FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling Hopeless

downwardspiral
Community Member

Last week I attempted suicide, hospitalized me overnight. Into therapy now. Battled with depression on and off for the last 10 years. Last night I had another breakdown, dark thoughts etc. Marriage is breaking down, which is the main reason for the spiral. Struggle to get out of bed every morning. Everything is a struggle. Don't enjoy anything anymore. Have a therapist, doesn't seem to be helping at all. Work sucks more than usual, which i'm struggling to keep up with because I dont care anymore. I really dont know what to do. Hardly eating, feel sick in the stomach 24/7. Really struggling here.

3 Replies 3

Dragon
Community Member

I would like to ask you a couple of questions firstly, 1. How is your social network ?, friends, family and social groups, these are really important for you to communicate with, when you are having bad thoughts/issues. Secondly how is your relationship with your therapist ?, if your relationship with your therapist isn't 100% then you could consider finding another one. A therapist/counselor needs to have a 100% relationship with you in order for you to succeed. 3rd think of something from the past in which you enjoyed, use this thought for when you having a bad moment ie; Chatting to your wife, or playing sport. Always challenge your bad thoughts with good ones.

Rick (Dragon)

Amanda_A
Community Member

Dear downwardspiral

I am really sorry to hear about your suicide attempt and marriage break down. Please don't give up, things do get better with time, counselling and medication. You can get through this xxx

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear downwardspiral,

Do what feels comfortable.  Take a few sickies.  Get some good rest.   It's hard to eat when you feel anxious.

I'm slightly amazed that your suicide attempt only warranted an overnight stay. Are they short on beds or something ?    A few days would have given your more support and maybe some referrals.  Just doesn't seem like much thought went into it.

Adios, David.