a kid. The bond, the love we’ve shared has been irreplaceable. The losses very traumatic and sad.

I understand your pain but I promise you it will pass in time. Cherish your memories and be very kind to yourself.

About the money … I get it. My current dog has a lot of health issues (environmental and food allergies) and I do everything I can to keep her comfortable and healthy. It is very costly and my husband isn’t always on the same page as me, but I keep going because I love her so much.

I’m so sorry, however, that you find yourself in significant debt because of your kind and loving heart. I’m thinking it might pay for you to talk to a financial counsellor to help you better manage.

I’m pretty sure you should be able to come up with a plan that consolidates the debt and is managed through a payment plan that leaves you enough money to live. Just be sure to find a reputable adviser, perhaps even through a charity.

Kind thoughts to you

Hi again

I just had a quick look on line. Anglicare and Salvation Army both off financial counseling services.

Kind thoughts to you