FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lacking motivation and depression

TaylaP1199
Community Member
Hey my names Tayla I’m 25 years old and have suffered with anxiety and depression since the age of 14 which has been very up and down over the years. Over the past few months I have been lacking motivation for doing basically anything and feel physically and emotionally exhausted all the time. I have been lacking motivation to work which has been very stressful (work in childcare) and recently started university which is done all alone so finding motivation is difficult. I have not been going to the gym as I just don’t have the energy to go..someone help?
4 Replies 4

Soberlicious96
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Tayla,

Welcome to Beyond Blue and well done for reaching out.

I would like to ask if you have considered that a visit to your doctor may help? Maybe a check up is needed? Or maybe also a counselor, which would give you someone to talk to about what has been happening for you lately?

It's easy to get overwhelmed with things, especially these days. It's important, when you have a busy schedule, to make sure that you are still getting the proper foods, exercise, self care, and rest that you need.

I too recently had a change in my life, in that I began full time work again, for the first time in about 13 years or so! I've only worked part time up until the end of May this year, which is when I started full time work, and yeah, I feel the difference, I can assure you. And while in one way, I feel as though I have a bit more 'structure' in my life, I also have less free time to get things done.

Adjusting to a busier schedule takes time, and as you said, you "recently started university" so that too will take some adjusting.

Is there perhaps some sort of workout you could do in your own home, that would/could fulfill your desire to exercise, but where you don't have add in and/or worry about the time and energy it takes in getting to and from the gym? Maybe put on some good music and do some jumping around the loungeroom?! I don't know, it's just a thought.

Anyway, in the meantime you can keep coming back here as uch as you like. Maybe someone else will chime in with some better advice, or more experience as to what to do?

Hope I helped at least a little bit?

Take care, I'll be thinking of you. xo

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi and welcome to beyond blue

it is unfortunate that when we lack the motivation to do things, it is those very things we are avoiding we should probably be doing. Again, when we are in that place of not wanting to do anything it is hard to get out of that space. This is something I am familiar with myself. I have worked full time and studied part time and trying to meet the demands of both can be hard.

There are a few things you could do and some of these you might already do:

1. deep breathing to help with reduce stress.

2. maybe find a gym buddy to exercise with

3. have a chat with your GP about how you are feeling.

4. there are also threads on the forum about grounding and mindfulness.

I don't know whether you see anyone for talk therapy or take medication. The exhaustion could be related to sleep. When it come the mental heath there are so many things to take into account which is why i mentioned talking to a GP above.

My previous lack of motivation on prev. occasions has also been due to thinking the day ahead was going to be bad (self fulfilling prophesy) and so why start the day!

Perhaps if you could share a little more of your story you might find the cause(s) and from there find some sort of resolution. I hope you will come back and share some more. I will listen to you.

Tim

Hi tim

Tomorrow I have the day of so I will go get a blood test done to check that everything is ok and no underlying health issues are causing this.

You said to share more of my story to here it goes:

I grew up with a young single mother with parents breaking up when I was about 3 months old alongside my older brother. I stayed with my dad every second weekend but he grew an addiction to weed which also caused him massive mental health issues and he treated us badly so I stopped going to his house and hardly see him nowadays.

in 2018 I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of just 23 which definitely took its toll both physically and mentally with all the surgeries, chemotherapy and monthly injections which lowers my hormone levels- may also be causing some of these issues who knows. I guess all the cancer stuff made me feel pretty self-conscious and depressed too.

Early this year I broke up with my boyfriend of 7 months..we got serious pretty quick but then the relationship went downhill as he was very manipulative, controlling and emotionally abusive to the point where I felt like a piece of shit and wanted to end it all..so we broke up

CyP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Tayla ,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sorry to hear about the mental and physical exhaustion. It sounds like there's a lot on your mind right now .
The added stress of being a frontline worker and the plan to study seems like a challenging combination.

Name it to tame it- by talking about your experience is a good start, and we are all here to share.

Try to be kind to youself.
Try to take small steps ?

Maybe try a simple body warm up routine, and some gentle stretches too? I've been using some free versions of sports brand apps to follow along some simple warm-up and cooldown routines . I find this rather nice , just to wake the body up gently , and slowly work my way back into other activities. It take a few minutes so it suits my capacity.

I try to remember the ones that feels good, and practice it some more so I remember the exercise, and use it wherever I go .

And don't forget using some steady, gentle breathing

Feel free to drop back in anytime if you feel like a chat . The forum is a safe place to share ideas, always welcome here

Warm wishes to you