FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello - I'm new!

LVB
Community Member

Hello all.  I'm hoping to be a part of the forum/s, as I'd like to be a part of some kind of circle of support. I'm female and over 60, and I've lived with depression since my 20's.  I am a victim-survivor of childhood sexual abuse.  No one, except a close partner at one time in my 30's knew, because outwardly I present as competent and 'in charge' of myself.....that still continues today, though most of the time I'm a quivering mass inside!  My last relationship ended  3 years ago, which broke my heart after 20 years being together.  I do see a therapist, and I believe she has helped me to 'hang on' - and indeed, build on strengths.  One thing I'm really missing though, is a social community who already know my stuff, my 'baggage', so I can just 'be'.  I'd love to be able to support others too, and I know that is part of being a community - so maybe I can say 'Hello' again - it would be good to meet/talk with you!

7 Replies 7

Sophie_M
Dear LVB

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums we are so glad that you have made you way here and had the bravery to post. We want you to know that this is a safe space to discuss your thoughts, feelings and experiences and receive honest responses and suggestions from fellow forum users.

We are also here 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via our Webchat.  Our team who answer the phones are ready to have a supportive and non-judgmental chat whenever you need it.

We’re sure to hear from some of our lovely community members here on your thread soon. They’re a really amazing community, and will have understanding, advice and kind words for you.  Thanks again for sharing. It’s a powerful and brave first step towards feeling better.

Regards 

Sophie M

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello LVB, & welcome to the Forums,

Reading your post, it looks like we have some things, including 'baggage' in common.

Can't talk much more now, but will 'Follow' your Discussion.

Warmly,

mmMekitty

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey LVB and a very warm welcome to the forums, it's so nice to have you join us. I'm sure you'll have some great conversations here. 

I'm around the same age, which still surprises me lol! I have children still living at home (had 2 sets of children with 2 different husbands) so some have moved out, work full time and have lots of pets. 

I'm very sorry for the loss of your relationship recently. Yes 3y is still recent in my POV. 

Great decision to find a Counsellor to support you. I've also had a wonderful Counsellor for c7y. Kind of happened as a result of attending a brilliant Course called "Breaking Free" at the Women's Health Centre. I was referred to this course by Headspace because of what the children were saying to the Counsellors there. More on that later lol... 

Have you been able to discuss the childhood abuse with your C? 

I understand the need to be able to just 'be' with people who know you. The need for human connections is very strong in us all to a point. 

What are your interests, hobbies etc? 

Lovely to meet you and I hope we can talk again soon, 
EM

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and thank you for sharing your story.

being able to have a community or tribe to to which you belong is important. It is recognised, and if I can steal a few words from Brene Brown ... we are all hardwired for connection.

I would have to say that i have found my community here and I hope you can also. I seem to find the people here have an innate sense of understanding of what others (us) go through and so know how to respond, which we might not find other spaces in our lives.

I hope to see you around the forums.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello LBV, and welcome to the forums. We're happy to have you 🙂

It sounds like you have had some really difficult experiences in your journey, I am sorry to hear what you've endured. It's great you are in therapy and find it helpful.

I look forward to learning more about you and hearing from you around the forums 🙂

LVB
Community Member

Hello Ecomama.  I feel very bad that I haven't responded to your lovely message until now - I hope very much that you're still accessing this forum so that I can thank you!  How are you?  I'm still putting one foot in front of the other - some days are good, some not so good.  I was also made redundant at the end of June, which is pretty scary at my age, so at present I am having a good deal of contact with Centrelink 🙄, and trying to apply for Disability Support Benefit.

You asked me what my interests/hobbies are......they include photography [mainly wildlife/scenery]; reading; walking; the environment and conservation; whilst not religious I do follow Buddhist principles and belief systems; animals/wildlife; meeting friends/going out with friends for coffee/wine/whatever; having a good belly laugh; cinema/movies...and I'm sure there are others.  

What about you?  What are your hobbies/interests?

Thanks for your response all that time ago, and I hope we can talk again.

LVB

LVB
Community Member

Hello Smallwolf

Lovely to get your post/message.  Thank you.  It's great to hear that you access your sense of community through this forum.

LVB