FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I have lost my sister and don't know how to cope

Evarosie
Community Member

Hi all,

I have never posted in anything like this before but i just really need to pour my heart out.

I lost my beautiful sister 8 weeks ago. She was 31. She died suddenly due to an accident. We were extremely close and spoke multiple times a day. We shared everything and she is a huge part of who i am.

I replay the morning she died over and over in my head. I will never forget it.

I miss her terribly. I ache for her. I don't want to get out of bed anymore. I cry all day. I think of her constantly. I don't know how to live without her.

She didnt want to die. I feel so awful for her. She would be devasted this happened to her. I want to protect her and i can't. I should of prevented this happening somehow. She was too important to be gone.

I have 3 kids and i go through the motions every day but i have lost the best part of me. I feel sick that i am young and have to live through this for a long time. It cant be real.

I talk to her all day. I write to her constantly. Of course she never responds. So many things we shared. So many things that only she would understand. ...its all lost.

No one loves me like she does. No one understands me like she does. I just want this pain to go away and for her to speak to me.

I dont know what to do anymore.

13 Replies 13

MNK
Community Member

Hi Evarosie,

I came across your post in my desperate attempt to connect with someone in a similar situation as me. 2 weeks ago I lost my 31 yr old gorgeous sister in a freak accident. She was 6 years younger to me. She was crossing a suburban road at a zebra crossing and was hit by a car. She died on the spot. She had so much to offer to life. She was an amazing person. She had worked hard to get where she was. She has a wonderful husband and they loved each other so much, he is devastated and I am worried for him.
I feel so guilty that I have a seemingly perfect life with a husband and two kids and great job, and she has been robbed of hers. I don’t know how will I ever come to terms with this. I feel like a part of me has died. I am worried that I will just “move on” with my routine and seldom remember her. I am worried that I’m not making any new memories with her. I am sad that she was unable to experience life.

I hope you see my message. I note your sister passed away 5 years ago. I am really sorry for your loss, how are you doing so many years later? Does anything change? Do you have anything that might help me see the way? I have lost faith and no longer have a foundation upon which to live life.

Hi MNK,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us here.

We are so sorry to hear about the sudden loss of your sister and that you have lost faith and no longer have a foundation upon which to live life. We understand this must be such a difficult time for you, so please know that you never have to go through this alone, and support is always here for you.

If you would like to talk to someone, the Beyond Blue Support Service is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We also strongly urge that in overwhelming moments you get in touch with our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).

We hope that you will find some comfort here on the forums.

Latisha_
Community Member

I am so sorry for your loss firstly!

i too have lost my sister 8 weeks ago. She was my big sister my best friend and kind of a second mum as there was 11 years between us. I am. Not sure if I am grieving properly. I don’t cry I miss her dearly. But there is so much going on. My dad is now in hospital with advanced dementia and my husband is telling me I am useless and I am working full time I just don’t know how to cope me all I want to do is scream and go simplex’s where no one knows who I am

Oshinxx1
Community Member
I lost my sister 6 months ago suddenly and I only recently been given a vague answer to how she died, there are still a lot of unanswered questions regarding her death. I lost my Mother suddenly a year ago which has devastated me and now my sister I am riddled with anxiety and depression. It has completely changed my world.