FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mild Depression

Sophie000
Community Member

Hi, I think I am mentally sick. I think I have anxiety or mild depression. I can’t enjoy my life recently, I couldn’t sleep well in the last 3-4weeks like very difficult falling asleep at the beginning and then woke up at midnight due to needing to go to toilet then unable to fall asleep and my mind were full of reoccurring and worrying thoughts. I tried some natural stress relief pastilles and sleep formula but it only worked for the first few days. I went to work with strong headache; I felt a bit relieved with 2 days off. It is hard for me to concentrate at work and remember how to pronounce some words. My memory is not good recently too. But even at home, I have no interest in doing anything and always fired tired and lethargy. When I stay with my two little kids, I rarely feel enjoyment. It is more about my responsibility as a mum, and of course with love. I used to be active in chatting with other mothers to arrange play dates for my kids. But I don’t enjoy doing it now and avoid doing that. I am avoiding making new friends. Maybe because I am also studying part time too. I have hope for future but I am really not well. When I am writing this message and seeking help, I have headache too. I need some help please!

1 Reply 1

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Sophie

You have a lot on your plate: Working, parenting demands, sleep issues, a depressing lack of energy, stress, study demands and a degree of social isolation amongst other things. That's a heck of a lot to be managing on your own. Wondering if there's anyone in your life helping you manage, such as a partner, family members, close friends etc.

I've found, when it comes to facing a whole combo of challenges, there can be all the ones we're conscious of and the ones we're not conscious of. So, we can be dealing with far more than we realise. A good example of that could involve everything you've mentioned on your list along with a significant chemical deficiency. Might pay to see your GP and get some blood work done when it comes to iron, b12, thyroid function etc.

Managing too much in the time we have each day can be something that ends up having a two fold effect. With a long list of what depletes energy levels, there can also be a long list of a lack of energy generators such as the right kinds of meals, restorative sleep, free time for resting energy (aka 'peace'), forms of release regarding tense energy (massage, yoga, strategic breathing exercises to name a few), a sense of adventure that promotes excitement (positive energy) and the list goes on. 'Flat battery mode' can definitely become depressing.

Something else that can be overlooked is a lack of leadership or guidance in life. Personally, if I don't have people in my life leading me or guiding me in managing life (especially during intensely challenging times), I'm left feeling lost with no sense of direction which can become depressing. The inner dialogue at such times can also become depressing. One of the best pieces of guidance, external dialogue, I've ever received in life came from my boss when I resigned from my last job. Before taking a year off work to manage an overwhelming amount of challenges in my life, my boss led me to the revelation 'Anxiety tells you something has got to change. Your job is to listen and start making changes'. She's someone who faces anxiety issues herself and shared with me what she learned over time.

As a 53yo gal who's faced a few minor breakdowns over the years, the key thing I've learned about breakdowns is there's always a lead up. As challenges pile up and begin to tip the scales toward depression and/or anxiety, a break down of what all the weights are about can help make things clearer. Out of all the things on your list, what would you say is causing you the most upset? What is the greatest weight you feel? The lack of help? Having too many things to manage at once? Finding time to study? Inner dialogue? Sometimes it can be seriously hard to pick what is the greatest weight, which is something a really good guide can help identify. Whether it's a life counselor or a uni counselor or some other type of counselor, perhaps it's time to find the right guidance counselor, one who can help make the most difference. Can be hard to find our way in the dark alone. ❤️