FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I just lost my friend to suicide

Spudnik
Community Member

This is my first post.

Today I discovered my friend took his life two days ago. He had been battling for a while with custody issues with his ex wife. He's seen his kids a total of 2 days this year. I guess it got too much for him.

As we'd both been struggling with depression and suicidal thoughts, we made a pact that we'd call each other if either of us got to that dark place. He didn't call.

I'm feeling a range of things but one emotion that concerns me is envy. I find myself wishing I had the courage to go through with it.

I know I need help but I don't know what to say. I've had counselling but I'm very hard on myself and tend to scoff at people trying to justify my feelings. I don't know what I'm expecting but just thought I should put something out there.

8 Replies 8

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Spudnik,

Welcome to the forum!

I am so sorry for the very recent loss of your good friend. It is so brave of you to come here to the forum for support at this incredibly difficult time. It is encouraging that you are concerned by this feeling of envy, as this shows you have self-awareness and know you need help. Your courage and strength is shown through your ability to keep going and to seek help. It is vital that you make an appointment with your doctor (GP) to talk through the challenges you're currently facing. Your GP may suggest a referral to a psychologist. The first step is seeing your GP though.

Whenever you want or need to talk to someone understanding, you can call the 24/7 Beyondblue helpline on 1300 22 4636. If you feel suicidal or vulnerable, please call Lifeline on 13 11 14.

I really hope this forum can be a supportive place 🙂 I would love to hear back from you, when you're ready.

Best wishes,

Zeal

Spudnik
Community Member

It's so hard. I just get so tired of fighting all the time. Tired of talking.

The only thing that keeps me going at times is my six year old daughter. Sometimes I fall to pieces when she goes to her dad's.

Dear Spudnik

Hello and welcome to the forum. As Zeal has said, it takes a lot of courage to post here, especially after such a loss. Please accept my sympathies for the loss of your friend, I know it is hard to understand.

I have been in your situation a several times. It seems the pain of living is too hard to bear, no one cares and no one would notice if we are not here. And when you are told it will pass or that your thoughts and feelings are normal in the circumstances and will change it's enough to make you want to scream.

Spudnik, it is very hard and I do understand the envy you feel. Often when I heard of someone's suicide I wanted to have the same release from my pain. My children are all adults with families of their own and I have rationalised my thoughts to say they would not miss me.

But this is not the main reason for attempting to take your life. I did not even consider my family or my friends. I was in such a dreadful place I believed the world would be better without me. All I wanted was an end to pain.

Do you have any supportive people round you? People you can go to, not necessarily to talk but just to be there. I was able to go to my daughter's home and stay overnight if I wished. I went to work from there and returned there until I felt stronger. Then I went home and started again.

I don't know if it helps to know someone else has the same struggle as you. It helped me to know I was not the only one going through this dreadful experience. The best way I found was to set some goals. Mainly it was to wait for a certain period but sometimes it was because I had promised to do something. My goal was to accomplish that task or wait the set time and see how I felt. Although I hated the waiting because I just wanted life to be over and done with, it did help me gain some strength and courage, and also to see (sometimes) that maybe there was something to live for.

So only look forward a few hours or a day. The future will still be there but when you constantly look ahead and all you see is darkness, then the hope drains away. Keep your gaze firmly fixed on the next step, the next day, the next hour. It's a bit like exercising, something I dislike, but which will exercise your determination and strength and nurse and nourish you until you can stand alone. It will be hard but you have shown you can withstand the blows you receive. Please trust these blows will decrease and go away.

Keep writing to your new family at BB.

Mary

I want to thank you for your responses.

It is some comfort to know that I'm not alone. I have a made an appointment with my GP. One foot forward... we'll see how it goes.

Again, my heartfelt thanks for taking the time to respond.

Hi Spudnik, welcome

The situation with your kids visiting their dads place. I was a dad in that position. My kids then 7 and 4yo. Me, shift worker, building my own home by myself, sad, depression, desperate. Missed my full time fatherhood and frankly I survived for my kids. Initially I lived in a 3 metres long caravan in a caravan park...my kids deserved better so began building my own home.

One week before separation I was suicidal (my brother and uncle both departed that way) but as soon as I thought of my kids I pulled myself together. Now its 2016. In June 2017 Ill walk my eldest down the aisle. Who would she have chosen to supplement that if I wasn't here?

Your friend had choices. Its a very sad time for you but....you are not her, you are you. I believe continuing to live and devoting tasks in your life to their memory is the way to go. Eg Today I took a garbage bag with my and walked around our country town and picked up rubbish like cans and paper and binned them. I used to see my dad do the same so my drive was dedicated to him. Turn a negative into a positive.

I hope you feel better. We are here for you whenever you want to chat...24/7. Just post and wait for a response.

Tony WK

Spudnik
Community Member

I just thought I'd post an update.

I went and saw my GP today and am starting back on antidepressants. I will follow up with him on Tuesday. I spoke to my family and they have rallied around me and are checking in on me regularly.

My head space, at the moment, isn't much better but I know now that I have many people around me that love me and care about me which is keeping me going.

Thank you all for sharing with me. Reading your stories and advice pushed me to get help. I am terrified about the future but at least now there is a glimmer of hope.

Peace.

Hi Spudnick

That's great news. And thankyou for replying here with your update It doesnt often happen.

hang around the site when ever you feel you need to.

Cheers

Tony WK

Hello Spudnik

Lovely to hear from you and your wonderful news. I know you still have a way to go but with your support team holding you in a warm blanket of care you will get through this.

I know it sounds trite, but every step forward you take moves you away from the precipice. So keep on walking. I promise you it does get easier and you will reach the sunshine. I would love to read more about your journey if you would like to continue posting.

Keep going, keep safe.

Mary