FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Taking a month off from work

Edna Average
Community Member

Hi there,

Has anyone taken a month or more off work and successfully transitioned back?

Background is that I had a traumatic experience at work with a colleague making false allegations and the company not backing me sufficiently. I was completely cleared through a formal investigation. However, six months later am still struggling with anxiety and depression as the colleague is still elsewhere in the organisation and undermining me. I’ve developed insomnia and started having dark thoughts.

I know I probably need time off but am worried about the stigma. Any words of encouragement and better still, examples of where this has helped turn your life around? I want to change jobs but am too burned out to perform in an interview right now.

7 Replies 7

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Edna Average,

Im sorry you are feeling this way and I’m sorry for what happened to you at work I understand that would be hard.

Its very unfair that people do this to other people in this workplace just remember it’s a reflection of the person who made the allegations it’s not you.

Have you seeked professional help for your anxiety and depression?

Im sorry you are experiencing dark thoughts I understand these can be distressing. I learned through my lived experience that these thoughts usually accompany anxiety and depression.

Please make an appointment with your gp and discuss your anxiety and depression and how it’s affecting your life, you could also discuss the leave.

Here to chat

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Edna Average,

I'm so sorry as well about what you have experienced. Like Petal22, I would also suggest that seeking professional help would be a good option. And if you feel like you need to take more time off, take it. You feeling well is more important than what people at work will be thinking.

If your workplace is not supporting you, but you feel too burnt out to change jobs, another option is to join a union. Unions advocate for employees and a representative can come to your work to help resolve the issue of you not feeling supported. You can search up what the right union is for your industry and maybe call them up to see how they could help.

Wishing you the best

Beeee

Edna Average
Community Member

Hi all,

I’m doing all the right things. I’ve got a regular psychologist, have called Behond Blue and have tried SSRIs. My GP left the practice but I saw a new one recently and got some sleeping tablets to address the insomnia that has presented itself over the last six weeks. Unfortunately these haven’t worked, and nor has my psychologist’s suggestion to build sleep pressure. I increased the dose last night and it has been slightly better.

I guess what I’m looking for is some hope and success stories on how people have bounced back from a workplace injury. I’ve not gone down the Workcover route as I’ve hear horror stories. However it has drained me of my finances as well as my mental and physical energy.

Hi Edna,

I have had a psychological injury at work. I had to take a month off also. When I went back, I held my head high, that sounds hard and is hard, but it was exactly what the bullies who attacked me wanted, me to come back frightened and shoulders down because I had to take time off work. It worked for a while but I was too traumatized and had to leave permanently. Bullies at work are scared too. But they don't show it. I was lucky and found a good psychologist who helped me through it all and not a work psychologist. Today I am doing something different and it's all much better.

I hope you find some clarity and peace soon.

Leisa68

Thanks Leisa68, I’m glad you bounced back. I think I’m at the WorkCover phase unfortunately. It’s been 18 months in the making, but I hear what you’re saying about holding my head up. I’ve done nothing wrong, but am at the point of burnout.

I am sorry you are at that stage. Make sure you take good care of yourself. I've heard things can get pretty heavy at the Workcover Stage too. Hold your head high, as you say you've done nothing wrong. Maybe there is something out there you can do with people who appreciate you and can work with you. I wish you the best of luck.

Leisa 68

Thanks Leisa68. Yes, after quite a bit of research I think WorkCover could make it worse. Time to have a chat with my employer and see if we can come to a mutually agreeable exit arrangement. No job is worth my health.