FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Incongruence

Distractedbug
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same experience as I do in that sometimes I feel so bad about being angry that my kids aren't listening to me, or if I can't do something even when I'm trying my hardest, that I feel like they, along with my wife would be better off without me. It's like as if that one bad part about me is so bad that the rest of me becomes worthless. I can't see any value in the other parts. It feels so intense in the moment. 

5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Dear Distractedbug

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

We are sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time within the family. Sometimes life can feel like we just can't do enough, or that we are not getting any reprieve from the never-ending demands of daily life. It is in moments like these, we like to offer a friendly ear to listen to these troubles and discuss any options or assistance that may be appropriate.

Please note, it’s worth remembering that immediate support is not available via the forums. Some days are slower than others, and some topics hit home with people more than others. The number of replies received will always vary from day to day.

If you need more immediate contact, please use our support service either via phone 1300 22 4636 or web chat: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support
We’re sure we’ll hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards

Sophie M

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Distractedbug

Let me say for one that parenting is THE most difficult job I've ever had. In the good periods, it's also the most rewarding. 

I found Stephen Covey's book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families" a great read as I started my family with one child, then my family grew and grew and GREW! 
Covey had 9 children lol. 

The part of the book I found REALLY helpful, which I think would help you is "Seek first to understand, then to be understood".  There's a WHOLE chapter on this statement alone. Great read! 

Your children will not be better off without you. Although dealing with your anger when interacting with them would be helpful to YOUR health and wellbeing as well as creating a nicer atmosphere at home. 

No one wants to be in a place where people are angry. You wouldn't either I imagine. 

Writing all your feelings out here and / or in a Journal could be very helpful. 
Reflect on the reasons why your anger is sparked? 
When was your earliest memory of NOT being heard? 

A Men's Counsellor could be really helpful to talk things through. The BB Helpline is a great alternative to call... you could try saying to the kids or your wife, "I'm finding things a bit difficult to deal with right now, so I'm just going outside for a while" then you could call a Helpline to get some tips and even referrals to someone for support near you. 

The fact that you said you feel so bad about flipping and you're trying your hardest indicates you WANT help in dealing with your feelings and it's impact on your family's wellbeing. That's very loving. 
Also that you joined the forums! So well done you. 

Abandoning your family in any way whatsoever will greatly impact them negatively. 
Parenthood is a huge responsibility and we often DO need support to navigate this (hopefully) long time journey. 

Chin up! 

Talk soon
EM

Thanks Sophie, your words and the info is appreciated. 

Hi Em,

Thanks for taking the time to write a response. I really appreciate your insight and encouragement. I've never thought about not being heard as a trigger. I've questioned feeling like I'm completely out of control and feeling like I'm valueless as triggers and had some history in childhood of those. I find it hard to step back and examine just how important the issues actually are in the moment. 

Thanks again

Hi Distractedbug,

I'm in a similar situation. It's most difficult when the trigger is your own family - the people that you come home to. I hate the weekends because I have no time to relax. I find looking after my family & housework much more exhausting than my real job. I don't really enjoy spending time with my family. It's all just fulfilling my responsibility.

The only way to maintain my sanity is to look beyond the unpleasant moments and try to look forward to something small eg. chocolate for afternoon-tea.