FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Some positivity for everyone!!!

z0z
Community Member

Hi everybody!

I have just some random advice and maybe it will in come in handy for someone who needs it!

I've found that when my depression gets really horrible its because things feel too repetetive, to combat this I've been trying tons of new things big and small! Obviously depression can make things seem really big and hard to do so don't feel overwhelmed by this list! Just see what might apply to you and your life 🙂

Heres some ideas for anyone interested!

• Explore ~ exploring has been one of the things that is helping me most! wether it's walking one of my regular places but finding hidden gems, going to a completley new place, or even just letting myself get lost in order to find new places! Exploring is so good for your mental health and by seeing and experiencing new things I've found you feel a whole lot better!
  • Create ~ creating is another thing i love! You could paint a picture, make a braclet or even a pair of earrings, buy a colouring book, make a poster wall, sew or embroider, make a collage, start a journal! The possibilities are endless! Not only by creating things are you developing skills, but it's a great way to keep your mind busy and hey, you might even find something you're really good at! If you're not sure where to start Pinterest is an amazing place to find some ideas!
  • Learning/ Educating yourself~ Learning new things can be an amazing way to expand your mind and ideas and find new interests! Theres lots of amazing free and paid resources online for learning all types of different things! Duolingo is great if you want to learn a new language, skillshare has courses on various skills, and youtube has amazing resources with videos from tedtalks and vox! At the moment I've been really intrested in learning about AI art creation, and a very random niche one- videos about big waves??? Whatever floats your boat i suppose (pun intended) Also just going to the library and picking random books and things that interest you!
  • Cooking a new recipe ~ So many people love cooking and baking and its clear to see why! There is something very comforting about following a recipe step by step and enjoying the process and having something you made from scratch!Plus its super rewarding and yummy!!

2 Replies 2

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey z0z,

Love this advice. I'm a very creative person, so your "create" section appeals to me a lot. Learning/educating yourself is another fantastic one, because immersing yourself in a new subject matter can also be a powerful tool of distraction from difficult thoughts.

I'd like to add one! Meditation, or anything to put yourself into a relaxed headspace can be very useful. There are many meditation-based apps that can be really helpful for this, too.

SB

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi zOz

Thank you so much for sharing. You're amazing. Your post is amazing. It's touched my heart and filled me with so much relief and joy. Heartache is something I'm trying so hard to manage right now, while trying to manage (in so many ways) not returning to depression. Can be so challenging, that's for sure. I find when I breath in incredible guidance someone's offered (aka inspiration) I can feel it in such a soulful way. All the tips you mention have elements of creativity in them. I'd seen it long ago - how recreational activities are really re-creational activities - and had forgotten. They're exactly the things that recreate us beyond the depressing sameness that can bring us down.

You are a beautiful sage. Thank you again❤️