FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First Timer

BobbyMay
Community Member

Hey everyone,

My name is Bob and I think I suffer from depression. This is my first post because seriously, I have no idea what I am doing. I cant seem to focus on my own happiness and it cuts my wound deeper when I see others move on and easily manage themselves (especially an ex partner). I'm afraid I cant be strong enough, because everything is just going from bad to worse. I have forgotten how to be happy and I wish I could find it again. I know what I am probably saying is silly but I don't want to fall in love ever again. the pain feels so heavy and I feel really lonely. Sometimes I wish I could pop my brain out of my head and wash it. and disconnect any attachments to the heart. I'm currently studying and its just distracting my life. If anyone knows a method that helps them that could possibly help me, I would really appreciate it. ill even buy you a coffee or something. However, knowing I'm not the only one feeling this gives me a bit of courage to do something you know?

Anyways I hope everyone is on the road to recovery and I'd be more than happy to help anyone else out there.

Bob

3 Replies 3

persistence
Community Member

Well done for taking that first step and admitting how you feel.

youre definitely not the only one feeling this way but hopefully we will all get through these rough periods.

keep your chin up 

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Bob,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums. I'm really glad you could tell us how you're feeling. As persistence says, you're not alone in feeling like crap and wanting to give your heart and brain a good cleaning. Hey wouldn't that be awesome if we could pop them out and throw them in the front loader. I think I'd use a heavy duty cycle, trouble is that I'd shrink mine in the bloody dryer!

I'm sorry things are bad at the moment, breakups and losing someone we love is horrible. I agree with you that it makes it worse when it seems they can move on so easily. Truth be known, they probably moved on a while ago or they are hiding it cause no one gets a free ride.

Have you had a look at the "The facts" section of the website Bob? There's a quick assessment that takes you through a few short questions to determine what might be happening with regards to depression.

There's a 24 hour hotline if you need to talk to someone urgently. The folks who answer the phone are trained to help.

There's some interesting reading on grief and loss (at the top of the page, under "The facts") losing a relationship triggers grief - it can be a horrible experience and part of it is depression. It helps to understand the set of emotions that might be experienced during the natural process of grief.

If you feel up to it you could visit your Dr or a counsellor and have a chat.

I experienced the loss of a relationship a few months ago. It had me bed ridden for almost a few weeks. I just wanted to hide and was really angry with the guy who dumped me. He should have known better and claimed to be a helper. But. I had to grieve to understand and resolve the pain. I had to be honest with myself and I had to get help.

Please don't be afraid to ask for help even though you may be afraid of what you're feeling.

Stay in touch.

Paul

Stormy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Bob, thank you for sharing. You certainly are not alone. I have been married once and engaged three times. I haven't been with anyone now for over 5 years for fear of getting hurt again. I have developed massive trust issues. I miss the closeness of a relationship but too scared now to invest emotionally. I can honestly say that I have never broken off a relationship and always hung on to try and fix it,some times you can't, and they will leave you anyway. Like you, I have been amazed at how easily that they can move on.

I hope you do well with your recovery and bounce back better than ever.