FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stuggling a bit here

greykluger
Community Member

So a bit over a month ago I moved down to my inlaws farm to escape the city as the virus ramped up. As much as anything to get out incase SHTF and so the kids had space instead of being cooped up in a suburban block for what was looking at the time like being months and months.

Anyway, down here now, working from home in a tent (because the study is a walk in robe) - no issue there as i have been wfh for years, and the tent isnt a worry at all, im still pretty well set up.

Overall i am completely sick and tired of the overarching family crap. Tried talking to my wife, but she will only talk to me when her mum is around anyway, and to be honest, i am sick to death of her mum. Between the endless reality TV shows, whatever the trending disaster is on facebook and the critisim of everything else.

No one can ever have a different opinion than what is on facebook or ScoMo has said on the day. Letter of the law for everyone, yet their son and his wife come around constantly (she is a cop who was on the virus quarantine checking team), had a butcher and his mate here for 3 days, both go to other jobs in town - yet its my kids who will catch and spread the germs or if i go to the supermarket.

My wife has asked me several times what is wrong, but i have given up answering - because it just becomes im the one at fault. To be fair i just want to go home. I know this is almost over, but its really pushing me towards a bad winter of sadness, and i am sitting here wondering if i should just get a divorce. I just dont want to hurt my kids.

To top things off a good friend committed suicide the other week. 

Yeah - so things are awesome.

2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi greykluger,

We're sorry to hear you're having such a hard time at the moment, being away from your home and losing a good friend.

It is very important and brave of you to have reached out to us here today. Please know we're here to offer you as much support, advice and conversation as you need.

We want you to know that there is always help available to you greykluger. We recommend you check out the information on our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service - https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au/ - there you'll find a lot of useful information and  practical tips to help you manage your mental health during this time or you can call one of our specially trained professional mental health counsellors there on 1800 512 348.

Please check in and let us know how you're getting on here whenever you feel like it.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Greykluger~

I'd like to join Sophie_M in welcoming you here. You sound very much at the end of your tether and it's not really surprising.

To have close freind die under ordinary circumstances can be very bad. Loss, greif, all the things you wold expect. However on top of that for them to kill themselves makes for a whole lot more to try to deal with , even if it is just not being able to understand why. It casts a cloud over all one's own life.

Under such circumstances your ability to cope, if you are anything like me, would be right down and matters you might ordinarily take in your stride seem overwhelming.

You moved away from danger for the best of motives, and they still hold true. It's has some unexpected side effects. You are now in an unfamiliar place not your own, your work out of a tent, and I'd imagine you now have family around you pretty well 24/7. You did mention you worked from home, but even so I'd imagine you are in more constant close contact at the moment with your wife and children, as well as your in-laws.

They too may be behaving badly, stressed out by the PM's accounts of matters and what they see on Facebook.

Not an ideal combination.

As for others breaking the rules, I'm afraid it happens, not everyone takes these matters as seriously as they should, the desire for human contact overcomes common sense. As Sophie says look at the precautions you can take, I guess you can only do the best you can.

The death of a freind, plus all the stress you are going though will take their toll, and I wonder if you have considered counseling to help you over this particularly bad patch. It's a lot less permanent than divorce and may give you the strength and understanding you need, both for yourself and your kids.

Do you think that might be a possibility?

Croix