FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Loss Childhood pet followed by loss of cousin to suicide

Justal
Community Member

Hi my names zeke and im 15

Over the past 9 or so months I've been struggling with my mental health i felt very alone during the lockdown and alot of bad memorys from a few years ago had been brought up and then I lost my cat he was 10 and the friendliest cat you could ever meet and I had to see him incredibly sick and when they put him down I couldn't stay and went to the car to ball my eyes out

tthen a few months go by and we get out of lockdown and all seems well and I remember it clearly it was the Sunday a month ago and my dad gets a call from Nana  and my other cousin on my mums sides there and I said to him well someone died and yea it was my cousin Britney she would be 23 in January.

She would often attempt suicide cause she had a condition called borderline personality disorder. We never thought she would actually do it and had pushed away and said nasty things about the family for the past 2 years so I hadn't seen her in a while but yea before the illness really got bad she was the nicest person ever and would always give out hugs and stuff and yea was just the sweetest person ever and now she's gone forever in this plane of reality at least

But yea that's my story and what I've been struggling with and im really struggling to stay calm like midday im alright but at night and in the morning im ether really depressed or really mad and I dont like that not just cause I've broken a ton of stuff but I just like wanted to be happy for a long time just like happy you know go back like 3-4 years i want happy zeke back

But yea thankyou to anyone that read that and feel free to give me so advice or ask a question and yea im happy I could put this all in text

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Justal/Zeke,

Thank you for being part of our forums. We are so sorry to hear about the loss of your cat and cousin, it sounds like it's been a really tough time. It takes a lot of courage and strength to reach out for support and we are so glad that you have done so. We hope that you can get some support here, the community will be here to listen and chat with you.

If you would like some further support you can reach out to:

Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800
Standby Support After Suicide 1300 727 247
Suicide Call Back 1300 659 467
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636

You can also reach out to you local Headspace for some counselling and other support.

Another option is accessing counselling through webchat. You can do this through these links:

https://kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling

https://headspace.org.au/online-and-phone-support/

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Justal, I'm terribly sorry this has happened to lose a cousin who was such a lovely person and always wanted to share a hug, some cuddles and embrace others and at a young age must be difficult to absorb as well as the loss of your cat, a friend you were so close to that is no longer with you is heartwrenching and can feel all the pain you are experiencing, it does leave a huge hole in your heart and deeply feel your sorrow.

I know that this seems to be impossible to understand and at the moment it is, but please don't hold back your emotion, you need to cry at every opportunity that presences itself, even when talking to someone who can help you because if you hold back then this will become worse and we don't want this to happen.

If you could contact some of the links that Sophie has given you so you can express how you feel.

My best wishes.

Geoff.