FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list...

Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses

Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing

Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them

Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily

Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel

Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

132 Replies 132

Roseby
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Dexter,

Your experiences resonated. When and if you are able, please let me know how you are.

Angela_3
Community Member

I would like to add these following suggestions that helped me.

1. Avoid sleeping in - When you wake up, don't stay in bed. Get up and move your body to help moving circulation and energy.

2. Don't miss breakfast - Having a warm breakfast helps to preserve your energy.

3. Doing some exercise after breakfast before to start your day.

These disciplines helped me to think clearly, rationally and managed my emotions better.

giggles
Community Member

Hello

I have visited the site for a few years now but my life has taken a curve that I did not expect at all. I have TYPE 1 Diabetes, for over 50 yrs now, heart diasease, vascular diasease and recently had what I call a new hose artery put in my leg. That was done with the intention to get me working and walking again. Neither of those happened so now we have financial concerns. However I took up Piano 2yrs ago my teacher said I was not allowed to give up when I said money dried up. Wow that was so nice of him.

I took up swimming since I can not walk a long way and miss my nature walks but still manage to take our dog for a walk with son or hubby taking him round.

I thought I was coming right with the depression but unfortunately those thoughts kept coming back and distressing me because all I want like I guess everyone here is peace. Peace of mind everything is going to be ok. I actually no longer believe that but have not completely lost who I am and continue to enjoy the suggestions mentioned in this post and others.

I fortunately have two young grandsons that absolutely bring me joy when we are together.

I have found its mainly when I am alone my mind starts the usual chatter and its beyond me no pun intented why it will not shut down. Especially since I know it is not true.

Learning piano has been one of the hardestthing I have ever taken on but here I am hearing me play.

Must admit I get annoyed when I over hear comments about depression from people who believe its mind over matter. I am not a stupid person so I choose not to engage in educating everybody. With all my health issues I reckon I have enough to content with just getting through a day happily is enough.

All wonderful advice here I can only hope someone does something positive and not expect an answer straight away and this coming from a supposedly patient person I know I had enough of being a patient in a hospital I can tell you.

Agreed. SSRI's are a wonderful trip. I was left stoned and feeling like a zombie that was unable to concentrate. Spent most of my day at work laughing my head off.

Chloe_M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Have been reading through this thread, have seen some very interesting and effective self help tips for depression. I have depression and anxiety; I have tried many of these and find that most work. But what works for some might not work for others.

Keep up the good work and be kind to yourselves 🙂

Chloe x

Nettie56
Community Member

Hi all, this is my first time posting. I've read all of the posts and see myself in many. I have suffered from depression for quite a while now and I struggle daily. I find myself unmotivated, withdrawn, tired and sick of fighting. I also suffer from arthritis and so exercising even walking is difficult if not impossible. I have no friends to talk to as you probably know after a while your friends just disappear. You make plans but end up cancelling because you just can't step outside the house and your friends just stop asking. I do have a wonderful husband but mkst times he just doesn't get it. Feeling empty and I feel I'm just existing not living

Chloe_M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Nettie,

Firstly, welcome to the forums! We are glad that you found your way here 🙂

I suggest that you start your own thread as well as using this one. I will keep an eye out for your name if you decide to do that.

Also, can i ask, do you have a counsellor/psychologist etc that you see regularly? If so keep talking to them, but if not, you might want to see your GP for a referral.

I want you to know that you aren't alone. I to suffer from depression and also anxiety, OCD, and trichotillomania. I see a psychologist and she is lovely. It might be good for you to also see if there are any depression/mental illness support groups near you. If you are under 25 you can also talk to eheadspace with their online chat function. Beyondblue also has an online chat function, and there are also many other mental health lines you can call. They are very helpful and kind.

One more thing... don't be ashamed of what you are going through. Its okay to not be okay, and there is nothing wrong about what you are feeling.

Hang in there, and be kind to yourself!

Chloe_M

Mary56
Community Member
Hi Nettie, i am in same place. Have been on antidepressants for over 30 years. Five years ago things got tougher to deal with . Saw psychiatrist who more than doubled my dose of current antidepressants- one visit and who was going to monitor me. My wonderful GP who is so understanding. Love her but you are alone. I hate the fact that I need to take them and have tried to come off but I did not like my family to see me this way. I work full time and at times coping mechanism declines. Had a breakdown recently at work and needed time out. I hate what this has taken from me. Good times I could have had with my children when they were young. Everything was an effort. Still is but I am getting tired of fighting. Feel dead inside. The incredible love I have for my children is keeping me going. I am tired of talking with psychologists. Right now I really could not say why I get depressed. Why my moods change in a flash. Why I cry for no reason. I so much want to be the real person in me fighting to express herself. Thanks for this chance of opening up a little

Chloe_M
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Mary, and welcome! I hope you find some help here 🙂

Mary56
Community Member

Thanks Chloe,