FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

Sean_S
Community Member

Thanks Mike,

An excellent list.

Finn1111111111
Community Member
I'm just a kid in high school but even my own "friends bully me and its raining heavy on me any tips?

Hey im feeling really own and have even hd suicidal thoughts any tips on how to pick up?

Hey Finn,

Welcome to the Beyond blue forums,

We're sorry to hear how down you're feeling and that you've been having thoughts of suicide. We recognise that you must be going through a lot at the moment and hope our community can be of some support to you. 

We would strongly recommend that you get in touch with Kids Helpline - https://kidshelpline.com.au/  It might help to talk it out whenever you're feeling overwhelmed. Kids Helpline counsellors can be contacted 24/7 by young people 25 and under via telephone and also via webchat if you go through the website provided.

Headspace is another organisation we would recommend, they are specifically for young people aged 12-25 and they offer a wide range of services including counselling and group programs. They also have a group chat on their webpage - https://headspace.org.au/

We'd also like to let you know that we've sent a private message to check in with you.

Thanks again for reaching out tonight.

Baileybasil
Community Member
It feels like I’ve tried everything on this list and nothing has made me want to be die any less than I do if nothing is helping then what’s the point

Hi Baileybasil welcome to the forums ☺

How sad hearing how you're feeling. It's not at all good and near impossible feeling like you do to see anything much good in your life isn't it. I've been there often.

If you'd like to start a thread of your own we can support you better there as this ones for self help tips for depression.

If you're unsure of how to start a thread if you go to the Red boxes at the top of the page. The first post in FAQ's explains how to go about it.

Then if you'd like to let us know here the name of your thread I'd be happy to talk with you if you'd like.

I really am sorry you're feeling this way it's certainly not how anyone wants to be.

Hope to see you again Baileybasil ☺ hold on there.

Likewise!
Buying (and using) cleaning products is a big mental boost for me. I used to have a shopping addiction, which when combined with depression led to some financial instability for a period of time.

Now, when the urge hits, I buy cleaning products and go to town cleaning my house- I get a clean and fresh space, which helps with depression, and also have the 'hit' of shopping by buying something practical.

Hi FoxandFate thanks for posting good hearing from you ☺ and hi everyone 👋

Good on you that you've found something that helps. I can see sense in what you said about having a clean space helping. Our heads in depression are cluttered so having the place clear makes sense.

I think also what could help is focusing on what you're doing which helps with distraction taking our mind off how we're feeling. We need breaks in the thought cycle.

Good on you beating the shopping addiction. There's a "breaking addictions" thread if you're interested in posting there you or anyones welcome there or anywhere for that matter.

Take care and again thanks for your post ☺

These are some really great tips Mike! I’m having a really hard time working up the motivation to exercise and I think that’s a big part of the problem for me. Combining it with a walk outside and an audiobook sounds like something I could definitely do!

For those with financial constraints, see if you can join the Libby app. Thousands of free audiobooks, all you need is a library card.

whocanhelpme
Community Member

Hi guys,

im quite young and lockdown and unsupportive friends have really got me feeling like i dont really have a purpose and just dont feel like living anymore. im too afraid to commit suicide but i still dont feel anything other than sadness and numbness.

there are very few things keeping me going such as Marvel movies and music but my parents are taking away Disney plus and my spotify account wont be there forever. What can i do to feel something?