FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

helping out my boyfriend with depression

jennyleeeeee
Community Member
I’m not quite sure what to do. I don’t know if it’s depression but lately he’s been silent for whole days and when he does say something it’s very limited. I asked him if he was okay if it’s to maybe do with stress from university or whatnot. I asked him and he told me that he doesn’t think he is okay... I’m not sure how to support him 😞 I have no experience with having or dealing with mental health disorders but i want to help my boyfriend out but i don’t know what I should do
2 Replies 2

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jennyleeeeee

Welcome to the forums and good on you for having the courage to post too!

You are a very caring person doing what you can to help your boyfriend..By asking if he is okay shows how proactive you are! There is only so much you can do with a partner with possible depression Jennyleeeeee

I used to have chronic anxiety followed by depression for a long time. Just as per my own experience..If your boyfriend's symptoms start to have a negative impact on his ability to function effectively on a daily basis his GP is an excellent start. Its really up to your BF to seek help..especially as he has mentioned that he doesnt think he is okay

I have the official Beyond Blue link below regarding caring for a person that may or may not have depression

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/supporting-someone/supporting-someone-with-depression-or-anx...

You did mention a good point about Uni....this can also be a very difficult time for your boyfriend

Can I ask if he has mentioned any symptoms of anxiety/depression?

we are here and listening

my kind thoughts...Paul

UDumbA22
Community Member
Hi jenny
Try to get to his level of thinking and think what would be the issue then just be understanding and talk it out us men are strong headed we need help but wont ask for it we are like baby need looking after