FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed.

nib
Community Member

I am not sure what to do at this point?

My mother drinks and gambles excessively, and I am beyond surprised that she hasn't touched the thousands of dollars that is on her credit card yet. I always pay the bills for her using her money that she works for, so that we can live under a roof with gas and electricity, for example, and I make sure that this is done on time. I have tried speaking with my mother about the effects that her drinking and gambling have on myself in particular, but she either totally dismisses it, or she causes an argument over it. Now, I am not perfect, I drink alcohol (I haven't been for nearly a year as I am on a community treatment order and also because the medications I take can cause me to experience a sore stomach when I drink certain alcoholic beverages), and I most certainly enjoy playing the pokies myself. But, I never put in a fifty-dollar note after a fifty-dollar note after and fifty-dollar note in order to try and win the Major Jackpot, which mum has won a few times now. Our arguments over her addictions often become very heated, and it sometimes get to the point where we both assault each other. My father remains neutral whenever my mother and I argue, although he does agree that my mother has an addictions to drinking and gambling. I have tried to remove myself from the situation whenever we argue by simply going into my bedroom or by driving home from our local pub. But this never works, as my mother either follows me into my bedroom whilst screaming at me, or she would ring me and send me text messages repeatedly, demanding for me to answer her. I just can't win. I have also phoned a gambling hotline and the lady who spoke with me was very helpful. She suggested that I find somewhere else to live, but my family are very selfish and will not allow me to live with them, and neither will my best friend and her family. Literally nobody cares about me. They just want to see me miserable.

I love my mother very much, but she refuses to seek psychological assistance in order to aide her with her addiction to drinking and gambling, and with mending our mother-daughter relationship. I no longer have a relationship with my aunt and grandmother, and I really want one with my mother.

16 Replies 16

Goldwing03
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Nib

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your feelings are extremely valid. I think it would be good for you to call a GP or a psychologist who can guide you. Looking into family therapy is also an option, one of my friends has found that it really helped her repair her relationship with her mother.

It is a complete lie that nobody cares about you. There are many people in the world, (including me!) who care for your wellbeing.

Stay safe, and take care ❤️

nib
Community Member

Goldwing03 said:

Hi Nib

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Your feelings are extremely valid. I think it would be good for you to call a GP or a psychologist who can guide you. Looking into family therapy is also an option, one of my friends has found that it really helped her repair her relationship with her mother.

It is a complete lie that nobody cares about you. There are many people in the world, (including me!) who care for your wellbeing.

Stay safe, and take care ❤️

Hi Goldwing03,

I should have mentioned in my post that I do seek psychological assistance from a private psychotherapist, who has been excellent for me. I will speak with her about my relationship with my mother and also about her addictions as well.

Thank You for your comment.

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Nib,

Thank you for reaching out and I am really sorry about what you are currently going through.

it seems like your mother is going through a lot, just try and be there for her as much as you can. I know it must be hard and exhausting. Sit her down one day and express exactly how you feel. Just rant.

That's really great you get psychological assistance. Yes, telling her about your relationship with your mother will help.

Also, I am sure that they care about you. They must be going through their own hardship. I am always here if you need to chat. Otherwise, there is a beyond blue hotline 1300 22 4636.

Please stay safe and motivated.

Goldwing03
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Good on you for getting help! Wishing all the best for you 🙂

nib
Community Member

Hi Sophia16,

I absolutely love your display picture - I am a big cat person myself :P.

I will try and sit down with her and chat with her about her addictions.

Thank You for your comment.

nib
Community Member

Hi Goldwing03,

I also forgot to mention that I plan to go back to headspace too.

Goldwing03
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Nib!

I think that's an excellent idea. Speaking from personal headspace, is really helpful and will definitely improve your situation. If there's anything else you want to talk about, I'm here 🙂

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Nib,

My profile pic is my little kitty Pip. He loves food haha and constantly eats.

I'm glad that you are doing that.

How are you feeling?

nib
Community Member

Hi Sophia16,

He is a cute little Tabby. What breed is he?

I have two cats, one is Domestic Medium Hair (she's all black) and another cat who is Domestic Short Hair (he's white and grey.) The white and grey cat is very naughty, but so loving at the same time. The black cat is less friendly, but we all love her and our male cat equally <3.

I am doing well today. I had netball this morning, but we got our butts kicked :(. How are you?