FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Diagnosis made me feel worse

Jacq333
Community Member
I got diagnosed with depression and the diagnosis has made me feel worse. Any suggestions how i can get this out my head?
4 Replies 4

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Jacq333

You have written a great post here as our initial reaction to diagnosis isnt a happy one..thats for sure

I was diagnosed with clinical depression in 1998 and the bulk of these awful feelings have dissipated as I have had a great GP (and psychologist for a little while) that have helped me through it ....

May I ask you what your symptoms were....and if you had anxiety like I went through?

You are amazing to have had a diagnosis......some people leave the medical help for years and their depression can become worse (depending on the severity of their depression of course)

Regular appointments with your GP/and/or a counselor can provide the peace of mind you are looking for Jacq

I still see my GP for a 'fine tune' every 4 weeks as he has a strong focus where depression is concerned. I also take a small dosage of an Antidepressant so I have a solid platform on which I can heal more effectively

You can get rid your initial reaction to depression after understanding how common this condition really is....Just my opinion through experience is see your GP frequently for a chat as they treat people like you and I everyday for depression

If you have any questions the forums are a safe and judgement free place for you to post 🙂

I hope you can post back as there are many gentle people on the forums that can be here for you! (and also have depression too)

You are not alone Jacq333

My kind thoughts for you

Paul

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Jacq333

Hello and welcome.

Sometimes a diagnosis is not helpful. You probably had a suspicion that depression was the reason for your feelings. Did it make them go away? Probably not. Looking at all the symptoms can be overwhelming and the reality is you may have only a couple of these. Yes your thoughts and feelings hurt but saying you have a specific MH condition does not make it go away.

In my opinion, when we are told we have such and such illness the person treating you then tends to go for standard repair processes. I think it would be better to treat the problems you actually have rather than include all the problems associated with depression.

So are you being treated for your depression? My somewhat cynical approach apart, therapists have an appropriate way to help people get out of the pit. I think John Bunyan (Pilgrims Progress) called it the Slough of Despair. A good description I suggest.

How to get it out of your head? Every time that thought pops in you need to make the effort to think of something else. Not easy I know but since we are always thinking we need to ensure these thoughts are not taking into the pit.

Physical exercise is also good as the endorphins which are produced by exercise are beneficial for your physical and psychological well being. A good walk every day will make a change in you outlook and ability to choose beneficial activities.

Hope that helps.

Mary

Thank you for replying.

I think I'm more frustrated that it has taken so long to be diagnosed as I've known there was something wrong for about 15 years.

I got diagnosed with anxiety too so yeah just trying to get my head round it all

Hello Jacq

Yes, depression and anxiety often go together. It's rather sad but not really surprising. It is sad that you received no help when you first became unwell. Fifteen years is a long time to wait. While I have every admiration for our GPs in general I know there are a few who refuse to have anything to do with MH issues. And that is sad as they are first line of treatment for MH as well as all the other ailments we collect.

So to start at the beginning. Has your GP sent you to an MH practitioner? Do you feel you would benefit from talking to a counsellor of some sort psychologist/counsellor/psychiatrist? Your GP can make a mental health plan for you to see a psychologist. The fee will be paid by you but with a Medicare rebate. As psychologists do not get usually get Medicare rebates these sessions are limited to six initially and four more if the psych thinks you would benefit. Your GP will need to prescribe any medication but he/she may believe you don't need any. Great if that is the case.

I suspect it would be worthwhile if only to help you understand what depression is all about and how it affects everyone including family. I can understand your frustration. If this had been spotted 15 years ago you may be able to manage on your own by now. But no point in talking about the could-have-been, it's time to focus on the what is.

Have you looked around this site? BB has lots of information on depression and anxiety which you can download or send for. You will see as you get to each piece whether it's a download or send for.

Can you talk about how this depression makes you feel? While I am not any kind of psychologist I also have depression and can relate in general to others. We all have our own stories. It is useful to continue to post and talk about your MH. Even just knowing you are not alone in this is a comfort.

Mary