FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

Jessica24
Community Member
I had a depression and strong anxiety feeling because I couldn't sleep in my bed. I felt really scared and sometimes I couldn't close my eyes till the sunrise, because I heard some noises. It happened only in my bedroom. I couldn't combat my fear and my mum read that it could be the problem with my sleeping place. We have bought another bed and changed the mattress to the one, that is designed to provide a comfortable sleep. I don't know how, but it worked out well. Now I am not afraid of sleeping in my own room. I suppose it can be a placebo effect but at least it helped. While choosing how to change my sleeping place, I learnt about the efficiency and importance of mattresses.

Hi Jessica, Rarra Lee D and everyone 🖐

Jessica so happy hearing that something worked for you. That must have been awful not being comfy and afraid to sleep. I wouldn't handle that well at all as I imagine many wouldn't.

You wouldn't know yourself now I guess. Good on your Mum reading and following through. Awesome.
Thanks for sharing that valid tip that could help many.

Rarra Hi and welcome as well as Lee D ☺

Very good hearing you're finding this thread useful.
It's good because people try things out and share that potentially helps many people.

I agree what you said about meds helping while we work on techniques which often need practise.

It's about learning to think differently and control our thoughts. We are capable with good direction and support.

True to that its easy to not try things when on meds as they can do the job often.

I hope eventually to be free of meds too. I believe we need to have self managing techniques and control over our powerful minds.

I think one of the most important things is to not necessarily believe and follow through with our first thought that's often negative.

Lee D hi to you too ☺ Have you found any ways of easing your pain?

There are many good ideas and ways throughout this thread and in the forums there's a wealth of information.

Any ones welcome to join in any thread.
Lovely bunch of people here.
It's a very good safe site.

Very best for everyone. Thanks for your input 🌞

Hi Mary, I totally feel like I'm going through the same things like u.I have suffered from severe depression and anxiety for for 26years since age 13.Been through so many psychologists who appeared understanding at initial visits but either lose interest or gave up.im on medication.I'm so fed up of trying ..worse when friends or family tell me to be strong and not be weak..just had a breakdown actually.I want ti end the pain but scared to do it.disappointments of being in and out of jobs...worse when I have ro deal with centrelink des consultants..never can I be able to overcome my fear of them due ro past negative experiences.Lifeline does help I found when I need emergency help

Hi Pinklotus,

Welcome to our online community and thanks for reaching out on this thread to relate to our community. We can hear that you're feeling a bit exhausted at the moment, fed up of trying, and we're sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult journey. 

It's really good to hear that you've found Lifeline helpful when you're needing that immediate support. Please do make sure you're reaching out whenever you feel like you need it. It can sometimes take quite a few tries finding the right psychologist who suits your needs, but we think it's really strong of you that you've been trying. If you're unhappy with your current psychologist, it might be worth letting them know how you feel they could better support you.

It must be tough when friends and family are saying things that might make you feel worse. It might be helpful to join a support group to try and meet some people with similar experiences.​​​You can find information on support groups available on the Black Dog Institute site here - https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/resources-support/support-groups/

If you would like to seek some support from the community, please feel free to also make a thread of your own to introduce yourself.

Guest_682
Community Member

Hi there I’ve had ptsd for 40 years and major depressive disorder for 30 years I’m absolutely fed up tried all the treatments,got heathy and fit it’s now worse then ever

I hate these mental illnesses they robbed me of any chance of a normal life I will never get to see the best I could have been it’s cost me dearly doctors counselors psychiatrist let me down there is no cure or no treatment that works I hate my life everything is difficult

Dear Guest_682,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like things are really tough and it's so brave of you to reach out and share how you’re feeling. What you're going through sounds overwhelming and it's understandable you're feeling so frustrated and let down. We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you. 

Are you aware of BeyondBlue's support service? If you feel up to it, we would really encourage you to get in touch with one of our professional counsellors to have a chat.
We can be reached 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or email and Webchat (3pm-12am AEST) through our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport

freyooh
Community Member

Hi if you're reading this can you help I don't understand,

I was wondering if anyone could help out? I'm really confused right now. Lately I've been crying a lot, now this might not sound too big and like I'm being overdramatic but before this I was pretty numb and barely ever cried.

Some big thing happened at school and basically it feels like everyone is intruding, but I didn't really get it until she came back and I just broke and now I'm just so I don't even know. I just cry at random things and I'm not hormonal or anything.

The only other times I've been what I feel mentally unwell is when I was around 8 and I just cried at night all the time and my parents were so busy with their divorce that they just didn't notice me and then when my aunty died (she died while her kids were away and they found her dead) and I became anxious and scared of death and getting hurt.

This is so much different though I feel unattached to the people around me like I just am in a blur and when I write this it doesn't feel real it feels like I'm lying or something like I can't acknowledge that I'm upset or that I'm crying or like I'm not important enough to tell people that I'm upset and that I just have to bottle this all up, which I've been doing all my life.

If you're still reading you don't have to respond but I would appreciate it, am I depressed or I don't know?

Hi freyoo,

Welcome to our friendly online community, we are so glad you decided to join us here. We know it can be hard to write the first post, so thank you for having the courage. We're sorry to hear that you're feeling this way at the moment .
If you feel it may be helpful to talk this out tonight, you are always welcome to get in touch with Kids Help Line. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under.
  If you would like to seek support from the community, we would recommend that you start a new thread of your own as the topic of this thread is for the community to share their self help tips on managing depression.

Mike84
Community Member

Hi all, here are some things that have worked well for me. I've limited these to the practical doing stuff, rather than the mindset and philosophy goal setting and purpose stuff.

1. Supplements
Fish Oil - supports better mood regulation
Vitamin D - many people are deficient and deficiency is linked to higher risk of depression
Vitamin B Complex - low levels of B6, B12 and folate are linked to depression

2. Long walks
Aim for 10,000 steps in your morning walk and build up from there throughout the day. This stacks well with 3. and also gets you some natural vitamin D from 1. You can also listen to an audiobook during 4.

3. Being outside
Doing this as soon as possible after you wake up is key- take your coffee outside and drink it there.

4. Reading
Read a good mix of self help, memoirs and inspiring books of people and concepts you aspire to. Audiobooks are gold if you are on the move.

5. Sauna
For about 40 minutes, you can get your heart rate up to 150 and sweat out a huge amount of fluid leaving you feeling relaxed and clean.

6. Cold shower
There is good evidence for cold water therapy in improving mood and a five minute cold shower should do you wonders.

7. Meditation
I find this works best after a long walk or sauna/cold shower. I opt for guided mindfulness meditation using the 10% happier app usually for 15 minutes.

8. Yoga
This is the latest addition to my regiment. Once a week, this is a good movement and breathing combination practice that is great for centring you in the present moment. There seems to be good evidence for yoga in reducing depressive symptoms and it gives a positive mood boost.

What has worked for you in this list and what have I missed?

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Mike84 and everyone hi there 👋

Good reading there Mike. Loven seeing so many constructive helpful and informative posts not just here but all through the forums.

Thank you for putting this up and welcome to an awesome community all working together thanks to BB making here a safe place to talk.

I'll be back later (bbl) to talk more with you about these aids.

So until then take care everyone and keep up the great effort.