FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m so lost and alone in life

Strawby
Community Member
Hi I’m new here I’ve just had the worst week and really need to get it off my chest. My partner of 6 months and I just broke up and now I feel so alone in life. I don’t really have any friends and the few friends I have were people I knew through my partner so I’m not sure if they’re going to talk to me anymore. I also don’t talk to my family at all because they’re very toxic and homophobic. So other than my housemate and my cat I really don’t have anyone at the moment now. I’m really scared.

We had to break up because I’m going through a lot at the moment with a police investigation going on about an ex who SA’d me as well as harassment from his family. Being with my partner was the only time since I was really young I genuinely imagined a future for myself. They made me want to be alive and get better but their mental health was getting worse and I couldn’t support them while also looking after my own mental health. I feel really guilty and scared about leaving and I just don’t know what to do anymore.
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hi Strawby

Thank you so much for joining us on the forums and for sharing your story. We can hear that you are going through a lot right now and we are really sorry that you are having these experiences. We imagine it may have been really hard to write this and we want to thank you for showing the courage to share. 

We think that it may be useful for you to speak to one of our lovely and caring team by calling us on 1300 22 4636. You can also speak to us via the webchat if that is easier for you.

We also think it may be useful to speak to 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732 about your past expereinces as well.  

Thank you for being here and for sharing today. Please feel free to join other conversations on the forums and update us here if you feel comfrotable doing so. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Strawby,

Sorry to hear about everything that's going on for you with the breakup. I know what you mean when you say that most of your friends were through your partner and you now feel isolated. Also sorry to hear about the SA from your ex. I can imagine it can be quite traumatic having an ongoing police investigation around it.

It's great that you reached out to these forums though. I'm not sure about other people but everytime I post on these forums I feel more connected and it helps fill that hole that can sometimes come from a lack of social activity. I've just done a brief search and couldn't find any but there also might be online support groups available through 1800respect or white ribbon however I'm not too sure.

I also hope you are able to heal from your recent break up. It sounds like you made a well considered decision when it came to your own mental health. If its of any help, I've found that when I struggle with some of my close relationships I try to use assertive communication skills that I've learned from my psychologist. If you have a psychologist or mental health worker it might be helpful asking them about assertive communication skills if you still want to have that conversation with your newly ex-partner. Its simply a way of asserting your needs while being respectful of the other parties' experiences. If anything, speaking to a mental health professional can help you identify any mixed feelings or uncertainty that you might be having just by having another voice in the room.

Hope this somewhat helps

Bob