FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Where to seek help?

Private33313
Community Member
Hi guys. I have been suffering from loneliness and depression ever since I came to Australia 3 years ago as student, but in the past few years, especially after the lockdown, it's been particularly rough. I am really shy/scared to seek help as it's heavily looked down on my culture, especially for men but now it's gotten to a point where I just spend my day dreaming about nice things then I go to night thinking I didn't do anything.  I used to breeze through my uni subjects during first few semester but past few semester I failed, first it was one subject, then two, then the same one every semester, I have exam in few days and I feel even if I pass one subject it'll be an achievement, I feel like my uni is going to cancel my course and am really scared, I can't motivate myself to do anything at all, I also gained a lot of weight because of this as well. My life is just on a downward spiral and I feel really numb about everything, can't seem to enjoy anything or have fun at all. I am not really a introverted guy, I used to love going outdoors and playing sports back in my home country, but here I don't have anyone to talk to, I live alone and spend most of my day inside my room doing nothing, I work part time but even there I just go for the sake of it, and I feel I am living the same life everyday. I really want to seek help but I don't know where to begin, if someone can guide me through where to seek help, I would really really appreciate it. Thanks
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Dear Private33313,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

Please note, it’s worth remembering that immediate support is not always available via the forums. Some days are slower than others, and some topics hit home with people more than others. The number of replies received will always vary from day to day.

If you need more immediate contact, please use our support service either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support

Regards

Sophie M

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Private, I'm sorry you feel this way, and it's disappointing that this illness is not recognised by your culture, but this isn't helping you get the support you need because everyone is susceptible to any illness, whether it's mental or something else, we all need an eduction here in Australia and everyone has to eat, MI can happen to any religious/non group and shouldn't be pushed aside.

You can consider deferring your course only until you are prepared to tackle it once again, that's a choice you can make yourself.

Kids Helpline is open 24/7 1800 55 1800 by phone, web chat or online, HeadSpace 1800 650 890 and are operated by trained counsellors who you can contact, but hope you can still stay with us.

Geoff.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Private33313,

Welcome welcome. I'm really glad that you've reached out to us and sorry to hear how much you are struggling. I'm gonna keep this reply short and sweet so that our community can offer support and I won't ramble on 🙂

There are two kind of simple ways to access some support.

1. Your uni. Most uni's will have their own counsellors that you can reach out to. They're free, and completely confidential. This could be the fastest way to access support.

2. Your GP. The reality is there's an overwhelming amount of options to seek help but a psychologist is often the go-to here. Your GP can provide you with a MHCP (Mental Health Care Plan). Here's some more info on that:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/treatments-health-professionals-and-therapies/explaining-the-mhcp-(mental-health-care-plan)-that-we-all-keep-talking-about#qtz8HnHzvGGEbv8AAOnT_A

This year, instead of getting 10 sessions, you can get 20.

I hope this helps a little. You're not alone and I'm glad you're reaching out for support.

rt