FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is this a depressive episode?

Fight_or_Flight
Community Member

Hi, I live a very stressful life, job, home life and constantly feel like I'm in flight or fight response. I'm dealing with some health issues with a loved one and it's changed our lives as we know it. I have previously been diagnosed with Anxiety but of late I just feel so flat. I feel completely isolated with life, I eat, sleep, work and repeat. I feel like I have no excitement in life and when I do it gets cancelled due to health issues, this leaves me feeling really down and flat. I'm tired all the time, loose patience easily, can't be bothered or feel like I have the time to clean my house,look after myself and would love to just go to bed and not have to deal with the outside world. I constantly feel like I have the weight of the world on my shoulders and have moments the tears just fall and don't stop. I feel completely alone in my feelings and just smile on the outside. I already take medication for my anxiety but I just don't know how to get out of this funk. I feel broken!

4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi Fight or Flight,

Welcome to the forums, we are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing here. We hope you find some comfort in sharing here, and in hearing from the lovely community members, many of whom will be able to relate to what's going on for you right now.

It sounds like you've taken some really great steps to get some support for your anxiety, and could do with openning up about this to your doctor, or any professional support you may have to support you with the anxiety. There’s a bit of advice for having a conversation with a health professional here, and you might also like to have a look at these links as we wait to hear from the community:
I know I need support, but how do I ask for it?
Questions to ask your health professional

If you ever want to talk this through with one of the Beyond Blue counsellors, feel free to give us a call on 1300 22 4636, or reach out through Online Chat here.

Thank you for sharing this and giving this community a chance to offer you their understanding and advice. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

That Other Guy
Community Member

Who do you live with? Why are you doing all the housework?

It sounds like you have a lot in your life and you'd really benefit from talking to a therapist. We all have times when we get busy and when there's a lot going on, but it sounds like you have a heavy load and need help to work through it

I live with my partner but he's had some serious health issues and become almost immobile at times. So as well as trying to work full time I'm also his career at times as well.

The worst thing is I feel so horrible complaining or feeling the way I do because he's having to go through so much worse. But it's not been easy with him as well though as I feel he's fallen into depression but refuses to talk about it (very much a man's man). I get the same reception if I try talk about how I feel which makes me just bottle everything up and try carry on constantly.

Hi Fight or Flight

I feel so much for you as you face so many emotions and such ongoing challenges. I'm glad you've given yourself the freedom to come here and express yourself. I hope you can come to change the word 'complaining' to 'venting'. None of us are designed to be human pressure cookers, holding so much in.

Can recall having a chat with my daughter some time ago where I expressed to her my confusion as to why I was feeling both anxious and depressed for no obvious reason. By the way, with a history of depression up until some years ago, whenever I begin to feel the feelings that come with depression I work hard to figure out why I'm feeling this way so I can work my way out of it asap. Not always easy. As I say, on this occasion I just couldn't put my finger on it. She mentioned to me the 3 stages of stress or something known as General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS). She pointed to the 3rd stage, leading me to say 'That's exactly how I feel'. The 3rd stage is about exhaustion, anxiety (including being triggered by even the smallest of stressors coming in), depression, hopelessness etc. Being able to relate to this gave me a sense of relief. Knowing that we're not designed to cope with ongoing stress points to the fact it's not our fault we feel the way we do when it the state of pure exhaustion. It's not a fault, it's a reflection of serious ongoing hard work, work that just won't provide a break. Whether the 3rd stage of GAS is what you're experiencing, thought I'd just throw it out there in the hope that it makes some constructive difference to you when it comes to the way forward. Could be worth a bit of research.

Being a mind/body/spirit kind of gal, I like to look at things from 3 different perspectives - how we tick psychologically, biologically and naturally. Mentally, internal dialogue can become brutal, depressing and exhausting. Physically, the unromantic version of who we are is 'A big bag of chemistry, cells, complex energy systems and more'. Ongoing high cortisol levels can really throw things out. Naturally, our mind and body are highly interactive. Also, we function on energy, something quantum physicists acknowledge. If energy levels are low or exhausted, it's hard to feel much of anything. While we don't expect a flat battery to be functional, we expect our self to be functional with next to no charge.

How to recharge in new ways, under the circumstances, could involve some research. Can you take some time off work for a period?