FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling with isolation

Melissa13
Community Member
I am over living in isolation. Over working from home. Being a single mum. Having my job go from full time to part time. I miss my friends. I miss my family. I have such anxiety and so depressed how do we get through this
9 Replies 9

Rumples
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

He Melissa :0)

Thank you so much for reaching out to our community today, we know that it is not an easy thing to do. We are so sorry to hear what you've been going through, it sounds like it's a really overwhelming and difficult time for you right now. But please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to express your thoughts and feelings, and our wonderful community is here to provide you with as much support, advice and conversation as you need.

Before we start chatting, I'd also recommend you check out this site. It'll help you heaps. https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au/

Okey dokey.... helloooooo sweety! OMG this COVID 19 drama, where do we start? I feel your pain, a lot of us do as we all work from home around the country, isolated within our four walls. I can only imagine what it's like having little ones thrown into that mix, you poor thing, I feel so sorry for you.

Are you keeping in regular contact with friends and family? Face time is a BRILLIANT way to connect, I know do every night. Helps keep me sane :0) It also helps with handling depression and anxiety. Having someone to talk to I find is such a physical relief.

Now, I want you to take a couple of big deep breaths, shoulders back, fix that hair up and let's have a good old chin wag. What do you think?

Love to hear your thoughts

Rumples (BIG hug) xoxo

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi Melissa13 and welcome to beyond blue. for many years I worked from home and had a negative impact on me. Last year I got a job in an office and which was good. Now I am back to where I was. The contact with others is "gone" as you said.

Here is what I do have ... some people I can talk to. I can use zoom software and see other people. It is not the same, I know.

I was at my psychologist last week... and will be starting / creating a new activity planner for myself - to find things I can do to reduce the stress, anxiety, etc. At the same time I am accepting of the situation, despite how much I hate it. Perhaps you could at the threads in the forum on mindfulness and grounding. I have apps on my phone you might find helpful.

I guess from your post the real question is - what part is giving you most stress?

This is a new situation for everyone. I don't have any answers. I can listen to you, to get those things out of your mind and perhaps find some answers to happiness or acceptance, or coping with what is happening currently.

Peace to you,

Tim

Sophie_M
Hey Melissa, 
Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums, we're so glad you decided to join us here. We're so sorry to hear how lonely you feel at the moment. We empathise with how difficult it is to be away from our friends and family. Please know that our community is here to support you and we will get through this. 
If you feel it might be useful, we'd encourage you to visit our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. The website will be regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. 

Many of our members have felt similar and will be able to talk through these feelings with you.  If you would like to post further, please tell us more about what's on your mind and how we can best help you get through this tough period.

I try to reach out to my friends but I feel like I am just annoying them and bothering them with my problems. I don't get much help from my daughter's father he is all talk and no action I feel.like everything is all on me.

Hi again Mel, may I call you Mel? I'm terrible for shortening peoples names.

You're not annoying anyone, you're just over thinking this. This is what part of being friends is all about, being there through the glass of wines and tears as well. It's all not laughter and fun. How about family support? Do you still have mum & dad? Are they able to help. Can you reach out to them? Have you reached out to your local social services to see what they can do to help you?

Back to you mumma bear

Rumples xoxo

I do have a mum and dad but they live 2 hours away and seem more intrestes in playing with my daughter than listening to me. I don't know if there are any support groups in my area with the covid19 I will have to check.

Hi Mel,

Thanks so much for taking the time to come back for a chat. (BIG hugs)

You have to forgive mum and dad, sometimes grandparents get all starry eyed when the grandchildren turn up, it's a very natural reaction. You're probably feeling a bit dejected by this only because you're feeling down and blue. When we're unhappy or depressed, everything seems negative, even loving attention upon your daughter and everyone seems against you.

Most definitely make the effort to see if there are local support groups you can reach out to. They will make a world of difference. Also, have you checked out the link I gave you? - https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au/. There's a lot of useful information there you can access anytime.

I'm here whenever you need me, just reach out.

Your friend - Rumples xoxo

The stress of working from home is there is no social interaction anymore and I don't want to bother my co workers on Skype or zoom as I feel like I am a bothering ppl and too needing. After being divorced for 3 years now I don't bother ppl I keep to myself I am just just riddled with anxiety that I bother ppl so I keep to.myself

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Yeah! I get what you mean by no social interaction. Even though I am married I have that issue. Other people who work I have chatted with reported similar concerns about a lack of normal social interactions. It was a little worse as the person I would normally chat with - I didn't know her movements so I assumed she was always busy and would not call her. We chatted about this a couple of days ago and fixed that matter.

If you were at the workplace would you check in with work mates? What about at morning tea or lunch?

I would also wonder if the other people at work have similar thoughts about other people at work? They might think you too busy and not interrupting to say hello even?