FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression...a ship on the high seas

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Imagine it. You are a ship in the ocean. 'Normal people' live on land and you visit there often but you are drawn back to your ship at the docks only to be sent off again on a trip to the high seas (depression)

But there is no destination and no adventure In the ocean all alone you shut down the engine because- well there is no sense in proceeding when you have not directional control - no rudder (medication). Perhaps your parents were also born without one, or you had an incident or your construction is made of soft wood.

So you go into the dry dock. Here you are dried of all control where others can evaluate you, ask you questions and repaint you. They install your rudder then put you out to sea. You head off with complete control but you have no map (therapy) nor do you have any contact with others (land) and others feel "out of sight out of mind". Land is not life on the high seas- they wont understand. Only sailors do.

You search through to find comfort to find a map but this map has missing pieces (consultations), much searching is needed to find the missing bit to join them together.(therapy sessions). During this voyage your rudder is unreliable, the linkages are fragile. Your direction is always vague. You stand on the bridge with waves drenching your face often. You often want to kiss the world goodbye as you feel irrelevant, often adrift without energy. Some ships make it to shore but have to use anchors to land so they repel the forces that drag them back out to sea.

Being a ship you will never be thrown onto land like most. But you do get some people waving at you from the shore. Lovely but not enough to call it support. And you do get the odd ship passing by throwing a rope ladder to connect you so you dont feel all alone, nice, but they also have their own problems as they are ships themselves.

You accept that you are indeed a ship and always will be. You also realise that you can let out all of your emotions when ever you want,in your own hull. The echoes are deafening.

The dock managers (psych's) know your struggle but when at sea if you have no rudder (meds) they cannot help you.And if you do not have therapy (maps) you cannot find direction.As you are a ship you will never get to be on land and return to the docks.

You must fix your rudder,you must find all parts to your map and piece them together,you must make the interior of your ship seaworthy (caring for yourself).

Then you can be repaired so you can anchor yourself to shore. A safe ship

14 Replies 14

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Great piece, Tony. Great use of metaphors. Find your lighthouse, my friend.

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Tony

Another great post - it makes so much sense.  I get it!!

Jo

JustTiffanyxo
Community Member

This is such a great piece of writing!

I can empathise greatly with this. 

Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany

Phoenix76
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tony,

I am new to the forum and I must say, I really enjoyed reading your post. Such a great way of explaining how those with depression can feel lost at sea, without the right equipment!

Although, I think I began to feel too connected as I am sure I began to feel sea sick! 🙂

Grunt
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
This is brilliant! Such a perfect way of explaining the somewhat tiresome journey to those who are lucky enough to not understand. Thank you!

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Grunt, welcome

And thankyou for your response. Such a reply from a thread now a few years old is giving me a good feeling.

Cheers.

Tony WK

Grunt
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tony,

I was reading through a post in the introduction section I think and another member posted the link to this. It's obviously resonating. Well done and once again thank you!

Do you mind if I ask ... after all these years, are you still at sea?

Neil_1
Community Member
Hi there Grunt,

That was actually awesome of you to re-invigorate this brilliant post of Tony’s … a couple of years on now, and brilliant that another person shared you with this post.

But also now because you’ve got this post “out there” again on the boards for all to see, a lot more newbies will see this, where they otherwise might not have trawled (got my sea word linked in here myself ) through to find it.

Cheers,

Neil

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thankyou Neil1, nice to hear from you again

Grunt, yes I'm still at sea and always will be. We ships will never be on land 100% but we can do our best to dry dock as often as we can and mingle.

I've had self help though. Please google

Topic: want to be a hermit- beyondblue

Topic: he helped me for 25 years, Maharaji- beyondblue

Maharaji the perfect instrument youtube

Maharaji sunset youtube

There are many more ways I've enlightened my life as much as humanly possible but regularly I'm reminded I am at sea. Being at sea isn't all negative. Google

topic: how natural is our depression?- beyondblue

Topic: depression, is there any positives?- beyondblue

But all this positive attitude originated in 1982 at the age of 26yo. Fully covered in this thread

Topic: 30 minutes can change your life- beyondblue

That was many years before my illnesses (bipolar 2, dysthymia, depression and anxiety) began to emerge. So when the problems began and the challenges mounted, I had an underlining foundation of positivity that remains till this day.

glad to be chatting

Tony WK