FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication impact

Dannybaar
Community Member

Hi
I am new here. I have depression/anxiety. After long consultation with the councillor, I was asked to start with taking meds.
After consultation with GP, it seems with the dose I am on I am not getting the effect I wanted. Please note that I have been on this medication for nearly a year.
Now I have been prescribed an alternative medication.
So my question is, how do I know whether I am feeling better due to meds. I have been working from home for over a year. Working from home had made me distance myself from social scenes, which has started impacting my mind.
When GP asks me whether the med is impacting, not sure how to answer, yes, I feel better more than before. Also, I feel in pits at times. The work is monotonous, and nothing excites me.
So any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks

4 Replies 4

Ikvic
Community Member

Hi Dannybaar,

Im in a similiar situation to you too, so I feel ya. I've been taking a medication for anxiety for the last 3 months and although it gave me a few good weeks I think things are worse now as it makes me so flat. Althought I have no idea whether it is lockdown or the meds in truth.

BUT to let you no, I am not sure what you should do, but I definitely feel ya!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Dannybaar and Ikvic, I suppose once our doctor prescribes us with a new AD (antidepressant) we expect to go jumping through hoops, that may happen or the change we feel might be slow as the AD becomes accustomed to our system, such as, before, we would lay in bed for hours, but now you might hop up straight away, it's not probably something you would notice, but small changes like this may be that the AD is working.

These lockdowns have affected everybody in more than one way, it's taken away our freedom and what we used to love doing has stopped all of this, not only for ourselves but also for our friends/family who have to readjust their lives, so any weak connections may suddenly stop or we don't bother reconnecting with them, so all in all, it's made our life rather difficult and whether or not we agree with what the government have done is your own decision.

If you tell your doctor you feel better than before, their natural reaction would be that the new AD is working, but to you it might only mean that you're able to make another step up the ladder from before.

We need to realise that AD's aren't 'happy pills' they correct the imbalance in our brain and happen slowly so we don't actually wake up and feel 200% better, today might be 20% better and tomorrow might be another 5% but if they give you the opportunity to do what you couldn't do yesterday, then perhaps they're doing their job.

We need to relearn what we were able to do and this may take some time.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Dannybaar and Ikvic, my reply is waiting for moderators.

Geoff.

Dannybaar
Community Member

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your time. I think I have some insight now. I may not agree but I was thinking I will feel something different, clearly it is not and thanks for showing that insight.

This week I will finish with 100mg of an antidepressant and from next week 50mg.

Hopefully, next to next week, I should start with a new antidepressant.

Thanks once again.

cheers