FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Just started meds . Very anxious, depressed, crying all the time.

bonbon
Community Member
Never posted before.  But really need to talk to someone . 

Have been diagnosed with depression and ocd. Have been seeing a physhologist for a couple of weeks . 

The Doc and physch have both reccommended Medication.  I have agonised over taken it as I am still giving my 2yo a bedtime breastfeed ( trying to wean him but to stressful right now )

I took meds first time last night and was terrible , got no sleep and woke up a wreck. Uncontrollable crying , very anxious and couldn't function . Was lucky my partner had the day of work . As I was incapable of looking after my son.

Im so scared and dont know how to cope , atleast yesterday I could function  . Scared how the meds have made me react . I have a 2yo to think about and its not fair on him to see me like this , he keeps hugging me and giving me kisses which is just breaking my heart.

Pleaee tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel 😞

5 Replies 5

bonbon
Community Member
Day 2 on meds and im a total wreck , never felt this bad in my life. So scared and dont know how to do it 

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi bonbon!  Welcome to the forum.  I am really glad that you have taken this step to share your feelings with us here.  The first post is often not easy.

I am not entirely sure about breast feeding and AD's (maybe someone else on this forum has experience with this?).  However, I do not think that you would have been prescribed the meds if there was any form of risk to the baby.  

You say that you have experienced a number of very uncomfortable feelings since you started the medication.  The settling in period for the meds can be several weeks, and it is not unusual at all to have side effects of one form or another (in my case, I have experienced headaches, irritability, sleeplessness and others).  So you are not alone with these feelings.  But the good news is that they will settle down with time.  However, if they persist and make you really uncomfortable, then speak to your GP again to see whether you need to change your meds.

So yes Bonbon, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.  

Look forward to hearing from you to see how you are going.  And, please if you have any question, please ask away.

Take care

K

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Bonbon, as K has said it's never easy to post, because you may worry what sort of reaction you will get back from us, but please on behalf of everyone else your time  is very valued, because we all know how much strain this illness puts on us, plus you also have OCD, and combine both of these together does create an awful problem.

Can I first say that I was too was in the same situation as yourself with both depression and OCD, and there have been many different comments I have had with different people, the latest being with Purelight, so if you type this in the search bar it will come up with all the discussions that we have had, as well as what other people have said.

I would ask your doctor if he/she have put you on a low dose, or perhaps your pharmacist will be able to tell you, it maybe about 5mg or even lower, because it's meant to be introduced slowly on then increased.

I am taking a SSRI, which is supposed to help with my depression and OCD which I have had for 54 years, and after such a long time for having depression I feel as though I have overcome depression, but enough of me, it's your post.

Have you been diagnosed as maybe it could be PND, but what I do want to say is that by having OCD this then means that your routine has changed, and it's never easy to be able to do this, especially when we have 'our daily lifestyle down to a tee', if you know what I mean.

You maybe able to break the tablet in half as I take one and a half twice  twice a day, which means that I have to break one in half.

I am interested in what you have posted, so I hope that you can get back to us. L Geoff. x

bonbon
Community Member
Thank you for the replies , very scarey to feel so alone .
  I got really bad this morning and was sent to the Er department.  Couldn't stop crying and shaking.  Felt like I was in hell. They wanted to keep me in but I had to get home for my son . So they dosed me up on anti anxiety meds and sent me home .
I new that sometimes things get worse before they get better but childbirth was easier than this. 
Just dont know how to hold on , all my hope is gone and I feel like im going to be stuck in this hell forever 😞

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Bonbon

So sorry to hear that you felt so bad yesterday.  How are you feeling now?  Did you manage to get any sleep at all?

The good thing is that you did seek help, I am not sure whether you realise how important that is - shows that despite how you are feeling now, you are strong and determined.

I wonder whether you self-admitted to ER or whether there was someone there with you?  Not sure about your personal circumstances, but I think it is important that there is someone there to support you (husband, family member, friend).  It is so difficult to cope with what you are going through and a 2 year old, as well as working. Can you tell me whether you are trying any relaxation techniques, does not have to be anything fancy, just any simple thing that you do to relax your mind. I tend to put on relaxation music (there is a piece that I posted about on a different thread by Tony O’connor called  "Mountain Forrests".  Sends me into a different space!

Bonbon, believe me, you will get better.

As I said, I hope that you have been able to get some rest, and when you are up to it, please let us know how you are now feeling (and also remember that there is the BeyondBlue support line - see number at top right hand side of screen).

I am hoping to hear back from you,

Please take care

K