FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Depression

colleen_neal
Community Member
When i was first told that i have got depression i didnt want to tell anyone about it as i felt that i  was useless and weak,  i just wanted to go under a rock and die.  My life should be great i got married late last year he is my rock which i love very much i would not give him up for the world.   I have got so may good things in my life why am i so sad? why am i so depress ? but i do know this im not going to let it win  i have just started to opening  up and told some of my close friends they then told me that they have had depression and they are with me all the way.   At the moment im looking after number one im trying to do things that i once loved play hockey, out in my garden see my friends etc, Who ever reads this you are not the only one with depression i have it as well, we can help each other xxx
5 Replies 5

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Colleen,

Welcome to Beyond Blue and thanks for your concern for others on the site with depression.  I was once in hospital with bipolar and a good friend decided not to visit for fear of "catching mental illness".   This kind of "fear" of depression or otherwise is funny up to a point.  But then, he was obviously only a friend and not a "close friend" as you describe.

Opening up about any problem seems both a risk and a desire for contact.

Adios, David.

rachaelx
Community Member

Hi Colleen,

How old are you I wonder?
Also, have you confided in your husband? Maybe he may be able to help you.
No matter how many good things you may have in your life, remember that it's perfectly normal to be depressed at the same time. I often feel happy as ever, then extremely low 5 minutes later. I hate it, but I try to fight it. I try to deny that I am depressed, but I see now that admitting it is probably the easier option.

With your depression, did you find that you felt this way before you met your husband? Or has it been a recent thing?

Hi  rachaelx's

Im 36 years of age and yes my husband knows everythng about my depression he was the one that rang up my doctor so i can get help.  i know that my depression isnt going to go over night i have felt like this for a very long time before i meet my husband sometimes i feel like just want to give up and die. 

Hi David,

It is hard to tell people about your problems but if i didnt i might have done something that would have ended up with me not here,im so sorry that your friend didnt visit you in hospital.  colleen

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Colleen, thanks for being part of this new bulletin board.

You have asked the million dollar question, 'why should I be suffering from depression', in general no one really knows, there are occasions where people develop depression because of some circumstances, or it could be because of some genes handed down and we cop it, or it's developed because of work place, or an injury, or because it just has.

Isn't it strange that the number of people we speak to, have either had depression or one of their close friends is still going through it. A lot of people refuse to accept that they have depression, as many look down at us for being 'weak', but it's not that at all, it's just that depression is hiding around the corner ready to swarm onto another poor victim, and suck all their respect from them.

Doesn't it remind you of watching a vampire movie where he needs to suck the blood from a person in order to survive, just as depression does.

Talk to your friends who have encountered this horrible illness, but remember that their experience could be totally different to what you are going through. L Geoff. x