FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed due to isolation and civil liberty restrictions

Tangney
Community Member
Does anyone feel their depression worsening because they are not afraid of the virus and don't agree with the lock down? I can't stand the isolation and hate the restrictions on my freedoms. I was isolated before this started and now it's worse. I feel that the isolation will actually kill me if it goes on for much longer and I am spiralling downwards. This is made worse by the fact that the reasons for the lock down are no longer in existence. I know that on 1 June things will get better, but it seems like a lifetime away just now. Isolation is used as a form of torture in some countries and solitary confinement is a punishment. I feel that this is being imposed on me, even though I haven't committed any crime. Some people cope better than others with these sorts of conditions. You tube videos, baking cakes, and knowing that flowers will eventually bloom doesn't make any difference. It would be nice to know if there are others who feel the same way. If anyone else out there thinks the same, please post a response.
425 Replies 425

Leisa68
Community Member

Hi Tangney,

I feel the same. To manage my depression I need to be able to visit anywhere I need to. In particular to visit art galleries, movies, and restaurants. Even the library (one of my favourite places to go) is only open for books which are on hold. And even then you are not allowed to browse or borrow. I'm a little confused as all the kids in Queensland are back at schools, why can't we visit the library! And I've never used so much sanitizer. I went to a coffee shop last week and had to give my name, address and phone number prior to eating! I feel like I've done something wrong and wonder if this is ever going away.

However, there are a couple of things that have helped me. Most of the museums across the world have virtual tours on their websites, I have visited the Guggenheim Museum and The British Museum online. I have watched two virtual plays online and have completed a painting online with instructions from a professional. I have also joined an exercise class and commence my new meditation class tomorrow online. Happy to supply details if you would like!

I can understand if you are sick of online activities. It's another near month until June 1st. I agree with you, but in my case, I am trying to not get upset over something I have no control over. I wish you the best and hope that restriction is removed from your area as soon as possible

Kind Regards

Leisa68

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion
Dear Tangney~

To have depression is a truly horrible condition, and even under normal circumstances can be very hard to deal with. When you add isolation on top you may feel the anger, frustration and hopelessness that are all so much part of it.

As someone who has bouts of depression and an anxiety condition I can relate to your feelings. To have curtailed freedom in itself closes so many doors to coping with your condition.

Just the simple fact of taking a walk, which I find helps me take my mind away for a while has been denied, and isolation from other people forestall any distraction or sympathy.

When one’s circumstances change, as isolation certainly has, it may be that having one’s treatment altered to suit could be an option.

May I ask if you have seen your doctor and discussed the situation?

I’d also like to ask, if you don’t mind, if you are completely alone or have others living there with you? If there is then perhaps one or more may be a suitable person to lend support

I cannot deny isolation does impinge on civil liberties, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of that it is unfortunately something we are stuck with for a while - hopefully not long.

You talk of some coping better than others, and are quite right. I do believe that, going on my own feelings, that some measure of coping may be possible. It may not sound exciting but I read to get away from things, and quite look forward to the next chapter set for the evening.

Could you say if there are any matters you might enjoy no matter how small? It may be a book, TV program, pet or watching movies? I believe that is a means of necessary self-reward and actually helps in the long run.

If you would like to come back and say more you would be welcome.

Croix

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Tangney, I can understand how you are feeling and I haven't downloaded the app but ask why wasn't something done back in 2017 where the flu, cold and/or virus was horrific and thousands of people passed away.

If you know someone who has the measles or the overnight bug making you terribly sick, there is no way you would ever get 1.5m away from them, you just wouldn't see them.

Whether or not I agree or disagree, the discrepancies aren't consistent, initially, you couldn't play golf and leave the flag in the hole, but you could walk past someone inches away in a supermarket where staff wore gloves one day but not the next.

The supermarkets have a lot to answer for, instead of the tills overflowing, more sensible control should have begun from day one to stop the panic buying.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Gambit87
Community Member

I certainly understand how you feel!

My depression/anxiety has certainly gotten worse since lockdown/working from home. Thankfully Im back in the office as of today.

Like Leisa68, To manage my depression I need to be able to get out and about and do things, My 2 biggest structures (weekly poker games and taekwondo classes) were cancelled so ive had to find new things to keep me going. I can now say I bake a pretty mean banana bread haha.

