FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Starting work after a long time

Jaradeem
Community Member

Hello all,

I've had depression for the last 17 years which has slowly been getting worse and now severely impacts work choices. I have luckily just found a cleaner job after 6 years of unemployment (filled with light volunteering and study) and am quite nervous, though there is also a tiny amount of excitement.

Has anyone out there been in a similar situation? How did you cope with the change in routine and the general feeling of anxiety (which I haven't felt in quite a while)? Any info would be appreciated.

6 Replies 6

On The Road
Community Member

Hi Jaradeem

Welcome to the forum nice to meet you here 🙂

I'm sorry for how this chronic depression experience impacted you. But you still did so much within 6 years of unemployment (a study and some meaningful volunteer jobs!) I was in a similar situation that have years of no employment. Currently, I'm still in my study and I'm super nervous about future jobs. Plus as graduation is approaching, my routine is gradually changing and I'm also feeling anxious 😖

If you asked me how can I cope with these? I do square breathing which is helpful to me to calm me down. Another thing is to be here to talk with people, here are some supportive people providing general advice from their lived experiences or quoted from mental health professionals. If you like to talk one on one, call 1300 22 4636 or chat online from 1 pm to 12 am.

Take care 🙂

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi,

Welcome to the beyond blue forums!

I am really sorry for what you have gone through. It must be hard. Feeling a sense of anxiety is completely normal. You don't know what to expect.

Trust me on the day you start, all that anxiety will disappear and you will look back and say 'why was I even feeling anxious'.

Changing your routine and getting used to it takes a lot of time. When I started my new job it took me 4 months to get used to it. Waking up early, training, etc.

Seeing a psychologist can help you cope and give you a plan to balance everything.

Please stay safe and i am here to chat if you need me.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jaradeem,

Wellcome to our forums!

Congratulations on the new job.

Im glad to hear you have some excitement towards your new job 😊 focus on that feeling

I’m sure once you start your job everything will settle down for you

Baljit
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jaradeem,

Firstly, thank you, for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Secondly, congratulations on your new job, it is truly well deserved with all the effort, energy and time that you have put into this.

My personal advice would be is to continue with preparing yourself for your new role by gradually changing your sleep and eating patterns and in addition to this I would also recommend finding an activity that helps you to relax and reduce those nerves.

Also, it will most likely be that your new team mates will probably be feeling the same as you on your first day.

Therefore, continue to focus on your self belief and confidence, you deserve this role and take encouragement that your hard work and commitment have paid off, now it’s time for you to enjoy the recognition and rewards.

Good luck 😉

Anonanon
Community Member
It is nerve wracking starting a new job, from my experiences it can take at least 6 months to settle in. Just allow yourselve the time to adjust. Good luck!

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jaradeem

Thanks for reaching out.

people have given you suggestions.

Well done for getting this job. I think having a routine and giving yourself time will hel you.