FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lock down

Gonetroppo
Community Member

Hi everybody,

I came on this site some months age, stuck around for a while then wandered off. I've come back over the last couple of days. Life has been a little tough. I moved from Adelaide to Melbourne last November and have spent 6 of the 10 months I've been here in some form of lock down. The isolation has been difficult to deal with (I live alone). I usually spend a lot of time on my own and generally prefer to be by myself. I don't really form strong social networks. I usually get my social contact through work but obviously I don't have that right now. It has been difficult to link up with health professionals, so only been only the meds to get through this. I have been able to hook up with some doctors which has made life a lot easier.

I still struggle and the hardest things to deal with are sleep and work. My sleep is all over the place at the moment. In fact, I can't remember the last time I fell asleep before 3 am. The other thing is work. I don't function well in an unstructured environment and home lacks the structure I need to stay productive. Before I moved here, I lived in two bedroom apartments and I always used one room as an office. I'm in a single bedroom here so I don't have a dedicated space for work. I have fallen behind on a lot on work tasks - something that is causing some stress. I've been trying a lot of things to fix this but haven't yet come up with something that works.

Anyway, that's my life right now. I guess it could be worse.

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Welcome to the forums, Gonetroppo
We're so grateful that you have reached out to our community tonight, we know that it is not an easy thing to do and you have shown a lot of strength in sharing your story. We're also really sorry to hear of the difficult past few months that you have been through. But please know that you've come to a safe, non-judgemental space to talk about your thoughts and feelings, and our wonderful community is here to provide you with as much support, advice and conversation as you need.

If you feel up to it, we'd also recommend reaching out to our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service. The website will be regularly updated with information, advice and strategies to help you manage your wellbeing and mental health during this time. You can also call our dedicated support line, staffed by mental health professionals, which is available 24/7 on 1800 512 348.

We hope that you keep checking in to let us know how you're going, whenever you feel up to it. 

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Gonetroppo~

Welcome here. It may well be that Sophie's advice to contact our Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service can give you better advice than I, however I've faced the problems you talked abut which seem to me to be

inability to work regular hours
not being able to go to sleep.

plus of course being in isolation.

May I ask if you allowed out for any exercise? If you are please take it. Even if you have have never exercised before now would be an excellent time to start. Look on the web and see what is there free for people starting out, you do not want to damage yourself.

If you are not allowed out the same thing applies, pick a starter YouTube channel you like and follow thogh the exercises. don't overdo it but if you can feel tired at the end of the session you have accomplished what needs to be done.

Make a list of everything you can think of you like that's practical, music, reading, model-making, whatever you want.

Divide up your work, easiest ones first and go for half an hour, stand, do a moment's like exercise, then return for another half hour. Promise yourself a little of what you like to end the hour.

Divide up your day and resist the temptation to binge on what you like:). You may end up doing an actual 4-5 hours work , they will be productive ones. You may do less, but still productive.

Of the thngs you like keep the most relaxing one for bedtime -not a fast paced movie, maybe a book or audiobook. You can get umpteen from

https://librivox.org/ plus you may find eBooks to download from the web..

All free. The more soothing the better.

Being by yourself is never good and this is something umpteen in Victoria are feeling at the moment. Maybe you can pick up old family relations or acquaintances again who would like contact with you. Also The Government website

www.cobaw.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Partners-in-Wellbeing.pdf

may have a list of ways to get to know people and chat, Please let me know, I'd be interested.

Hang in there

Croix

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

P.S. Forgot to say, there may be something strikes your fancy at

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/how-to-take-practical-advantage-of-isolation
and
https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/coping-during-the-coronavirus-outbreak

which are on this Forum

-C