Its hard though, so hard but I understand why lockdown/isolation was put in place and I tell myself im doing my part to help flatten the curve and that drives me.

Tangney
Community Member
Thanks to everyone that posted. Since Monday, I've been back at the library several times and I have also been able to go to church and to eat out, with this being made easier due to easing restrictions. I'm looking forward to sports being allowed to have spectators soon. This has made an enormous difference to my mood. However, watching what has been happening around the world and in Australia this past week with large demonstrations taking place, it reminds me that the issue that imposed all of this isolation on innocent people does not apply to all. Watching videos of police brutality being played over and over again in the mainstream media is really awful. But the media has entirely dropped any mention of social distancing, especially regarding the demonstrations when almost every outlet seemed to be obsessed with tracking down and shaming non-compliant people only a short time ago. My understanding is that the distancing rules are still in place. Does this mean that participating in a demonstration of unlimited numbers was always ok throughout this lock down? Maybe demonstrations are like supermarkets? It's ok to go out and march with 10,000 people, but only 50 can be at a funeral and 20 at a wedding, and some businesses (like gyms for example) still can't open. Cafes are really scared of being prosecuted if they have too many inside and have to take names and phone numbers to be allowed to be open, even if tables are in the open air. The hypocrisy of all of this really depresses me and has set me back. Why have people who did done nothing wrong put through all these awful restrictions? Time will tell, I suppose. Maybe we will have to wait 30 years until the papers are released by the national archive. I intend to be alive to see that.

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Tangney~

I am glad you have been able to do a bit more, it may not be the most exciting in the world, but visiting your library is a great change, eating out too. Being able to actually go to church is very special.

You sound less stressed as a result.

TV can be a mixed blessing, a few days ago it was all about isolation and distancing with a daily count of infections being highlighted.

Now evens have taken over, mostly in the US, with huge and consistent demonstrations. Obviously the media will go with whatever seems the most exciting to them.

You are right, during the dodos social distancing went out the window, though to be fair I think demonstrators I saw on TV in Australia did try.

In the US thogh it was a different matter, and peple, knowing they could be made ill came out anyway. I think it is a matter they viewed things have been so bad with stigma and racial hatred for so long with nothing being done that they were desperate and illness in hte future did not count for so much.

It is worth remembering that even after a Royal Commission and other inquiries black deaths in custody and incarceration rates are terribly high in our own counry.

I hope you can get out to a sporting event real soon

Croix

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Tangney, I absolutely agree with you, why are 30,000 people allowed to protest (and I'm NOT talking about why they are doing this) but it totally goes against the principles of social distancing for COVID-19.

No one is going to be fined, yet previously if you were driving and shouldn't have been, you were slapped with a huge fine.

Why aren't at least 30,000 allowed at the races, football or car racing, the discrepancies don't weigh up Mr. Andrews.

Geoff.

eight
Community Member
lapd met on june 3rd and allowed calls from angelenos (basically the stream turned out to be 1 hour of pr stunt and 7 hours of citizens saying the cops were bad at their jobs) and actually they were worried about covid. about how the govt never put in curfews that could be used to keep people home and prevent covid spread until its black people protesting about not wanting to be killed by the cops who protect them. about how medical workers were underfunded compared to the la mayor just approving pouring three billion into lapd. how the cities are reopening too soon did you remember those packed memorial day beaches that were two weeks ago. wasn't everyone shrieking on the coping with coronavirus thread not to trust the media but when the second wave hits the us i feel like yall be agreeing when they pin it on protestors

Hi Tangney

I understand your frustration with the restrictions we have been going through...and yes they have been a pain in the rump for sure.

After having bad anxiety & depression for a long time it has also been difficult for my ongoing recovery as I am meant to get out and about too!.....Its only my humble opinion Tangney...when we were placed in 'lockdown' our government and health authorities didnt know anything about Covid-19 as we have never been in this situation before so they well by doing so.

You made an excellent point about all the social distancing 'going out the window' when the organisers of the protests decided to go ahead despite state governments and Police warnings

I have a relative in the US media who works very hard to bring the truth to the public...I guess its up to us whether or not we choose to view US/Australian news broadcasts..Just for myself I prefer the more transparent news from the US than Australian networks

Great thread and thankyou Tangney!

be gentle to yourself....you deserve it!....Paul