FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost and alone at 60

jenny059
Community Member

Hi new here

im divorced and renting I’m 60

i have no means to get my own home 

I don’t have anything after divorce and very little superannuation 

my ex now has an inheritance and living very well 

my son just built a beautiful home with his wife and kids I’m happy for him

my brother just bought a brand new home around the corner from him financially very stable

It breaks my heart I’m in this position after losing the family home and only having my last pay cheque when it was sold. My ex used our mortgage as his atm so nothing left there.

How do I find happiness and feel secure now. I live pay cheque to pay cheque 

I get so down and worry when I have to retire 

thank you 

1 Reply 1

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello jenny059,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums! It's lovely to meet you here, and I'm glad you've come to speak with us here. It sounds like you are in a terrible financial situation and just don't feel secure, especially when compared with others around you. It's so sad to hear you lost the family home, as I'm sure there are still many memories there. At least it would have been a comfort to know you had a home.

Have you been able to speak to a financial advisor? I think it can sometimes help to have someone talk you through some options when you're already very stressed just thinking about getting by day-by-day. Perhaps by speaking with an advisor, you may feel more comfortable having a plan in place about retirement.

You also mentioned feeling alone in your post title. I don't want to read in-between the lines, but it sounds like you are still in touch somewhat with family, though I didn't see mention of friends. How are you going? Do you have anyone supporting you at the moment?

James