FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

do I need to get committed to get help?

anonymity
Community Member

I've been struggling with with anxiety dyslexia insomnia and depression my whole life (25 y.o) but have always prided myself on being able to get through anything thrown my way so I've never really been incorporated into the system, and I have been able to cope well until recently. After studying tertiary science for 6 years my recent job history is non-existent, I thought I was doing the right thing by just focusing on my studies but it seems I've dug myself into quite a hole by not having recent experience. Having moved 2 hours out of the city to the old family town I'm struggling. I decided to get some help from my new GP the medications have some srs side effects, still here after months. I have to decide between being able to sleep or being able to drive, hard decision when looking for work in a rural area. Being on welfare means I'm on a knifes edge when it comes to competing my search requirements constantly battling the side effects. I know this isn't sustainable so I'm going through the steps of getting help, but it's taking so long. I've driven 500km to no avail this week alone back and forth to the nearest town getting thrown around between my jobserch provider, centrelink and my GP. I've been waiting for 2 months for a CBT appointment and I feel it just wont provide the level of help I need and after all the driving I'm still no closer to getting help, all the while I'm still having to meet requirements. They say until I get recognised though official lines there's nothing they can do and have to meet all the requirements a healthy person would. The problem is it's taking so damn long and I'm concerned they won't recognise my issues and write me off as another dole bludger, as on paper they are all 'new' problems where in reality I've just never gotten help and always been able to manage well on my own. I don't wan't a disability pension or to take a break I just want someone sympathetic to my challenges who can help me through them, at the moment that's not happening and they're just making it worse and the time and miles I'm racking up trying to sort this out is making it worse and getting me nowhere. I don't want to go back to that place they have no idea how to help me they just make it worse, thinking about makes me want to throw up. Can't even count how many hours I've been on hold in government call centres trying to change my situation all the while shaking, struggling to keep food down battling a medicated haze and all for nothing.

3 Replies 3

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey anon,

Yeah very frustrating.

Bumma bout the meds and side effects, jeez sleeps so important isn't it, plays havoc on emotions, big downer when we haven't had enough
So I'm assuming these meds at least give you some sleep?

Good on you with the 6 yr course, wow, that's staying power and dedication. Yes it's unfair needing experience, we don't get it unless we get work to get it.

Things are rough as atm but it doesn't mean they will be in the future Anon.

Can you ring rather than drive all those distances, be hell on fuel bills too I imagine.

Power to you handling all that up till now, wow, big bundle to hack and you have. Things are up in the air atm so it's understandable you're feeling bogged down and frustrated.

Unfortunately they have so many people as you in hard places seems they're understaffed & underfunded usually, could be some of the reasons for delay too

Can't do anything until recognised by official lines, maybe another visit to GP do ya think to get the ball rolling.

Luck
Hold tight there, hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

Dr_Kim
Community Member
Hi anonymity,

Its seems to me that you are in a kind of panic state and you have somehow lost touch with the person you used to be. You say that you have always been “able to get through anything thrown my way”.

Ok.. so what my thought is “ Where is that person ?” You clearly are someone with strengths who has got to this point using a whole lot of coping strategies . Maybe you need to really focus on them . Think of what has worked in the past and see if you can use them again .

It certainly seems like you are someone who really steps forward and tries super hard to get things sorted out . You have completed a Uni degree despite all your struggles. I really admire this.

You are not alone in getting frustrated and worn down dealing with a large bureaucracy  like Centrelink . Don’t take it personally and don’t exhaust yourself with that. Use your energy with them wisely. What I mean is .. minimise the visits or calls but when you do visit , make the visits as productive as possible by being really prepared with all your questions and paper work . 

I think it would also really help to start on a relaxation or mindfulness programme . Now before you roll your eyes ( most people do when i suggest this and they think that it sounds so lame in the face of their HUGE problems ) , know that these programmes may help you get to a position where you can be on hold to Centrelink but NOT feel that you are shaking and want to throw up.

By practising a sense of detachment and calmness may be able to get through this phase of your life in a way that feels more controlled and less overwhelming. 

Don’t lose hope and don’t loose sight of your strengths. You are doing the best that you can given your circumstances and writing in here to us is a good sign that you want to be your best self and are trying really hard to get there . Its great that your GP is on side and trying to help you and that you are trying to get a counsellor too.

Don’t lose hope. Get supports where ever you can and don’t think too far ahead.

demonblaster
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dr K hi 🙂

WOW

Excellent 🙂