FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed and unsure what to do anymore

DanielC92
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I have had depression, anxiety & insomnia for just over 2 years now as a result of how my former employer treated me and unfairly terminated my employment. I have tried pretty much every antidepressant and TMS with no relief / change in my condition. I am pretty much done with everything because things are not getting better for me. Doe anyone have a similar story where they have been unfairly dismissed and as a result been depressed, etc? How did you move forward?

3 Replies 3

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi DanielC92,

Wellcome to our forums!

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand it would be difficult.

You really can learn how to move forward.

Do you seem to play the past over and over again in your mind?

I understand that your former employee treated you unfairly and dismissed you unfairly….. I understand that this would have felt horrible, it’s not nice to be treated unfairly.

In the past I believe I have been treated unfairly by people, I used to stew on these things but then I learned that by stewing on these things and not letting them go I was only hurting myself.

I learned to let go of things in the past that were hurting me in the present, what I mean by that is……. By holding onto the past I was replaying the same scenario over and over again and by doing this I was feeling a lot of negative emotions…

Instead I chose to embrace all of the good I had in my life, I practiced gratefulness and lived every moment in the “ present “. I chose LOVE over hate and I chose understanding over judgment.

Letting go of the past is very possible you can move forward……… it just takes practice.

You really can adapt to a whole new positive mindset you just need to choose it,

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello DanielC, there are a couple of issues in your comment which may need to be spoken about, the first is, have you tried to contact your union or fairworks to make a claim, and secondly, yes I've been sacked because I was assaulted at work and developed depression but was able to justify a work claim.

I tried many different AD's and eventually found one that had few side effects and have been taking this for 20 odd years.

Being sacked if you have depression is not only awful but it seems to exemplify your condition and make you feel even worse.

To answer your question, is that I was managing a pub and sorry if this doesn't relate to you, but for me it was moving out of there into a completely different situation and atmosphere.

This may not answer your thread but very happy if you want to talk about it.

Take care.

Geoff.

Leisa68
Community Member

Hi DanielC92

I was in the position that you are around two years ago. I was let go unfairly and had no choice, I tried the union and unfair workplaces, but got no joy there either. Two years later and I cannot get a job due to an injury from work but I worked at multiple places (I am a nurse). I have a psychiatrist and a psychologist, both of who are very helpful to me. The only thing that has helped me is talking to them and time. It does get better, and my depression has lifted somewhat to the point I do not think badly about what happened to me and the people who were at the instigation of my dismissal. I also take anti-depressants and I am lucky that they work for me too.

I have joined a club that I actively contribute to and am considering volunteering. Altruism helps me forget about myself as well. It wasn't easy, I won't lie, but the fury and despair have lifted. Time and being busy (when I can I have a son with autism) have helped me a lot.

I wish you all the best

Leisalou68