FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Massive guilt

Von is lost
Community Member
I accidentally ran over a cat this morning and it died when I took it to the vet. It must’ve been hiding under my car and I heard a bump once I started to drive and I looked in the mirror and saw the poor thing. I picked it up in a towel and drove to the vet basically in hysterics. They did what they could but sadly he passed away. I haven’t stopped crying since it happened and I can’t stop thinking about his body and eyes and the way he was breathing on the way to the vet. I feel an immeasurable amount of guilt 
3 Replies 3

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Von,

You had no way of knowing or avoiding what happened today. The poor cat picked the wrong place to sit, entirely of its own discretion.

Light a candle and say a prayer for the cat to make your peace - you can feel sorry for what happened, but not responsible for it; you did everything compassionately.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Von is lost,

Oh no! I've lost my own animals and I understand the guilt. It sounds like there was probably no way of knowing it was there, and I don't think it was your fault. Unfortunately, cats are often let outside unsupervised and even caring drivers like yourselves can't see everything.

It's horrible to watch an animal dying, and I'm really sorry you had to see that. I hope you can find a way to forgive yourself, because you did everything right once you realised what had happened.

James

DeepBlue1771
Community Member

I just saw this post, it' a few weeks since you posted it but I wanted to reply.  I'm so sorry you had to experience this, it's something I pray I never have to go through.  I know how distressing it is to see an animal suffering, I remember a few years ago it was a very hot day and a saw a little baby possum on the ground dying I think from the heat, I rang wildlife services and all of that but I cried over it for days even though it was not my pet, I was a mess.  I just want to say that you have a very kind heart and you did all you could.  Life can be terribly sad, the little cat's body is gone but hopefully it's spirit is basking in cat heaven in the love you showed it by caring to take  it to the vet.  Sending you healing energy and peace.