FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost a lot

MOOGAL97
Community Member

I lost my grandfather this year he was my best friend, hasn't been any easier since the day he left me. He raised me since I was 2 weeks old him and my aunty (my dads sister) but she past away when I was 11, I grew up with her always travelling away for operations because she had cancer... my pop lived 5 years after her now im left feeling alone - my brother is pretty messed up he used to bash our mum even when she was sick after chemotherapy and I was to little I couldn't help it, I resent him but my mum told me to forgive him before she passed away - uhhh ive tried to but its hard, my brother is locked up in jail at the moment thank god because he was on heavy drugs, I guess that his only way of coping with it all - he didn't even make our grandfathers funeral because he was in jail, I spoke to him on the phone it was hard out opf all people I thought he could of been the only person that would understand what im going through since pop helped raise the both of us since we were babies.

Man grief is hard to cope with its my first time opening up but typing makes it easier than talking to someone for me; I just hope everyone that is grieving can find the help they need on these online forums - that's what I'm going to try and do.

Feel free to share your story with me; I'd love to hear and help if I can.

xx

1 Reply 1

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi MOOGAL,

I’m deeply sorry for your loss. I think grief is truly one of the most difficult things we can go through in life...you must miss him terribly...

You sound like you shared an incredible bond with your grandfather. That is truly precious...he sounds like he was, in many ways, your anchor. Someone trustworthy and reliable who has always been there for you...a true friend...

I imagine it must have been emotional contacting your brother. I would think that there would have been a lot of mixed feelings there. On the one hand, he has hurt a lot of people like your mum. But on the other hand, like you said, he’s also the only person to understand what you’re going through...

Sigh, I have lost loved ones too, and I personally don’t think “time heals.” I simply think i have learnt to cope without certain people over time.

I don’t think we ever stop missing loved ones. For every loss I’ve had, I’ve also lost a bit of my heart. It hurts...

That being said, I think everyone is different. There’s no “rule book” or “manual” or “right/wrong” when it comes to grief and loss...

I hope you don’t mind if I share 2 quotes about grief with you. I hope it offers some small comfort, validation or makes you feel a little less alone:

It’s just fine to feel a little heavy, and it’s fine to just sit here and catch my breath, and it’s just fine to be a mess at times, and it’s fine to be relatively normal sometimes.

It’s just fine to miss them. It’s just fine to let it all hit me, surrendering and succumbing. And it’s just fine to remember that grief has no rules, and that it really, it will last as long as Love does.

- unknown

Grief, I’ve learned, is really just love. It’s all the love you want to give but cannot. All of that unspent love gathers up in the corner of your eyes, the lump in your throat, and in that hollow part of your chest. Grief is just Love with no place to go.

- unknown

Kind thoughts to you today...

Pepper