FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Going off antidepressants

ElyseH
Community Member

I have been on antidepressants for over 6 years. For the past year I'd thought I wanted to start going off them. I finally started to halve my dose about 6 weeks ago. The found the physical side effects subsided I a week. But I get angry, frustrated, irritable and hate everyone. As most people would know getting in to see the Dr isn't easy and even pre booking it is at least 4 weeks apart. The psychologist is even longer, more like almost 2 months in between. I had no idea how much they were masking. People try to make me feel better but I don't believe them. For 20 years, I have been like this and I don't believe anyone. To me I see that they don't understand. This is ridiculous, I have been like this for a month and im starting to remember why i decided to go on them in the first place. I lost it on Christmas morning found myself uncontrollable crying to the point I was having a panic attack and nothing anyone could say helped,mind you I was pretty bad and no amount of sweet talking was going to just bring me out of that state. Another family day today and I feel humiliated that I stormed away making a point that I didn't want to be a part of this day and wanted to be left alone. But I don't believe anything anyone tries to tell me. I do wish that someone at least just knew how to help.

I don't initially feel depressed about something. I get upset at someone of something. One person tries to explain away someone else's behaviour which completely disregards the fact that I am upset so I then become upset that they are defending everybody but me. It's any wonder why I have issues with believing people and getting angry that my emotions aren't legit. Apart from being number 5 in a family of 9. People say " don't let your depression beat you, you are not your depression" its hard to believe that when you have had these symptoms since you can remember. I've grown up with these symptoms. I've been wired with this. 

7 Replies 7

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

After reading your post (a couple of times) I was still unsure what you might be looking for. Please don't misunderstand ... it's OK to vent if that was what you were after. If it wanted to chat about what happened and the struggles that is also OK. 

(My dad had a period where it was trying to get off a medication and ...)

Anyway, if you wanted to chat some more, I will listen. I hope you come back.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello ElyseH,

I'm sorry to hear you've found it really hard in these last 6 weeks. I've heard from others that coming off anti-depressants can be incredibly challenging, with very similar symptoms as what you have described really well. I understand you feel really bad and I hope you can get back into the doctor's or your psychologist soon. Have you been able to get an appointment booked?

James

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Elyse

My heart goes out to you as you go through such a brutal transition, one you're feeling so deeply. It sounds so incredibly tormenting.

A little background, so you know where I'm coming from: I experienced long term depression from late teens to 35. Suddenly came out of it then went back in, then out and in etc etc 'til recently (at 52). Out of about 5 different meds, only 1 worked until I came off it so as to have kids. It never worked again after that. I can relate to some of the challenging ins and outs of depression and med factor. It's pretty tough to say the least, hey. Btw, there has always been good reason for every single period of depression I've faced, a fact that came to light only in the last few years. Up 'til then, I always believed there was something 'wrong' with me.

Wondering whether coming off the med has naturally put you back in touch with the ability to sense/feel what's depressing. Life's easier when you've got other sensitive feelers around. For example, if you're feeling a shut down or put down alone, it can be deeply upsetting. If you're feeling the same kind of shut down or put down with other feelers, you all look at each other knowingly because you all felt it at the same time. Later on, you can all agree with a smile, 'Yep I felt that the second that person said it. Why would they say such a thing?'. Then you all wonder together, perhaps reaching the conclusion they're insensitive (they can't feel the impact of what they say).

Whether it's a soul destroying lack of support and understanding, a lack of energy resources in regard to the chemistry needed in order to function energetically or a lack of the right kind of internal dialogue or all 3 combined, a depressing lack is naturally depressing. Can be deeply depressing when we've got no one wondering with us as to why we're feeling life the way we are. Btw, I've found meeting other soulful deeply feeling people tends to positively shift my chemistry and my internal dialogue.

❤️

ElyseH
Community Member

Thanks for replying. At first I think I just needed to get the whole situation out in context in order to digest or make sense of things. End of the day I decided im going to increase my meds back to the full dose regardless of what everyone around me thinks. I thought it was a great Idea but I had no idea what was behind it. One of the struggles being part of a large family is seeking approval but everyone has another opinion which is not supportive of the ultimate decision. I have appts with my Dr which is a month apart these days amd psychologist is 2 months apart being booked out. 

ElyseH
Community Member

Hi James

Dr appts are well booked out it becomes 1 month apart and psychologist is increasing to 2 months apart. 

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

its hard when everyone has their own opinion on what is best for you!  In the end, unless you had the qualifications to talk about some topic related to my mental health ... it was just your opinion - people outside the family would give their input to me and most of it unhelpful.

good luck with the upcoming appointments.

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey ElyseH,

I'm glad you managed to come to a decision on what to do with the meds. I totally understand what you mean about the struggle of trying to seek approval from everyone. It's tough, but I suppose the end goal is to come to a decision that works best for you. Though it can be hard to work out what that really is or means.

1 and 2 months sound like they're long enough in between that it can be hard when issues like this come up. Please feel free to check in here whenever you need, even if it is just a space for you to speak your mind to clarify stuff. I always get lost in my head if I have no one or nothing to share my thoughts with.

James