FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling flat after surgery

D Walsh
Community Member

Hi guys,

I had emergency stomach surgery on the weekend and I am feeling really low. All went well with the operation. I’m someone who has a history of depression and anxiety and the feeling of fatigue is something that makes anxious. I know I need to be realistic and just realize that it takes time for my body to heal but I guess I’m having trouble keeping my inner critic at bay

thanks

6 Replies 6

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi D Walsh,

Emergency stomach surgery - that really does sound like a huge event. Your feelings are completely valid, that was a really big thing that happened. I'm really glad the operation went well though.

Do you get discharged from the hospital soon or do you have to stay for a while?

I wish I knew exactly what to say to comfort you, I just want you to know that we hear you.

Please keep us updated

Thank you for your reply. Yes I am out now after 5 days. It was a hard few days.

I had a few sleepless nights whilst I was in hospital and poor sleep is another trigger of mine so that is probably amplifying my head “noise”

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi D Walsh,

I hope you heal quickly…..

I understand …..when I feel really tired I just give myself some self care…. Allow yourself the time you need to heal…. Do something nice for yourself..

here to chat

D Walsh
Community Member

Thanks for chatting. It definitely does help talking to someone.

I slept a little better last night without the early morning wake up with racing thoughts. Still flat though.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello D Walsh, I'm really you have had to go through surgery, it's always concerning when somebody looks inside your body while you're asleep, you don't know what they may be talking about, even joking while you don't know anything, but I suppose that's where trust comes into believing they are experienced in knowing what they do.

If, however, you are suffering from any type of depression, we are always worried about what's going to happen long term and fear the worse may happen, but what we need to do is what we are told to do, but with depression and anxiety we always fear something bad may happen, that's your illness telling you, so try and separate these, your stomach surgery is a part of your body where an expert knows and rectifies a physical problem, whereas with depression/anxiety we need medication, counselling to put us on a new path to recover.

Give your surgery time to heal, your mind can't heal it, so get over this and then you might start feeling better, we hope so.

Take care.

Geoff.

Hi D Walsh,

Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I'm glad to hear that you are out of hospital now. I think you show a lot of insight when you said that poor sleep is a trigger of yours.

I hope you are sleeping better now. I was really glad to hear that you didn't have the early-morning racing thoughts.

I also sleep better when I'm back in my usual routine and bed, I truly feel out of sorts for a while when I am in a new environment.

I am sorry to hear that you are still feeling flat but please do reach out to us when you want to have a chat.